What's really going on with 3DS

#1Nintendo_ClerkPosted 7/30/2011 6:11:10 AM
Ya, Google and Apple are taking market share. But besides that, $250 is pricey, I personally love my 3DS, but there just aren't many games for it. I do believe they should have marketed it better, like the recent UK commercial. Emphasizing that this isn't a DS revision.

I love Zelda, and it's great to have a remastered version of this, especially in portable form. Resident Evil Mercanaries is very addictiing and also fitting for a portable version. And I live in reality, so I don't care that you can't delete the saves. I also enjoyed Pilotwings more than I though.

Since then, I've downloaded some virtual console games, Netlifx, Nintendo Video, all that stuff. I love taking it with me in hopes of collecting Miis.

But I think one of the biggest problems, if not the biggest, that no one seems to talk about are the 3rd party games/developers. They complain that Nintendo games only sell, that they want a piece of that pie. So Nintendo basically let's them have the launch of this system. Save for a few Nintendo produced games. And what do they do? They release ports, remakes or sequels that really don't matter that much, at least not at the launch. Nintendo had sequels too, but it's Nintendo. Whether you liked Pilotwings or Nintendogs doens

So the 3rd party developers get nervous for lack of install base and cancel/delay their games. A system needs games to grow it's install base. I do think that the 3DS will increase it, especially with the price cut now, and that it'll become a big success. It is a great system, despite some shortcomings.
---
I met Dan Aykroyd.
#2blablablax17Posted 7/30/2011 6:42:59 AM
Nintendo_Clerk posted...
Ya, Google and Apple are taking market share. But besides that, $250 is pricey, I personally love my 3DS, but there just aren't many games for it. I do believe they should have marketed it better, like the recent UK commercial. Emphasizing that this isn't a DS revision.

I love Zelda, and it's great to have a remastered version of this, especially in portable form. Resident Evil Mercanaries is very addictiing and also fitting for a portable version. And I live in reality, so I don't care that you can't delete the saves. I also enjoyed Pilotwings more than I though.

Since then, I've downloaded some virtual console games, Netlifx, Nintendo Video, all that stuff. I love taking it with me in hopes of collecting Miis.

But I think one of the biggest problems, if not the biggest, that no one seems to talk about are the 3rd party games/developers. They complain that Nintendo games only sell, that they want a piece of that pie. So Nintendo basically let's them have the launch of this system. Save for a few Nintendo produced games. And what do they do? They release ports, remakes or sequels that really don't matter that much, at least not at the launch. Nintendo had sequels too, but it's Nintendo. Whether you liked Pilotwings or Nintendogs doens

So the 3rd party developers get nervous for lack of install base and cancel/delay their games. A system needs games to grow it's install base. I do think that the 3DS will increase it, especially with the price cut now, and that it'll become a big success. It is a great system, despite some shortcomings.

i stopped reading there
>_>
#3SlaysmePosted 7/30/2011 7:17:49 AM
Then why did you bother to post? Blinded , I say!
---
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and archaic business practice.
#4trenkenPosted 7/30/2011 7:21:13 AM
Marketing isnt really the issue, it's the system itself. So many people already own DSs, with tons of games out for it.

This looks like a DS, shares many of the same features, and even has DS in the name. It has almost no games worth owning in many peoples eyes, and even at $169 is a lot to spend for a lot of people.

This is why all these articles are popping up that the 3DS may never really be that successful. It's really a tough sell to the average consumer. If this looked entirely different with next to no relation to the original DS, then it would stand a much better chance. A commercial saying this isnt really a DS is not going to help much.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#5lambchipsPosted 7/30/2011 7:25:12 AM
LMAO, i like the TC's display name
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#6Nintendo_Clerk(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 7:43:47 AM
But new marketing would help it. I'm actually expecting a revision now, sometime next year that will make it look a lot less like a DS. And of course, I'm gonna want it. Especially if it has better battery life and a bigger sweet spot for 3D. But in reality, if this system launched with some big games, MAYBE we wouldn't be discussing any of this.
---
I met Dan Aykroyd.
#7ElmntEarth4LifePosted 7/30/2011 8:05:03 AM
I actually agree with your first post. SSIV was one of the higher selling launch titles, and 3rd parties had every chance to make as big an impact as they wanted on the system. It's their fault and now we're seeing them backing down like cowards because they couldnt make their quick buck with their cheap cash-ins
---
Warning: This post contains scenes of explicit violence and gore
Steam ID: Bloody_Gir <TWM>
#8Nintendo_Clerk(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 8:44:22 AM
agreed 100%, ElmntEarth4Life. 3rd party developers don't try as hard as they make it sound. Sure there's great games that come out from them, but it's just a quick buck to them. This is probably gonna change Nintendo's strategy with Wii U, or they'll have to make sure there are huge games at the launch, or make sure that 3rd party developers are gonna have huge games to launch with.

3DS won't fail. And I think that when the next gen portable is ready, Nintendo is gonna completely change it up. I can't wait to see what they do next.
---
I met Dan Aykroyd.
#9DeathSoul2000Posted 7/30/2011 8:46:56 AM
slaysme420 posted...
Then why did you bother to post? Blinded , I say!

i think his name says it all.
---
Super Nintendo Defender system