Phone Gaming?

#81VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 3:26:20 AM(edited)
I am talking real strategy games. srpgs or pc rts.

Menus= buttons

The more menus, The more buttons I want

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!

Its an action adventure game, you didnt tell me that. Its not even strategy

Well I used buttons almost exclusively for wright
#82mjc0961Posted 8/3/2011 3:25:38 AM

Final fantasy tactics for iphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kVWlGsh9rCY

looks bad mirite?

Since it's Final Fantasy, absolutely.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#83mjc0961Posted 8/3/2011 3:30:16 AM

Smart phone gaming has taken a good chunk of the mobile gaming market, but do any of you honestly enjoy gaming on your phone? Games like angry birds and fruit ninja are fun........for like 5 minutes. That and I can't stand gaming with onscreen controls. What do you guys think?

I think that it's even a joke to say that phone gaming has taken a good chunk of the mobile gaming market. They haven't. Phones aren't in that market. People buy games on the phone they already have, they don't go buy a phone because it plays games (poor Xperia Play sales makes that obvious). And people still buy real handheld game devices like DS or PSP when they want to play more than games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope that used to be made in flash and posted on Newgrounds to play for free.

People will buy 3DS to play Mario and Zelda, and people will buy PS Vita to play Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. Nobody is rushing out to buy a phone with that super expensive smart phone contract just to they can play Angry Birds. Saying phones are taking the mobile gaming market is just nonsense.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#84mcsmellingtonPosted 8/3/2011 3:32:26 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
I am talking real strategy games. srpgs or pc rts.

Menus= buttons

The more menus, The more buttons I want

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!

Its an action adventure game, you didnt tell me that. Its not even strategy

Well I used buttons almost exclusively for wright

I wouldnt call it action adventure myself, it's a lot of sailing to different ports and selecting what you want to do, with a few mini games thrown in. I wouldn't call it action adventure, but I suppose I couldn't truly call it strategy either. To be honest I don't know how to define it, it's an odd one. But the point with games like The Settlers still stands. I've played Command and Conquer and that worked fine without physical controls, as does Sim City. I'd love for Theme Hospital to be ported over to iOS, that'd be perfection for me.

Hell, some of the DS's big games had physical controls, but weren't entirely necessary. Look at Pokemon, all the dpad is used for is moving around the overworld. Simple control like that can be dome easily with a virtual stick, and everything else is touch based menus anyway. Why do you want more buttons for more menus? That makes no sense. Instead of having to scroll down through a menu, you can just tap the thing you want. It's like clicking with a PC, but cutting out the mouse so it's even more efficient. Personally I think the iDevice touch screens are accurate enough for these sort of games, and I've had no problems with point and clicks and puzzle games on them.
---
GT: McPoo
#85VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 3:35:14 AM(edited)
give me something tactile over something that Isnt.

Pokemon had a great d pad for moving were your hands werent on the screen and you had buttons for tons of menus. My hands never got tired.

And menus in pokemon are necessary because theres so many items and things to look at.
#86mcsmellingtonPosted 8/3/2011 5:29:19 AM
give me something tactile over something that Isnt.

Pokemon had a great d pad for moving were your hands werent on the screen and you had buttons for tons of menus. My hands never got tired.

And menus in pokemon are necessary because theres so many items and things to look at.

It isn't a question of getting tired. I'm not saying physical controls were bad for Pokemon, just that they aren't needed. When everything is menu based anyway, physical controls aren't a necessity like they are with a third person shooter, for example. All you're doing is selecting options from a menu, so tapping on them is just as good as moving a dpad around, it's likely quicker and more efficient. The only time the dpad was used outside of menus is walking around the overworld, and it's not exactly precise or intricate control needed, is it? A virtual stick on an ipad would work just as well.

Also, I don't understand your comment about menus being necessary. I know they are, I never said they weren't.
---
#87VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 5:31:25 AM
We will never agree on this. Regardless of how easy a tap is. I like the tactile feedback. Knowing that when I press it, it will do exactly as I want.
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#88mcsmellingtonPosted 8/3/2011 5:38:44 AM
We will never agree on this. Regardless of how easy a tap is. I like the tactile feedback. Knowing that when I press it, it will do exactly as I want.

My old phone used to give a soft vibration when you tapped something, would that be enough feedback for you? Personally it doesn't bother me, I can see I'm tapping it so I know what's going to happen. If anything, if I'm absorbed in a game or it's getting frantic, I'm more likely to skip past the option I want when using the dpad, or accidentally press 'A' early and select something else.
---
#89PsychicRutabagaPosted 8/3/2011 7:48:44 AM
People will buy 3DS to play Mario and Zelda, and people will buy PS Vita to play Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. Nobody is rushing out to buy a phone with that super expensive smart phone contract just to they can play Angry Birds. Saying phones are taking the mobile gaming market is just nonsense.

I think that the point that several of us have made is that smartphones and tablets are taking a rapidly growing chunk of the casual mobile gaming market. The core gaming community will still buy dedicated handhelds, consoles, and gaming PCs for the time being. I agree that people don't buy a smartphone for games, but once they have one many will put a few games on it. I have also heard many who have said they bought an iPod touch or tablet PC just for games like Angry Birds. Part of Nintendo's concern over the 3DS sales is that they had an unprecedented hit with the DS line and the explosion of the portable casual gaming market. That momentum lasted for a long time. With so many DS units in circulation, there was a ready audience to keep consuming new titles and replace existing hardware when it wore out. I don't expect to see that continue with the 3DS. The casual gamers I see these days, both adults and kids, are more often playing on a smartphone, iPod touch or tablet. Those multifunction devices are now more ubiquitous than the DS. They also don't carry the stigma of carrying a portable game console that some consider a "kid's" device. Yes, the core gamers who still want their Zelda and Mario will buy the 3DS. But the core gamers are only a subset of the market.

The big question is the game publishers. If the market moves to iOS and Android, they will follow the market (aka profit potential). That shift is already happening in the casual gamer demographic. The processing power, memory, storage, and display quality are already there and provide the potential for more in-depth games. Even better, with both iOS and Android, developers can write games that will play on a multitude of devices, not just a single line of proprietary Nintendo hardware. Again, that expands the potential audience. Publishers may be slow to jump on the 3DS bandwagon because they no longer have access to the enormous installed base of traditional DS systems. 3DS games only play on the 3DS, making it a very small market right now.

Clearly the core gaming market is going to be a lot more finicky than their casual counterparts, as we have a lot of firmly entrenched ideas as to what constitutes proper controllers, depth of game play, and so forth. But we've seen a lot of shifts in the industry over the years. Some of them have had the core gamers crying foul, but we eventually adapted. Just check the boards and you'll see the curmudgeons who are still grumbling that the only good games were from their favorite, historical system (SNES, GBA, Sega, Amiga, C64, Apple II, Atari 2600, Intellivision, heck even the DEC PDP-11 for us old geeks who remember the early days of Rogue). Our bellyaching hasn't stopped the march of progress. If touch control schemes or controller peripherals are introduced that make traditional gaming more viable on iOS and Android AND if consumers buy those games in sufficient quantities to justify further development, then traditional portable games may shift more in that direction as well. I think we'll have to wait and see.

Bottom line: Game publishers are there to make money. If they can make more by publishing games for iOS and Android, that's where they will invest their efforts.
---
"Belly up, comrades, and let Korgan flail the bladder for a spell." - Korgan, Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn
#90VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 7:50:05 AM
mcsmellington posted...

My old phone used to give a soft vibration when you tapped something, would that be enough feedback for you? Personally it doesn't bother me, I can see I'm tapping it so I know what's going to happen. If anything, if I'm absorbed in a game or it's getting frantic, I'm more likely to skip past the option I want when using the dpad, or accidentally press 'A' early and select something else.

Like I said we will never agree.
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue