*gasp* More Details About Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

#11gransPosted 7/29/2011 2:22:28 PM

when was the last SE canceled a KH game?

When was the last time Squeenix developed a Kingdom Hearts game for a system that may no longer exist by the time it's released?

PSP with BBS. At the time it was first announced, the PSP wasn't doing so hot. 3DS isn't going anywhere. It's not a failed system by any means (it's selling, just not to expectations). Especially now with the price cut, and the holidays approaching with 3 new first party games releasing at that time. KH3D is likely coming next year too.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#12TowelFightPosted 7/29/2011 4:19:08 PM
Actually no, at the time Birth By Sleep was announced the PSP was tearing up Japanese sales charts. The only thing certain about the PSP's fate at that time was that significant Western development would come from nobody but Sony themselves.
---
PSN ID: TowelFight
#13LordAndrewPosted 7/29/2011 4:26:25 PM(edited)
TowelFight posted...
When was the last time Squeenix developed a Kingdom Hearts game for a system that may no longer exist by the time it's released?

Wasn't there a PSP game?

(Not reading ahead is fun.)
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#14gransPosted 7/29/2011 4:45:53 PM(edited)

Actually no, at the time Birth By Sleep was announced the PSP was tearing up Japanese sales charts. The only thing certain about the PSP's fate at that time was that significant Western development would come from nobody but Sony themselves.

Wrong, BBS has been in development long before it was first announced to the general public in '07 (June 05 is the official word on the street as to when development formally began). It was originally going to be for the PS2, and development started while they were still working on KH2 (months before KH2 even released in Japan). When the PSP was released, BBS was switched over to the PSP, it has been in development since the PSP was brand new and still performing under par. PSP wasn't doing so hot at first (or even for a while afterwards), but Square Enix didn't stop developing for it. Crisis Core FF7 was another SE game that started development early on in the PSP's life cycle (it was announced at E3 2004). They seem fairly dedicated to their commits lately, and seem buddy buddy with Nintendo again (after the N64 falling out).

Square Enix is already 50% done with the game and there are no plans to cancel it (they continue to give updates about it and are supposedly very happy with the hardware). Pulling assumptions out of your ass just because Capcom canceled a Megaman game (two in fact including Universe, the cancelling had nothing to do with 3DS sales) does not mean Square Enix will follow their idiocy.
---
-Granville
#15sonicfreak0221Posted 7/29/2011 4:52:53 PM
so are they fighting the Unversed then?
---
I like men. - Crashman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdzjVnH9YoY
#16TowelFightPosted 7/29/2011 4:55:39 PM
This would be at all damning if there where any mention anywhere of the project being scrapped on the PSP. But there isn't because the system wasn't doing poorly enough in 2007 and beyond to warrant any such speculation. And as the game drew closer to release the PSP's position in Japan was actually growing stronger, not weaker.

Sorry, I know you want desperately for it to be the case, but there's no parallel here.
---
PSN ID: TowelFight
#17moogle69Posted 7/29/2011 5:46:06 PM
CorruptedRPG posted...
Birth by Sleep, is that you?

except it sounds better with the whole allies thing. sounds like a console game to, the game might as well bec on 4GB cart imo.
---
playing: Dragon Quest VI
looking forward to: Final Fantasy-Type 0, Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2, ES: SKYRIM V, Dark Souls, Hopefully FFversus XIII for 360
#18gransPosted 7/29/2011 5:47:10 PM

This would be at all damning if there where any mention anywhere of the project being scrapped on the PSP. But there isn't because the system wasn't doing poorly enough in 2007 and beyond to warrant any such speculation. And as the game drew closer to release the PSP's position in Japan was actually growing stronger, not weaker.

I'm not sure what your point is then. There was no word or intention by SE to scrap BBS, nor is there ANY such indication KH3D will be scrapped. I was simply pointing out a system that sold fairly badly (and we had no proof would be around in the future) for some time but Square Enix still decided to fully support. Burden of proof lies with you to prove to people this game is being canned. Quick bit of advice- give up trying to argue, the game isn't canned unless SE says so. And so far, it's full steam ahead with all their effort going into it (plus we've been getting updates lately). So you can stop trying to convince people you know anything about the state of Square Enix's 3DS games.

Sorry, I know you want desperately for it to be the case, but there's no parallel here.

I want what now? I'm only stating the facts, which you're simply just waving aside in an attempt to pretend what i said never happened. You're the one apparently hell bent on convincing people the 3DS is doomed based off horribly concocted assumptions you've pulled right out of your rear end. The PSP had lukewarm sales at first, game wasn't canned, and sales eventually picked up. 3DS had similar issues (far from bad sales) AND had to go through a major disaster in its homeland, and there's no reason to think Square Enix will think any differently with it, especially as we're still getting updates on the game's progress. The price cut is coming, and the holidays plus first party offerings will almost certainly boost the sales figures. End story.
---
-Granville
#19PrealienkingPosted 7/29/2011 5:50:23 PM
Sakurafanboy posted...
TowelFight posted...
You mean it's not cancelled?

Give it time, I suppose...

when was the last SE canceled a KH game? oh right. never. they aren't Crapcom.

It's okay. Megaman Legends 3 would have sucked anyways.
---
Currently Working on -
Warning: all posts after Midnight Central Time are a form of natural high that occurs due to lack of sleep.
#20ashockeyPosted 7/29/2011 6:17:31 PM
Don't feed it grans.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.8