Yeah I'll just say it, free VC games are pointless with emulators for them

#101BladinPosted 7/30/2011 12:26:15 PM
Let's go to the used car example.

2002 used Chevy impala. Buying it from Joe schmoe. Chevy is makin 0 money.

Sooo its okay to find where Joe leaves the car, and go take it? Why not?

"because ill be taking something from Joe, while downloading a Rom I hurt nobody and nothing is taken.

Now here's my question to that.

Why do you feel you deserve to play the game?

If you REALLY want to play them there are plenty of cheap systems.

I have a 3ds.

I bought a gba sp 2 weeks ago for 40, in mint condition. I now have access to every single Nintendo portable game.

The thing is you feel like this "I don't want to spend the money, but I want to play them anyway sooo im going to just take them.

And you have to realize this is 2011 not 1995, just because something is immaterial or data doesn't mean it can't be stolen.
#102SyntaxBananaZ(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 12:28:54 PM
Hmm, I actually am too surprised this topic wasn't deleted for the fact "emulator" was in the topic. But I did try to avoid directly about them and maybe that's valid enough reason.

Anyway just to clear out some issues with this topic:

ROMs are illegal, even if you back them up yourself because the devices needed to extract the game are illegal themselves. It was outlawed around the SNES era, it even says in the manual of SNES games that backing up games are illegal. Well, I don't know if that policy has changed since then (don't see how it could), but there's no legal way around it.

Instead of buying the actual game and getting ROMs from stores, even though Nintendo won't be seeing that money, it's stealing profit for the stores that are trying to sell the games. And yes, VC games on the Wii are a valid point in any discussion of "they are old games and hard to find/too expensive" topics. Yes, you do have to buy a Wii inorder to get those games, but its just buying an N64 or NES; the principal is the same: you need a console inorder to play those games.

As a positive side of ROMs, people can translate Japanese only games using an English patch, and then everybody gets the experience the game in another region. Biggest thing that comes to mind is the Mother series (Earthbound).

And to the people saying that I shouldn't be complaining about the 20 free games, I'm not mad about the offer. Obviously I'll take it, the point I was trying to make is that I wished Nintendo offered another/alternate sort of compensation.

BTW, anyone ever heard of the iQue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue_Player
---
SMRPG Beta & Secrets
http://smrpgsecrets.tripod.com/
#103Cave_LionPosted 7/30/2011 12:54:18 PM
I don't steal my games.

You're right you pay for for games you already own..again.

I don't agree with piracy but honestly 10-20 year old games? who the **** is losing out there? Cmon. People. Cmon.
---
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hKMbtFIe3Z4/TOA9t1fJxXI/AAAAAAAAAEE/ZR579GnYq4o/s1600/56559-184352-183310MOMsucksHeaderjpg-620x.jpg
#104MattperdPosted 7/30/2011 12:56:51 PM
Cave_Lion posted...
I don't steal my games.

You're right you pay for for games you already own..again.

I don't agree with piracy but honestly 10-20 year old games? who the **** is losing out there? Cmon. People. Cmon.

Not me, being young, with no GBA, I can't wait!
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword
#105Cave_LionPosted 7/30/2011 1:04:31 PM
I wished Nintendo offered another/alternate sort of compensation.

Completely agree. Even though i'm satisifed with downloadable games i know someone who doesn't care about downlodable old games and feels like they've been robbed $80. Compensation of actual Value could have been a good optional solution.
---
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hKMbtFIe3Z4/TOA9t1fJxXI/AAAAAAAAAEE/ZR579GnYq4o/s1600/56559-184352-183310MOMsucksHeaderjpg-620x.jpg
#106Cave_LionPosted 7/30/2011 1:08:36 PM

Not everyone i know but a lot of people do. I'm not saying it's wrong, but don't be accusing people of thieving. Who are you thieving from? It's impossible for Nintendo to make money off old games they don't re-release. Buying them "used" gives the money to some other people.

It's like going into an empty abaned toy store and stealing cars...it's stealing because it's not yours but noone will be effected by it.
---
http://www.50birds.com/extan/images/extancavelionsciam83.jpg
#107MattperdPosted 7/30/2011 1:10:57 PM
Cave_Lion posted...

Not everyone i know but a lot of people do. I'm not saying it's wrong, but don't be accusing people of thieving. Who are you thieving from? It's impossible for Nintendo to make money off old games they don't re-release. Buying them "used" gives the money to some other people.

It's like going into an empty abaned toy store and stealing cars...it's stealing because it's not yours but noone will be effected by it.

Um... lol?
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword
#108BladinPosted 7/30/2011 1:23:09 PM
The thing is buying used older games, may not be giving Nintendo any cash but that doesn't matter supporting retailers and resellers is just as important.

It's not even expensive. For the price of a 360 you can get

Gba sp
Snes
NES
Genesis
Ps1

And maybe even more.

Just because something is easier doesn't make it right, nor does.being cheaper
#109psoesmPosted 7/30/2011 1:37:56 PM
The issue has to do a lot with IP laws in the US.Once you buy something(transfer of ownership) it should yours to use in anyway you want. Calling it stealing is even an exaggeration.
---
Hello. I'm Psoesm and I game on Linux!
This ad paid for by Ubuntu.