Why is a "price match" even necessary to begin with?

#1BroncavPosted 7/29/2011 12:22:21 PM
According to the Gamespot article, people who connect to the Nintendo eShop before midnight of the price drop date will be eligible for the benefits.

Therefore, why would you even have to worry about doing a price-match? Most stores have windows of time where you can get a full refund on hardware. What is to prevent somebody from buying a 3DS, activating an account at the shop, then simply returning the handheld for a refund and waiting for the price drop to take effect?

Is the account tied to a console serial number?
---
Being a fanboy = Dedicating yourself to and defending a piece of plastic, made by a corporation that doesn't care about you anyway.
#2PhantomSwordPosted 7/29/2011 12:25:29 PM
The account is tied to the console, yes.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#3LordAndrewPosted 7/29/2011 12:29:18 PM
There is no account other than the 3DS itself. Just like the Wii and DSi.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#4Shift BreakerPosted 7/29/2011 12:32:06 PM
Looks like the primitive account system of the 3DS is a benefit in one way
---
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/9/Shift_Breaker.png
http://dlcquickplay.com/user/shift_breaker - My RB3/GH:WoR songs.
#51shadetail1Posted 7/29/2011 12:36:27 PM
The idea is that many retail stores, particularly electronics chains, have a refund policy. If the price drops really soon after your purchase, they'll refund you the difference between what you paid and the new lower price. You don't have to actually return the item.

In this case, you would buy the 3DS at $250, wait a couple weeks until August 12, then go back and invoke their policy. You'll still have the 3DS you bought, and you'll also get back $80.

The trick is knowing how long you have to get the refund. Different stores have different time periods. For some, it is if the price drops within 2 weeks, for others it's 30 days, etc.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#6Broncav(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 2:02:41 PM
Ahh. I understand now. I didn't realize that the console was actually tied to the account to begin with.
---
Being a fanboy = Dedicating yourself to and defending a piece of plastic, made by a corporation that doesn't care about you anyway.