my store manager (at Target) gave me his thoughts on the loophole

#41OmegaZero633Posted 7/31/2011 2:12:47 PM
gamereviewgod posted...
Nintendo sells to retailers. If the retailers have it they already paid for it. They drop the price because if the retailers can't sell, they won't buy anymore. See? Simple.

What he said. Are people really under the impression Nintendo kindly distributes free hardware to stores to sell and then gets paid later?

Actually I thought so. o.o
Then again, I haven't taken Business or Economics, so my knowledge is lacking.

But that's just me. I can't speak for other people.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#42SatarackPosted 7/31/2011 2:25:56 PM
TrentHawkins posted...
There is hardly any profit at all on the units. That's why Nintendo themselves will reimburse the difference for the adjustment. Same goes for the units sitting on their shelves that don't sell.
I'm pretty sure that's not happening. Nintendo's asked them not to price-match, and I'm guessing that that included "It's your money if you do"

They'll still have to reimburse them for their current unsold warehouse backlog. Retailers have already purchased their stock from Nintendo at their current pricing ($249.99 with $10-20 being the Retailer's profit, so they bought them from Nintendo for around $230-240); so without reimbursement they would effectively be selling their current stock at a loss after Aug. 12 (since they bought their current stock at $230-240, but will be selling it at $169.99).
---
QI, the only fake gameshow that will take points away from panelists for false positive answers in previous episodes.
#43SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/31/2011 3:59:52 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#44OmegaZero633Posted 7/31/2011 4:08:32 PM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...

Wow, that was deleted quicker then I thought. o.o
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#45SaraAB87Posted 7/31/2011 6:32:43 PM
Its probably better for Target to be selling units than sitting on stock that does not move. If it didn't sell then they would have to clearance it out, so the price drop is basically the same as a clearance. Selling a system also means that the buyer will purchase games and accessories with the system, items which are almost pure profit for the retailer. If no one is buying systems then no one is buying games and accessories and they are just sitting there. Moreover the space the 3DS takes up in the store could be used to stock things that might actually sell. Space is finite in retail. A lot of retailers here stopped carrying PSP games because they simply were not selling, and the space could be used for things that might actually sell.

If 3DS games, accessories and systems are not moving, then they might carry less of them or downsize the sections devoted to those products so they can fill the space with something that will actually sell. This would be very bad for the 3DS.

I can vouch for the fact that my Target has probably sold very few units since the 3DS launched because I have been checking and the case where the 3DS systems are is completely full every time I check. It always looks as if they never sold any. Doesn't help that my Target doesn't have a demo station either.
---
Apple Gamecenter username : SaraAB87
#46Soccer009Posted 7/31/2011 6:46:42 PM
OmegaZero633 posted...
SSJ4CHRIS posted...

Wow, that was deleted quicker then I thought. o.o

I've been following this topic pretty closely and i checked one second and then the next a moderated post ill never get to read :(
#47sonicboom510Posted 8/1/2011 4:21:52 PM
Yeah, as a GSTL at my store, we have no access to how much we're profiting through 3DS unless you're a ETL or LOD.
---
http://i56.tinypic.com/25stpxf.gif