The 3DS <i>is</i> in trouble

#21LightHawKnightPosted 7/31/2011 11:41:37 PM
Most people seem to forget that this sucker came outside the holidays.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#22Starking777Posted 7/31/2011 11:48:59 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
4 million and 5 million are fairly close, plus the DS was released near the holidays, while the 3DS was not, so it's not a totally fair comparison.

I see where you're coming from, though, but I don't think the 3DS is in any trouble.

The holiday part seems a bit redundant when the 3DS managed more sales during it's launch (3.6 million.) When compared to the DS' 2.8 million during the holidays (Vastly better time to make sales.) The reason people say it's in trouble was because it only sold 710k during the last 3 months. This compounded with the price drop (Nintendo is now selling at a loss) and the pay cuts. Nintendo wouldn't have dropped the price if the 3DS wasn't in trouble. How much trouble? Can't really say till the next report.
---
0:58.888 at Suzuka in the X2010 with only ABS at 1
PSN: Starking7
#23SkyCrackers(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 11:56:54 PM
Let me put it this way: the 3DS was in trouble. Now with the price cut and upcoming games? Not so much.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#24Starking777Posted 8/1/2011 12:07:07 AM
SkyCrackers posted...
Let me put it this way: the 3DS was in trouble. Now with the price cut and upcoming games? Not so much.

That's some nice confidence (Not trolling, it's nice to see some optimism.) But in my opinion changing somethings doesn't fix the whole. I'll be watching the manner closely, but I'm still on the fence if this really is the panacea the 3DS needs. I do hope Nintendo can pull out of this slump though.
---
0:58.888 at Suzuka in the X2010 with only ABS at 1
PSN: Starking7
#25FredSavage27Posted 8/1/2011 12:08:12 AM(edited)
SkyCrackers posted...
The 3DS has sold over 4 rimes...

The sales will climb
When it's time
To reach its prime
That's not a crime
---
I probably shouldn't be posting past 3AM.
#26moogle69Posted 8/1/2011 12:34:16 AM
SkyCrackers posted...
Darn, italics don't work in the topic title. Now my topic title looks dumb. Oh well.

i loled.
---
playing: Dragon Quest VI
looking forward to: Final Fantasy-Type 0, Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2, ES: SKYRIM V, Dark Souls, Hopefully FFversus XIII for 360
#27fire2boxPosted 8/1/2011 1:38:56 AM
SkyCrackers posted...
Yeah, the 3DS is in trouble. About as much trouble as, oh, say the DS at this point in it's life span. Oh, wait, that's not very much trouble at all.

Seriosly, the lack of sales, the lack of games, the exact same things happened with the DS. And if the 3DS could do well enough at $250, it'll do a lot better at $170.

The only possible problem is competition from the Vita, but with an $80 price advantage, and upcoming Mario games, the worst-case scenario I foresee for Nintendo is a tie between the two handhelds.

it's actually in more trouble. This is the deepest price cut nintendo ever took out on it's own system and also the fastest price drop they ever placed on one of their consoles.

the DS never needed price cuts to survive, 3DS clearly does and it's still uncertain what it will become.
#28exchrystalswordPosted 8/1/2011 1:43:28 AM
3DS to me IS in trouble due entirely to bad planning and arrogance by nintendo. However, I'm underwhelmed by the Vita since sony is making the same bad decisions (no UMD support) and arrogance.

Personally unless both handhelds shape up with great software I think the portable gaming era is going to go into a dark age for this gen. Personally I want both of these to succeed and I want to invest money into them, but damn both sony and nintendo need to step up their game.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3868-7402-0278