Troubling trends in Gaming

#1OverlordAlikPosted 7/29/2011 12:08:57 PM
Heads up first: I am Nintendo Super Fan, and I am a Sony hater. Just being honest and up front with it. So that said:

Since Sony has come onto the scene, I have seen a troubling trend of Sony attempting to try and crush competition by using the money they have from their various other enterprises.

It is through this that games have gone from being cheap and easy to produce to becoming multi million dollar efforts. It is for this reason that game developers are much much more careful with the games that they choose to develop (Capcom is one infamous example, but that said many other companies have done this as well)

When you spend millions of dollars to develop a game, it MUST sell millions to be a financial success, which leads to monotony in the gaming industry (anyone like FPS?) Even if a game is good, if it doesn't sell millions, it won't get a sequel.

I hold Sony mostly responsible because they've been pushing this to happen, but 3rd parties also share in the blame. One of the things I liked about Nintendo is that it tried to buck this trend with the Wii, which, while having a smaller library, had more games overall that I liked. They were cheaper to develop for as well. Unfortunately games now suffer from this conception:

Graphics = the value of the game. Sony pushed this on the people and will be further pushing this idea with the Vita. Handheld games will then need to follow the same console model, I think one of the reasons for the DS's success was the easier and cheaper production of games, which made it more appealing to developers. 3DS's terrible release timing could seriously hurt Nintendo this handheld gen and push the trend further into the realm of handheld gaming.

I am a classic gamer, playing since the early 80's so I have seen pretty much every console under the sun. and I still believe that gaming was in it's golden age back in the 16bit era. Games were cheap to make, and fun to play, even the "shovelware" games were better quality than what we have now

Should Sony lose it's competition, and Nintendo dissapears, it will be between Sony and MS. prepare to see games become uber expensive and the end of classic fun games.

Good luck Nintendo, I will support you until the end.
---
Brawl FC: 4382-1634-7585
#2OverlordAlik(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 12:26:06 PM
bump
---
#3Lord_FroodPosted 7/29/2011 12:31:50 PM
Sony systems have games I find enjoyable, I play them. Same with Nintendo. I don't get caught up in the whole "lol company X is horrible for doing that, it's going to ruin my gaming experience"

Anybody worth their salt knows that "trends" like graphics don't matter. And of course making better graphics is a trend. A trend is something that catches on and evolves (or is supposed to at least). I hate how Nintendo fanboys act like everybody and their 360 loving brothers are out to get them.
---
Stop making sense. People are trying to bash everything Nintendo does without thinking. Go somewhere else. - Mattperd, about the 3DS boards.
#4thatguy181Posted 7/29/2011 12:35:56 PM
It's a conspiracy!!

Sorry, your crazy is showing OP. I love my Nintendo games, I love my Sony games, and I love my Microsoft games. It's great owning all the systems. It's great having a powerful PC that can play all the cool PC games too.

When a great game comes out for a system, I get it. I don't have to keep my fingers crossed that at the end of the commercial it says "For Nintendo Wii". It's a great feeling.

Gaming has never been better.
#5OverlordAlik(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 12:47:18 PM
Tell me the last time Nintendo made a 600 dollar system or had 70 dollar games? what helped bring prices down? nintendo's pressence, without them we'd still be paying 600 for PS3's

ps3 has some good games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and RE5 (and well thats all I have except for my 2 freebies infamous and deadnation which i never play) Theres when games go into this multi million dollar production they have change their audiences now the "hardcore" means nothing more than blood and gore and sex, thats not hardcore to me, hardcore is awesome gameplay which is what Nintendo excels at better than any company.
---
#6ChimpsonabusPosted 7/29/2011 12:49:12 PM
Tell me the last time Nintendo made a 600 dollar system or had 70 dollar games? what helped bring prices down? nintendo's pressence, without them we'd still be paying 600 for PS3's

A lot of N64 games were ridiculously expensive.
#7OverlordAlik(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 12:52:26 PM
yeah refresh me on the price? oh and how much was the system again?
---
#8TowelFightPosted 7/29/2011 12:57:01 PM
Hey, TC...I'll leave it to everyone else to point out your crazy...but you do realize it was Microsoft that set the $59.99 next-gen MSRP, right?

And speaking of who should be thanking who, shouldn't you be shaking Sony's hand for the Vita's $250 price tag right about now? You'd be foolish to think that didn't have something to do with the 3DS' recent price down (well, that and the horrible sales).
---
PSN ID: TowelFight
#9ORANGE666Posted 7/29/2011 12:57:18 PM
OverlordAlik posted...

ps3 has some good games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and RE5 (and well thats all I have except for my 2 freebies infamous and deadnation which i never play) Theres when games go into this multi million dollar production they have change their audiences now the "hardcore" means nothing more than blood and gore and sex, thats not hardcore to me, hardcore is awesome gameplay which is what Nintendo excels at better than any company.

First of all Nintendo keeps their game prices the same even 5 years after they come out. Sony drops the prices and releases them in their greatest hits collection at a much lower price.

Nintendo also tried to screw over developers by charging them insane fees for cartridges on the N64. Because they took so long to make, companies had to order them in advance and either ordered too many or not enough. Nintendo made huge profits from this that they did not care the N64 was not selling.

If it weren't for Sony, Nintendo would continue over charging for their consoles and games because they would have no competition.
#10OverlordAlik(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 1:01:12 PM
Kind of like how nintendo is overcharging for game cards which are essentially the same as cartridges? they were cheaper than psp disc on the psp.

again you said they were overcharging on the system, er uh which system was SO expensive? Because I really can't think of any that were overpriced as insanely as the ps3 was.

Sony didn't pioneer disc format, Sega did that
---