Skipping DS, buying 3DS

#1Teepo64Posted 8/1/2011 11:45:44 AM
I haven't bought a DS and I'm thinking maybe I should skip it. I heard the 3DS is backwards compatible, so I think I'll just buy 3DS games and play them on the 3DS.

Besides DSiWare, is there anything I should buy a DS for? Is there really something worthwhile I will miss out on for NOT buying a DS console?
---
Naughty Dog presents... Unkarted: Drake's Drift.
We're going to race, and look cinematically sexy doing it.
#2stromvancouverPosted 8/1/2011 11:47:31 AM
There is no reason to buy a DS unless you buy a lite to play GBA games on.
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
http://i53.tinypic.com/30lkpz7.gif
#3JOJ650sPosted 8/1/2011 12:01:18 PM
stromvancouver posted...
There is no reason to buy a DS unless you buy a lite to play GBA games on.

Yeah, but the 3DS is going to get GBA games in there eshop some year.

I am just glad I did not buy the DSI, that could have been bad.
---
all it takes to be a Ninja is a mask...and 50 years of training.
#4The_BonesPosted 8/1/2011 12:03:29 PM
You can get DSiware with the 3DS. I don't really see a reason to buy a DS over a 3DS especially since its getting a huge price drop soon.
#5SlaysmePosted 8/1/2011 12:03:33 PM
Yes, that would be the recommended course of action. Nintendo needs to make it the only one.
---
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and archaic business practice.
#6trizznillaPosted 8/1/2011 12:13:39 PM
the only thing the ds has over the 3ds is the gba slot. And if they make gba games available on the shop, you'll only be missing out on:

using the rumble cartridge for metroid pinball and trackmania.

Boktai and some other games had special gba cartridges for out of the ordinary play.

The 3DS is getting a bad rap on this board. But I play my 3DS waaaay more than my previous ds systems. It keeps giving me incentives to open it up! And the headache / eyestrain is a problem for people who have been inbred so heavily their eyes are too close together. They also have bad attitudes and pointy heads!
---
hardcore about the casual.
#7gransPosted 8/1/2011 12:21:34 PM
There's only a small amount of games that required the use of the GBA slot. I could count them on one hand and have fingers left over. Actually specifically i believe they were the Guitar Hero series, there's about three of them. You'd be better off playing those on a console with a real guitar accessory anyways, the DS accessory is rather painful to use. Those are the only ones i can think of that require the GBA slot. Other than that, it should be fine. There's a few games that have enhancements by using the GBA slot (Pokemon uses older GBA Pokemon games for unlockables, but it's not required to play), but it's not really worth it.

Otherwise, the 3DS can do pretty much everything the DS or DSi can do. So it's not a worry. If you were so desperate for GBA support, you can either wait for the inevitable GBA VC service that will likely come to the 3DS in the future or buy a GBA (like the SP or whatever).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8LordAndrewPosted 8/1/2011 12:24:21 PM
The original DS and DS Lite can play Game Boy Advance games. The DSi XL has a bigger screen. Upscaling of DS games on the 3DS doesn't look so hot, and the native resolution gives a smaller image than any DS. A DS will also get better battery life than the 3DS.

Those are all of the advantages a DS has that I can think of. Hopefully this helps.
---
Sent from my 3DS
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#9Cave_LionPosted 8/1/2011 12:36:18 PM
Price is the blatent one. You can get used ones now for $70-80.
---
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hKMbtFIe3Z4/TOA9t1fJxXI/AAAAAAAAAEE/ZR579GnYq4o/s1600/56559-184352-183310MOMsucksHeaderjpg-620x.jpg
#10JP_SartrePosted 8/1/2011 12:41:59 PM
Problem is that DS games look terrible on the 3DS. I went with the DSi, more solid build than a Lite, but would have gone with an XL if I knew it was coming at the time.
---
"I also care about the people that don't care about not caring. If we get on these boards, we all kinda care."
-Perrywinkle97