Is the 3DS selling at a loss a rumor? or is there proof?

#11panicbxmbPosted 7/31/2011 8:09:19 AM
if you honestly think that Nintendo only has to worry about paying for parts, then you just don't understand how things work.
#12RolandofGileadPosted 7/31/2011 8:13:00 AM
Yeah Nintendo NEVER sells at a loss. NEVER.
#13panicbxmbPosted 7/31/2011 8:15:33 AM
RolandofGilead posted...
Yeah Nintendo NEVER sells at a loss. NEVER.

...except for right now.

this is a strange and aggressive Nintendo that i've never seen before. i like it! :)
#14darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/31/2011 8:31:27 AM
I don't think they were anticipating this for the 3DS, but at the same time I don't think they were unprepared in case such a scenario happened either. They'd be a pretty foolish company otherwise. And since they've been around 100+ years I figure they've learned a thing or two down the road. The handheld probably WAS (due to the success of the DS/Wii) overpriced. How much? No one knows. So with that said the current events of the 3DS aren't THAT bad, not good but not bad enough for it to just up and disappear like the VB. So they might be losing a little money on each unit, but I don't think it's enough to hurt them. Their software will pick up the slack. Also, all executives are getting a large pay cut. That's another counter move in order to support not only the losses of the company, but to also better promote the 3DS. Depending on how many executives Nintendo has they could probably save around $10 million or more just from those cut salaries. That money could help start on apps for the 3DS, publish a few (already existing) third party games, etc. So these cuts could potentially help them. They have a strong 1st party line up this holiday, a more affordable handheld, free games/services/online, and a few noteworthy 3D party titles on the way. I think they'll be ok, it's just going to take a little more work this time around.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793