Why all this "Nintendo is going to die"?

#1L1NKCPosted 7/30/2011 11:33:00 AM
I get there are price cuts, and employee cuts on Nintendo execs' parts, but seriously, I don't get why people see this as a sign of distress. I've read article after article on this type of thing over the past few days, both for and against the idea that Nintendo is dying, but seriously, it's Nintendo, they have the same resilience a fruit fly has to radiation.

All I've seen by this act is that Nintendo realizes $250 is just a bit much, and more people would buy it at this new point. The idea of execs having their salaries cut doesn't give me the impression of desperation; it implies that they have enough integrity to not cut down on the manufacturing costs and thus make a cheapened peace of crap, and that they are humble enough to not make the lower waged employees suffer all of the consequences.
---
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader
#2nuclearratchetPosted 7/30/2011 11:39:10 AM
if they werent scared they would have dropped the price to 199.99 instead of 169.99
#3brementerPosted 7/30/2011 11:44:06 AM
Because people are Nintendo haters! Between the Wii, NDS and 3DS Nitendo has sold over 250,000 units per week. Double what every other console company has out there. This is the late 90's early 2000's all over again, look how they rebounded.
---
3Ds Friend Code 0044-2890-2487
#4TowelFightPosted 7/30/2011 11:44:38 AM

Well, TC, I'd suggest pulling your head out of the sand and try reading a few articles about the past week's events.

That should tell you everything you need to know about the "why".

Though it should be made clear, Nintendo isn't in danger of dying, but their dominance of the handheld sphere is, for all intents and purposes, over.
---
PSN ID: TowelFight
#5OverlordAlikPosted 7/30/2011 11:45:55 AM
Sony Fanboys dreaming
---
Brawl FC: 4382-1634-7585
#6burnrubbertcPosted 7/30/2011 11:46:59 AM
Nintendo is having trouble right now. Read a financial report rather than comments from fat nerds arguing over the internet.
#7PhantomSwordPosted 7/30/2011 11:48:49 AM
3DS has a chance of dying. Nintendo does not.

Though this would be momentous, as it would be their first loss in the handheld sector.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#8ShadowOfManPosted 7/30/2011 11:52:15 AM
um... dude... do you have any idea what this does to a company? When a major gaming company releases a major handheld, they expect to be able to ride the income that generates for years to come as they develop games and then look into designing a new system/platform. Nintendo just bottomed out on this latest release and is scrambling to release the Wii U in order to recover. Less than 5 million sales for a worldwide company is really bad no matter how bad you look at it. Then to top things off, playstation is announcing a much more advanced handheld and also has the ability to realize that giving a whole new system a name based off of the previous handheld is gonna make people question why they need it. Not to mention Nintendo has tweaked the DS for far to long with a visible decline in new game development. So no, Nintendo will not die, whether or not they continue as a platform design company is directly influenced off of this next console release.
---
I tried to turn rocks into steel; got gold; trashed the whole project.
#9L1NKC(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 4:45:06 PM
TowelFight posted...

Well, TC, I'd suggest pulling your head out of the sand and try reading a few articles about the past week's events.

Though it should be made clear, Nintendo isn't in danger of dying, but their dominance of the handheld sphere is, for all intents and purposes, over.

Did you read my post at all? I said I have been reading articles. The topic was more or less asking why are people reacting like this.

burnrubbertc, that was actually a good suggestion, minus the "fat nerd" comment. Can't stand generalization of people, but that's beside the point.

ShadowOfMan had the best explanation. I do not pretend to understand exactly how the business aspect of the industry works, and for credibility sake, I hope you weren't bsing your way through that.
---
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader
#10Mariofan15Posted 7/30/2011 4:57:21 PM
TowelFight posted...

Lol,no it aint. Quit dreaming.
---
Pokemon White:1163-1399-0122
Nintendo 3DS:3394-3658-2611