Why the hell are all the media outlets suddenly saying the 3DS will die?

#1nonexistingheroPosted 7/30/2011 5:35:54 AM
Nintendo just dropped the price a lot. Not only will this attract a lot more consumers to buy it... it will also attract more developers to develop for it, since they know the system will have the userbase to support their games.

I thought $250 was a fair price. $170 is just a steal. And the 20 free VC games... they're just a bonus to me. I could live without them and still not be sour about the price I paid. There's probably just a handful of people that are unhappy with the 20 games anyway.

Anyway, I don't see how the 3DS can possibly fail now.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2FelineCyborgPosted 7/30/2011 5:37:18 AM

I thought $250 was a fair price.

Apparently the general consumer market does not agree with you.
---
"I can't enjoy anything unless everybody is, one guy starving some place puts a crimp on my evening" - Woody Allen
#3mcsmellingtonPosted 7/30/2011 5:38:35 AM
I know it's not a good indication of anything, but I found it interesting that the majority of people in today's poll have said the price will still not get them to buy a 3DS.

And I think all these doom and gloom stories are because a lot of people do see the 3DS as in trouble, and that makes for interesting reports. Personally I agree, the 3DS does seem like it was in trouble; just talking to people I know, not one person has expressed an interest in it, and many didn't even know what it was. Again, I know it's not indicative of anything, but I found it interesting nonetheless.
---
GT: McPoo
#4SkittyOnWailordPosted 7/30/2011 5:41:09 AM(edited)

So that more people will go to their site? Think about it, now that you've made this topic even more people are going to go search these "sites" that you speak of. Just like with troll topics, if you annoy people with a comment then more people will read it and comment on how they're wrong. So whether it's true that Nintendo is in trouble or not, it makes for good news.
---
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
#5DahlVaughnniPosted 7/30/2011 5:44:00 AM
The 3ds is not going to fail, but these media outlets have a perfectly good reason for thinking it will.

As much as I hate to say it, the fact of the matter is that the 3ds won't sell well until it's been cracked to play roms. This is what made the DS so radically successful, believe it or not. Developers may have suffered, but the hardware sold like crazy. Most people started off being honest with the DS, but halfway through its lifespan the piracy market took off and almost everyone changed from buying to stealing.

Disgusting maybe, but true. I don't support it myself, but it would be silly to ignore the strong evidence.
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#6Cammie_DunawayPosted 7/30/2011 5:51:27 AM
As much as I hate to say it, the fact of the matter is that the 3ds won't sell well until it's been cracked to play roms. This is what made the DS so radically successful, believe it or not. Developers may have suffered, but the hardware sold like crazy. Most people started off being honest with the DS, but halfway through its lifespan the piracy market took off and almost everyone changed from buying to stealing.

You're talking about developing countries, right? Because pirates account for a tiny proportion of the userbase in the US.

---
#7Mario_BonesPosted 7/30/2011 5:52:10 AM
SkittyOnWailord posted...

So that more people will go to their site? Think about it, now that you've made this topic even more people are going to go search these "sites" that you speak of. Just like with troll topics, if you annoy people with a comment then more people will read it and comment on how they're wrong. So whether it's true that Nintendo is in trouble or not, it makes for good news.

Exactly this.
---
Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3! http://i56.tinypic.com/2i67ix.png
Official Steel Samurai of the MvC3 board
#8lambchipsPosted 7/30/2011 5:55:12 AM
because NONE of these guys lived through the 2 year psp drought or the 1 year ds drought
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#9Ben ReillyPosted 7/30/2011 5:56:38 AM
Combination of falling stock price (lowest it's been in 6 years), falling unit sales for 3DS and Wii, falling Software Sales, games being canceled, and competition from MS and Sony.

Then the fact that every Nintendo system (actually every system from any company) that has had a price drop this early in the life has struggled and failed compared to the competition.
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#10kjingofthehill_Posted 7/30/2011 6:12:31 AM
I think the reason why the 3ds will not succeed like the ds is because casual gamers who were once on the ds and now are all android/ ios gamers, it was the mass who made the ds popular. Now they are on a platform with cool new gadgets that makes calls, plays music and videos, and surf the internet in a sleek device in which games cost way less than a game card.