Nintendo DID have to give early adopters something.

#1VyersPosted 8/1/2011 9:27:32 AM
The people who make this line of reasoning need to really think about this. Nintendo is in a period wherein many of their loyal fans are becoming pretty disgruntled with Nintendo - officially announcing that they wouldn't do Player's Choice; not localizing numerous titles; a casual focus with titles such as Wii Fit and Wii Play; etc. And now, with the 3DS, early adopters who bought it at launch or somewhat later find that they have been more or less screwed by Nintendo making the biggest and fastest price drop in the company's history. The reward program was probably the best PR stunt Nintendo has made in years; aside from the PSP Go, no other console has done anything like it. If they didn't do it, however, for many a fan it would be a stab in the back, and would completely alienate their fanbase. After their casual fanbase has soured - Wii Play Motion, for example, sold abysmally compared to the original - the last thing that Nintendo wants to do is alienate their biggest fans.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#2TrentHawkinsPosted 8/1/2011 9:29:48 AM
There's a pretty big difference between "A good idea" and "Needing to". Please learn it.
---
Douglas Adams: "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
#3nintendoggerPosted 8/1/2011 9:31:17 AM
The "needed to" is about the PR aspect. Businesses deal with more than just money. They have to figure out what will keep making them as much money as it had before, and how to make more money than previous.
---
3DS, August 12. Can't wait.
Proud female gamer.
#4MattperdPosted 8/1/2011 9:35:19 AM
But they didn't need to give TWENTY games. They could just as easily gave 1 game. But that's beside the point. They didn't even NEED to do that. Big difference in 'need' and 'really should'.
---
Poke' Black: 4555 9840 5971
"The epitome of a douche move would be to allow N64 games in 3D classics, then add like, StarFox and OoT." - PhantomSword
#5OmegaZero633Posted 8/1/2011 9:35:36 AM
Apple does this sort of thing all the time, but supposedly compounds the issue by releasing an updated version at the same time. And I don't see Apple compensating people. :/

Hell, they have more money then the US Gov't right now. o.o

Nintendo may have done this to avoid alienating fans, as you have said. But they did not have to reward early adopters. It wasn't a "do or die" type of choice.

It was just business and marketing, as usual.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#6Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2011 9:37:15 AM
TrentHawkins posted...
There's a pretty big difference between "A good idea" and "Needing to". Please learn it.

No surprise to see a user with the name TrentHawkins to have no idea what business is.

It's not "a good idea". It's "a necessary idea". It's an idea that, if not done, irreparably damages the company's image. I think that you need to actually learn the English language.

"A condition or situation in which something is required or wanted" - This decision is definitely wanted, and arguably required to sustain its fanbase.

"Something required or wanted; a requisite: "Those of us who led the charge for these women's issues ... shared a common vision in the needs of women" (Olympia Snowe)." - Same as above.

"To have need of; require: The family needs money" - Nintendo desperately needs to fix its image.
---
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Stacking, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, inFamous
#7Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2011 9:40:01 AM
OmegaZero633 posted...
Apple does this sort of thing all the time, but supposedly compounds the issue by releasing an updated version at the same time. And I don't see Apple compensating people. :/

Hell, they have more money then the US Gov't right now. o.o

Nintendo may have done this to avoid alienating fans, as you have said. But they did not have to reward early adopters. It wasn't a "do or die" type of choice.

It was just business and marketing, as usual.

Would you buy a Nintendo system at launch ever again, if you felt that doing so would not be in your benefit whatsoever?

It's one thing to release an updated version of something. It's a whole 'nother thing entirely to release the same version for cheaper. Without any benefit for the people who bought that same console early, all you're doing is short-term profit and long-term damage by losing the trust of fans.

Fact is that Nintendo fans are far more loyal than Apple fans, yet far more vigilant.
---
#8r_m_8_8Posted 8/1/2011 9:42:58 AM
I bought at launch, knowing price would drop. When or how much is irrelevant because I always knew it was bound to happen. Especially since it was released far from the holidays, especially when Vita was announced.

And Nintendo has been "alienating its fans" forever, we don't get 20 free games every time Nintendo does something stupid.

So no, I don't personally think they had to give us something.
---
Play games, not systems. There are people who like games that you don't, grow up.
#9WickedSickJoshPosted 8/1/2011 9:44:33 AM
Nintendo doesn't have to do anything. Despite everyone talking bad about Nintendo, they're a pretty giving company. Excitebike 3D was free when it first came out and they're also going to give us Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for free as well. Also things like Club Nintendo is a pretty big indication that Nintendo DOES care about it's fans. Free stuff for buying great quality games. I would have bought LOZ:OOT 3D regardless but adding the OST for free made it that much better. Like I said, Nintendo doesn't HAVE to do anything, they've just always been pretty giving.
---
"I've never killed anyone. I don't need to kill anyone. I think it. I have it here. *points to head*" - Charles Manson
#10trenkenPosted 8/1/2011 9:45:48 AM
If the price drop happened during the holidays, thats one thing, and pretty normal, but this big of a drop so soon after launch, they kind of did need to do something.

They knew that this move would make many of us feel ripped off, because they basically flat out admitted they were overcharging for something that was no really worth $250. You dont really want to take a dump on $4million people like that, so yes, they DID have to do something.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256