Best screen protectors?

#1Untitled108Posted 7/31/2011 8:40:55 AM
I've been looking for some good screen protectors for my 3ds, and I can't find enough info on them. I've already tried the Hori ones, as they have been the only ones that people seem to like, but mine had this ugly purple tint, and were scratched just by closing the device (touchscreen manufacturing defect). The Zagg ones are expensive and I've heard they screw with the 3D effect. I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
---
Go to http://www.petitiononline.com/OpMnfall/petition.html and post this to your sig if you want Majora's Mask 3D.
#2GM_Posted 7/31/2011 8:45:28 AM(edited)
I've always liked PowerA screen protectors. They don't leave any sticky residue on your screens (non-adhesive) and are relatively cheap and can be found at most major retail stores with an electronics section. They are Nintendo Seal of quality approved as well unlike most other screen protectors.

I'd ignore reviews regarding any screen protector because 8/10 times it will be some nerd raging about how it is impossible to install due to dust or air bubbles getting trapped and how they ruined their screens. This is caused due to being impatient, ignorant and being overly aggressive during the installation procedure.

My PowerA protectors look nice, have no air bubbles and don't interfere with the 3D effect at all. However, it's always best to install any of these things when you first buy your product while it's still "clean" and unused.
---
Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
#3Untitled108(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 8:57:44 AM
GM_ posted...
I've always liked PowerA screen protectors. They don't leave any sticky residue on your screens (non-adhesive) and are relatively cheap and can be found at most major retail stores with an electronics section. They are Nintendo Seal of quality approved as well unlike most other screen protectors.

I'd ignore reviews regarding any screen protector because 8/10 times it will be some nerd raging about how it is impossible to install due to dust or air bubbles getting trapped and how they ruined their screens. This is caused due to being impatient, ignorant and being overly aggressive during the installation procedure.

My PowerA protectors look nice, have no air bubbles and don't interfere with the 3D effect at all. However, it's always best to install any of these things when you first buy your product while it's still "clean" and unused.

Is there a way to remove/avoid bubbles? And I bought my 3DS at launch, so I hope age doesn't matter too much...
---
Go to http://www.petitiononline.com/OpMnfall/petition.html and post this to your sig if you want Majora's Mask 3D.
#4GM_Posted 7/31/2011 9:23:02 AM
Untitled108 posted...
GM_ posted...

Is there a way to remove/avoid bubbles? And I bought my 3DS at launch, so I hope age doesn't matter too much...

Make sure your screen is 100% dust free. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off and I always recommend using a can of compressed air to get the corners of the screen and to blow off any excess dust that may have remained on the screen after you wiped it.

Tips:

Never completely remove the shield from the screen protector before you install it. Dust will stick to the bottom side and make it difficult to install.

Start by peeling off one corner of the shield that covers the screen protectors bottom side (this is clearly labeled for you) and let the screen protector fall into place (Left to right) as you remove the shield cover at the same time. This will in most cases prevent air bubbles from forming as you install as you are not letting air get trapped as you install it.

To remove air bubbles simply use the card that they give you in the kits and (Gently) rub them out with the card by pushing them to the edges of the screen. If you can't get a bubble out it will often enough simply work itself out from regular use of the touch screen if that so happens to be where it's at.

On an ending note... just make sure you don't install the screen protector shields on your 3DS screens. They are incredibly adhesive and are not meant for installing on anything at all. They are merely there to protect the cling side of the protectors and that's it. Read your directions carefully to not make this mistake.
---
Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
#5toma13Posted 7/31/2011 9:51:45 AM(edited)
I've been quite pleased with the I-con protectors I bought at Staples. $10 for 2 sets of them, and the top protector covers the entire glossy area, not just the screen part. They also don't mess with the 3D effect at all, and the black bezel doesn't look purple either. The bottom protector has held up quite well against stylus use too.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#6FullMetalPanicPosted 7/31/2011 10:08:38 AM
If the Hori ones got scratched, then any other protectors will get scratched. I always use the Hori ones on every handheld I own, and never had any problems with it, including my 3DS. The vertical lines on the top screen is Nintendo's design fault, not Hori's.
---
[PSN] - MrCiel
[3DS] 2062.9168.6736 [Wii] 1965.4338.5587.6831
#7Untitled108(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 10:48:43 AM
FullMetalPanic posted...
If the Hori ones got scratched, then any other protectors will get scratched. I always use the Hori ones on every handheld I own, and never had any problems with it, including my 3DS. The vertical lines on the top screen is Nintendo's design fault, not Hori's.

I'm not hating on Hori, as i'm nearly positive mine were defective. I could scratch it just by running my fingernails on it. Was your's, by any chance, purple? (please note that I am referring soley to the one that covers the top screen. The bottom one is one of the best I have used.)
---
#8endoflevelbossPosted 7/31/2011 11:07:25 AM
I have Hori and it has the purple tint.

To stop the scratches pop a thin glasses lens cloth between the 2 screens when closed. Those scratches are a problem with the system and not the protector - just be thankful they aren't on the screen itself.
#9Untitled108(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 1:04:53 PM
endoflevelboss posted...
I have Hori and it has the purple tint.

To stop the scratches pop a thin glasses lens cloth between the 2 screens when closed. Those scratches are a problem with the system and not the protector - just be thankful they aren't on the screen itself.

Too much work :P But it is kind of sad how the screen is more durable than the protector. Has anyone else found the touchscreen/circle pad leaving permanent marks on their screen protectors?
---
#10iphysPosted 7/31/2011 2:18:32 PM
Power A ones are working just fine for me. I slowly applied it, and the one moment I saw an air bubble I momentarily pulled that section away from the screen and then started letting it attach to the screen again and it didn't appear the second time.