Nintendo to Allow Free-to-play Games With Paid DLC on 3DS by Year's End

#31Starwars4JPosted 7/31/2011 6:10:04 PM
Vyers posted...
I'd love a source to demonstrate that Nintendo's intentions with the "third pillar" was to phase out the Game Boy, as opposed to creating a third pillar to avoid replacing the Game Boy line with a platform that may not be a viable one.

Clearly you weren't around back then, Vyers. The whole point of calling it a third pillar was to say "this is separate, this is not a successor. The Game Boy line isn't going anywhere". Otherwise it wouldn't have been called a third pillar any more than the Game Boy Advance was to the Game Boy color. But since you lack that common sense, I'll give you a source.

http://www.nintendojo.com/features/specials/a-pillar-too-many

Here's an article on it, clearly mentioning how the entire gaming community, apart from little Vyers I take it, understood the concept:

In 2004, Nintendo unveiled the original DS, a radical departure from the status quo and an obvious experimentation in new approaches to gameplay with its two screens and touch sensitivity. At the time, Nintendo described the system as a “third pillar,” a new brand of system separate from Game Boy and GameCube and not meant to be a replacement of either.

Having two handhelds as separate pillars makes no sense. Having three pillars of handheld, console, and digital makes perfect sense.

And yet that's what he said. But keep trying to argue with what has already happened and been said. The Game Boy line was to continue, and the DS was an experiment that was expected to crash and burn. Its unexpected success is the reason the Game Boy line was put on hiatus.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#32MellowLyricistPosted 7/31/2011 6:18:15 PM(edited)
E-25 posted...
In other words, Nintendo will still make complete games but just handed Capcom a golden ticket to the DLC factory...

The DLC factory is better than the repackaged game with extra content factory.

Edit: Except for those who don't own the game yet, of course.
---
Children, send me back home.
For this is the reason you were born.
#33VyersPosted 7/31/2011 6:22:10 PM
lololol. Starwars4J, you're always such a laugh.

You're actually arguing that one handheld line replacing the other is the same situation as one video game medium replacing the other? I mean, you're seriously arguing that the next Nintendo console will have the same business model as the PSP Go?

Ahahahaha.
Would it be too much if I asked you to run along, so as adults can have a decent conversation without your imagination running amock?
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#34Starwars4JPosted 7/31/2011 6:25:12 PM
Vyers, you never could admit when you were wrong. That's why you don't get along well with people here, or most likely elsewhere. You had the opportunity to gracefully accept you were wrong, but instead turned to personal attacks that just make you look like a angsty child who is mad he isn't getting his way.

Try acting civil for once, will you? You might find there are benefits to it.
---
#35VyersPosted 7/31/2011 6:33:41 PM
Starwars4J posted...
Vyers, you never could admit when you were wrong. That's why you don't get along well with people here, or most likely elsewhere. You had the opportunity to gracefully accept you were wrong, but instead turned to personal attacks that just make you look like a angsty child who is mad he isn't getting his way.

Try acting civil for once, will you? You might find there are benefits to it.

Well, barring the fact that "Way to miss the point like normal, Vyers." was the first attack at anyone in this thread (so yeah, try to act like an adult, Starwars, despite yourself)...

I asked you a question. You're quite confident, yet you seem intent to ignore my question.

You are suggesting that because the third pillar, DS, replaced the Game Boy, after it became successful, that this will happen yet again with this third pillar.

Here are the three questions I asked, yet again:

Do you think that it is as likely, financially viable, and easy to replace an entirely different medium with another as it is to replace one handheld with another?

And:

Do you think that Nintendo regards a download-only service as financially viable?

Do you think that Nintendo would look at the PSP Go and be inspired to make a download-only service?
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#36trizznillaPosted 7/31/2011 6:42:07 PM
Do you think that Nintendo would look at the PSP Go and be inspired to make a download-only service?

No. But then again, that's probably why there's a cartridge slot/disc drive on every Nintendo product.
---
hardcore about the casual.
#37Starwars4JPosted 7/31/2011 6:47:22 PM
Vyers posted...
Well, barring the fact that "Way to miss the point like normal, Vyers." was the first attack at anyone in this thread (so yeah, try to act like an adult, Starwars, despite yourself)...

You tried to correct me on something you read wrong. You have a history of doing just that, and then throwing a massive tantrum like you were trying to do here, rather than just admit you were wrong. You completely missed the point of my original post, a fact I doubt even you will deny. Grow up, and learn to gracefully accept being wrong.

I asked you a question. You're quite confident, yet you seem intent to ignore my question.

The only question you asked was amidst your personal attacks, and again was you totally missing the point (thereby proving my original post correct), but if I really have to spell it out for you, I will.

You're actually arguing that one handheld line replacing the other is the same situation as one video game medium replacing the other?

First of all, the comparison is entirely valid. I'm not comparing media and consoles, I'm comparing his wording in one situation with his wording in another. He has used this exact language in the past, along with assurances that the original will not change. History has shown us that his assurances mean nothing, the only thing that matters in any business is money. The DS took off so well that they saw no reason to continue with the Game Boy line. DD on the other hand has many inherent issues and problems, as displayed by the Go. On top of that, profits for companies that already use DD for full titles on their handhelds is significantly less for DD than physical media. This to me says that DD will not replace physical media as it won't be successful enough to, but that if it was they would ditch physical media in a heartbeat, just as they did with the Game Boy line, despite assurances that they would not.

Now if this very simple statement confused you I do apologize, but you need to learn to stop jumping to conclusions, posting corrections when you don't know what's going on, posting insults when you've been proven wrong, and need to learn to act more mature.

You are suggesting that because the third pillar, DS, replaced the Game Boy, after it became successful, that this will happen yet again with this third pillar.

If DD became as wildly successful as the DS was in comparison to its predecessor, yes. Any company would. Sony tried to when there was very little success.

Do you think that it is as likely, financially viable, and easy to replace an entirely different medium with another as it is to replace one handheld with another?

Absolutely not. Never said that in the first place.

Do you think that Nintendo regards a download-only service as financially viable?

Nope. They also didn't consider the DS financially viable at first. No one did. Everyone expected it to fail:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=7750.0

Nintendo included. It was an experiment. That's why it was the "third pillar", so they could fall back on a new Game Boy (as people were expecting: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-160495.html) when it did. The DS was a fluke, not only to be successful, but to be one of the best selling consoles in history.

No. I think if DD took off as wildly as the DS ended up doing that they'd go in that route as well. However as this has already been tried and failed, chances are they'd keep it along side physical media.
---
#38PhantomSword(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 6:48:08 PM
Hey, kids, stop arguing.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#39HollowNinjaPosted 8/1/2011 11:38:51 AM
The whole thing about the DS being separate from the Gameboy was just PR talk way back when. I have a friend who calls the DS the "Gameboy DS" as a joke. However, he's right. The DS is a Gameboy.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL
#40omniryuPosted 8/1/2011 11:46:56 AM
Azoemia posted...
E-25 posted...
In other words, Nintendo will still make complete games but just handed Capcom a golden ticket to the DLC factory...

This, i mad

Well, the 3DS is capcom's first console
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; pkmn White FC: 3997 6383 0943
3DS FC: 1160 9831 1358