The Root of the 3DS's problem right now

#1deathsaber79Posted 8/1/2011 11:09:06 AM
Quite simply, there hasn't been a compelling reason to buy it.

Take a non gamer acquantance of mine who just went to get a DS for their kid (lets face it, a huge part of the userbase with Nintendo handhelds) - he came home with a Lite model. I'm sure he went to some Target or Walmart and the clerk showed him the different models, the mega shelf of ds games, and the tiny little section of 3d games.

Oh yeah, the lite is $99 and can play all of these games exept for the seven or eight 3d games over there, while the 3ds is $250, and no, none of those games are Mario or Pokemon.

What do you think anybody would choose?

Basically Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with two things

1. Pricing (which they have now rectified)

and

2. Product worth. Simply put, the original ds should not still be as prominently marketed and on shelves as it is. Putting the 3ds against the other DS offerings, is basically Nintendocompeting against itself, and its LOSING.

Matter of fact, they should do what apples does when a new IPOD, IPAD, or IPHONE arrives- pull the old DS lines, and make every DS sold a 3ds. $179 is not a bad price point to ask for any game console these days. Every kid begging for a DS this holiday, should be getting a 3DS in their stocking, but thats not the way it will go. I know they are probably afraid to lose the monster sales of the current ds enjoyed and still gets, but IMO every DS sold right now, is a 3ds not being sold to a customer for at least another 3 years or so which is killing them in trying to transition people to the new hardware.

What do you think?
#2Mariofan15Posted 8/1/2011 11:10:38 AM
I think I dont care. I had a reason to buy the 3DS and I dont care about the price I bought it for. It was worth every penny so I am quite happy with my purchase unlike some people.
---
Pokemon White:1163-1399-0122
Nintendo 3DS:3394-3658-2611
#3MINJI20Posted 8/1/2011 11:11:55 AM
The root of the 3DS's problem is a bit different, in my opinion. It's being classified as another DS, when it is, in fact, a whole new system. On top of that, a lot of kids have never even HEARD of a 3DS.
#4Natureboy99Posted 8/1/2011 11:13:25 AM
No games plain and simple.
#5Bridge_HansonPosted 8/1/2011 11:14:05 AM
MINJI20 posted...
The root of the 3DS's problem is a bit different, in my opinion. It's being classified as another DS, when it is, in fact, a whole new system. On top of that, a lot of kids have never even HEARD of a 3DS.

Hit the head on the nail. It is a new system, and Nintendo isn't pushing that enough. Casual gamers see the 3DS as another DS Like, DSi, DSi XL.

I think the initial price was okay, but they didn't have enough to support the price. If they had a lot of the promised games ready it would have been fine. However, the price drop is going to fix that a lot, and I think Nintendo will have turned this whole thing around 180 by the end of the year.
---
From: ghettorevival | Posted: 3/14/2011 6:30:15 PM | #006
Rocky Maiviasatellite?
#6NoPointMadePosted 8/1/2011 11:39:26 AM(edited)
1. Pricing (agree with everyone about that)
2. Misconception that 3DS is just another DS with '3D vision' added.
3. Temporary drought on software.
4. The '3D causing ocular vision problem' scare. Informed parents would simply not allow this for their own children. That narrows the consumer base down quite significantly.
5. Also, same informed parents may not like the idea of their little innocent kids having unsupervised access to Netflix. Not saying they don't know how to supervise their own kids, it's just that they probably don't want another additional thing they have to supervise.
#7nintendoggerPosted 8/1/2011 11:19:40 AM
I agree with TC. It will be interesting when the Vita comes out because it will have the same problems times ten.
---
3DS, August 12. Can't wait.
Proud female gamer.
#8VampiricDragon_Posted 8/1/2011 11:20:32 AM
I think people dont understand history
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#9SlaysmePosted 8/1/2011 11:20:51 AM
Yup. Pull all other DS models by holiday would help a lot.
---
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and archaic business practice.
#10BingSanpaoPosted 8/1/2011 11:22:54 AM
They need to release an XL version in conjunction with a viable 3D movies streaming service. That'll differentiate them from the competition while turning the 3ds from an ugly console into a hip media device.