If Nintendo could bounce back from the N64, they'll be fine

#1gunstarzPosted 7/29/2011 5:23:27 AM
From the point of view of somebody who jumped from SEGA to Sony in the mid 90's, I honestly thought the 64 would be Nintendo's final console. And as somebody who works with businesses of all sizes, I see companies pull moves like this like this a lot. This is a standard move to ensure that the proverbial isn't going to hit the fan at a later stage when it becomes it's harder to recover from lost sales and a shiny new competitor. They need to shift as many units as possible before Vita is released.

If anything, the last gen was the first example since the early 90s of two handheld competitors sharing the same market successfully. I wouldn't expect anything different from this gen. People need to stop worrying.
---
www.petemorleydesign.com // www.alternativesuburban.com
Currently Playing FFVIII (PSP)
#2pikachupwnagePosted 7/29/2011 5:26:34 AM
gunstarz posted...
From the point of view of somebody who jumped from SEGA to Sony in the mid 90's, I honestly thought the 64 would be Nintendo's final console. And as somebody who works with businesses of all sizes, I see companies pull moves like this like this a lot. This is a standard move to ensure that the proverbial isn't going to hit the fan at a later stage when it becomes it's harder to recover from lost sales and a shiny new competitor. They need to shift as many units as possible before Vita is released.

If anything, the last gen was the first example since the early 90s of two handheld competitors sharing the same market successfully. I wouldn't expect anything different from this gen. People need to stop worrying.

good a sony fan not bashing the 3ds YAY :D. i agree with pretty much everything you said there
---
Luigi is better then mario *raises flame shield* proud owner of 3ds and wii member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#3cheeseyrox2Posted 7/29/2011 5:29:40 AM(edited)
The same goes for the Cube.

People generally thought that Nintendo was digging its own grave in that generation. The DS didn't look like it would change anything.

Iwata has been successful with the DS and Wii. This Holiday season will be crucial for Nintendo to start building momentum for 3DS.

Thing is, Nintendo only makes video games. If their video games fail, they fail. That's the advantage the other companies have over Nintendo--if Microsoft's video game departments fail, Microsoft is still the richest company in the world.

So when their systems don't do well, people jump to the conclusions that Nintendo is bankrupt. They're still swimming in cash from Wii and DS over the last five years.
---
If I were stuck on an island with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Modern Warfare 2, I would play Super Mario Galaxy 2 first. People who agree: 222
#4gunstarz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 5:29:52 AM
I'm a fan of both brands for different reasons. Nintendo do what they do really well, as do Sony.
---
www.petemorleydesign.com // www.alternativesuburban.com
Currently Playing FFVIII (PSP)