Question for the tech smart people

#1trenkenPosted 8/1/2011 6:26:22 AM
This is a hypothetical question, and I dont even know if there's anyone on this site that would know the answer to this, but this is regarding 3D movies on the 3DS.

I know it's possible. I've downloaded screenshots from the internet of movies people took still frames of an converted to 3D, and they look fantastic.

Ok so say they wanted to release Dark Knight just as a popular example, and maybe release it on a 3DS cartidge rather than the crappy looking Netflix streaming, is that like an extremely difficult process?

I'm not sure this would ever even happen, if it's even in nintendo's plans at all, but I'm just curious if this is fairly easy or if it is a serious project that would take a long time to complete.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#2darkqueenhelbaPosted 8/1/2011 6:34:20 AM
It'd be extremely easy to do. The hard part would come from all the redtape required for such a project to exist in the first place.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#3EoinPosted 8/1/2011 6:34:59 AM
It's not a difficult process.

Technically the 3DS doesn't read "movies" from a card, but it does read games, so it would be a matter of writing code that booted, and then played a movie. Doing that is trivially simple. It's no more difficult than having an intro movie at the beginning of a 3DS game - in fact, it's exactly the same thing, except the "intro" movie would be 2 hours long and the game part....wouldn't exist.

Movies played from a 3DS card would even look decent - movies on PSP looked decent on the PSP's screen and the minimum-size 3DS card has slightly more capacity than a UMD.

There are several downsides though:

- Cards, though not hugely expensive, aren't cheap either. This would add to the cost of the movie.
- As we saw with the PSP, retailers tend to shove all content playable by the machine into the same shelf space. Movies on 3DS cards would be put onto shelf space that is now allocated to 3DS games, and Nintendo probably would not want that.
#4trenken(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2011 6:38:44 AM
The reason why I asked this is from that recent article or interview where someone at nintendo talked about how difficult it was to make retro games in 3D. I didnt read it, just saw many topics about it here, and apparently the process is pretty difficult, which is why they said something along the lines that 3D classics would be very few and far between. I guess the games themselves actually need to be reworked a bit.

So I was thinking this would threaten the possibility of getting full length movies on the 3DS. So far we've gotten short clips, trailers, music videos.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#5chickenturkey10Posted 8/1/2011 6:39:37 AM
Eoin posted...
It's not a difficult process.

Technically the 3DS doesn't read "movies" from a card, but it does read games, so it would be a matter of writing code that booted, and then played a movie. Doing that is trivially simple. It's no more difficult than having an intro movie at the beginning of a 3DS game - in fact, it's exactly the same thing, except the "intro" movie would be 2 hours long and the game part....wouldn't exist.

Movies played from a 3DS card would even look decent - movies on PSP looked decent on the PSP's screen and the minimum-size 3DS card has slightly more capacity than a UMD.

There are several downsides though:

- Cards, though not hugely expensive, aren't cheap either. This would add to the cost of the movie.
- As we saw with the PSP, retailers tend to shove all content playable by the machine into the same shelf space. Movies on 3DS cards would be put onto shelf space that is now allocated to 3DS games, and Nintendo probably would not want that.

Why? There would be more customers if there were also movies available in cartridge form. I'm sure they could just be published through Nintendo.
---
Wii code: 3632-6979-8230-7885
#6EoinPosted 8/1/2011 6:47:06 AM
chickenturkey10 posted...
Why? There would be more customers if there were also movies available in cartridge form. I'm sure they could just be published through Nintendo.

Put 3DS movies on shelves, and they take space away from 3DS games. They also couldn't sell for anything like the same price as a new game, so each sale of a 3DS movie would mean less royalties for Nintendo than they'd get from a game. Given the choice between a space on a retail shelf being occupied by a 3DS game or a 3DS movie, Nintendo would pick game, every time.