In 2006, Koichi Ishii founded Grezzo Games Inc.

#1NotChris_HansenPosted 7/30/2011 6:54:35 PM
Koichi Ishii wasn't happy with the way that Square Enix forced him to develop 'Mana' series games. He felt that would much rather work on new, original projects. He left Square Enix formed a new development company so that he would be better able to express his creativity. This company is Grezzo Games Inc.

It is reported that as he walked into the Grezzo offices for the first time, he said to himself, "This is it. This is where you'll make your masterpiece."

Poor Ishii-san.
#2emagdnEPosted 7/30/2011 7:06:14 PM
so..... how's that working out for him?

he making any "new, original projects"?
---
Note to self: Cannon highly effective against flesh. -Mimiron
#3NotChris_Hansen(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 7:14:01 PM
You know they're not. They were put to work on OOT3D. Now everyone wants them to update the graphics of Majora's Mask.
#4Gash424Posted 7/30/2011 7:20:53 PM
I remember reading about how Sakurai left Hal a while back, because he felt too much pressure to continue sequelizing. He was later asked to work on Brawl. And now his next project is the Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. He did get to make Meteos and Kid Icarus Uprising (basically original) though, so there's something.

Did Grezzo ever work on anything else? I hadn't heard of them until OoT 3D. I hope they don't get stuck making MM3D. Then again I don't care that much for graphical remakes; the N64 Zeldas (and Star Fox) are pretty far from unplayable.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=emb1234
#5YuikikoPosted 7/30/2011 7:27:01 PM
Grezzo made Line Attack Heroes.
---
Q: What did the hungry Goron say?
A: I'm so hungry, I could eat an Octo Rock!
#6kyuubijaviPosted 7/30/2011 7:29:32 PM
Well Grezzo did a good job with OoT even though they played it safe. So now that they've released a good game they should be rewarded an opportunity to make a new ip after that they could make MM. There is no rule saying you can't make something else in-between games.
#7gransPosted 7/30/2011 8:14:02 PM(edited)

Koichi Ishii wasn't happy with the way that Square Enix forced him to develop 'Mana' series games. He felt that would much rather work on new, original projects. He left Square Enix formed a new development company so that he would be better able to express his creativity. This company is Grezzo Games Inc.

It is reported that as he walked into the Grezzo offices for the first time, he said to himself, "This is it. This is where you'll make your masterpiece."

Poor Ishii-san.

Poor guy? He's the president and CEO of the company, he likely made the decision to help Nintendo remake the game in the first place (he had to agree to do it). That's his affair and his decision. Likely the company (being relatively new) might be trying to make a name for themselves by undertaking this first project and getting in some experience with the 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason they were the developers for OOT3D. Now with more recognition, they can perhaps move onto more original things.

I find it somewhat interesting that the creator of the Mana series is now going on to help with Zelda game development. The Mana series has always been considered similar to Zelda.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8TheGoddamnPosted 7/30/2011 8:12:09 PM
How is Ocarina of Time 3D not a "masterpiece"?

As grans said, they made a name for themselves and learned how to develop for the 3DS firsthand. They can use that experience to make original games, or use their created assets to remaster Majora's Mask, or hell (as so many people here fail to realize) both.

---
"Batman to all points, I could use some air support. Because I can't fly. At all. Now would be good."
http://www.backloggery.com/TheGoddamn
#9gransPosted 7/30/2011 8:14:51 PM
I'd like to see Grezzo eventually give an original new action RPG IP a try. We'll see what they cook up within this gen.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville