The trend of un-erasable save files...

#1pariah164Posted 8/1/2011 10:52:41 PM
I think above anything else, these things have the precedent for killing the 3DS for sales. First RE: Mercenaries, now Pac-Man (not that anyone cares about the latter)... it's a disturbing trend, to put it mildly. Not to mention killing any possibilities for used sales. Top that off with no companies giving a good explanation for why they did it, and... yeah. It's a horrible idea, and if more companies do it for 3DS games, I think that will spell the doom of the system more than any other factor.
---
The Original Pari - Accept Nothing Less (Innocent Until Proven Evil)
Keeping this in my sig until Legend of Dragoon is released as a PSOne Classic in the US!
#2LHS_2012Posted 8/1/2011 10:54:21 PM
Capcom already confirmed they won't do it again, so much for the trend...
---
No copyright law in the UNIVERSE can stop me!!
Gamertag: Starfish Hero
#3jayman7Posted 8/1/2011 10:54:30 PM
As long as you can save over a save file, it's not imperative that it be erasable. Though I have played neither game and, thus, don't know how erasable they actually are.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#4VyersPosted 8/1/2011 10:58:45 PM
LHS_2012 posted...

Capcom doesn't publish Pac-Man Tilt & Galaga Dimensions.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Alice in Wonderland (DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#5elheberPosted 8/1/2011 11:01:27 PM
You can't start fresh jayman. It's a permanent save file you can't start over. It's like if GTA didn't let you start from the beginning but allowed you to replay any mission. It irritates me. It really does.

The idea is acceptable in arcade-style games where you can replay any part for higher scores because you lose nothing in terms of gameplay. But unlocking things is part of a game, and you can't redo that "unlocking". Your goal oftentimes isn't to reach the highest score (which you'll always be able to strive for since there's no limit), but to unlock stuff. So once you unlock everything, that particular incentive is gone forever.

So, Capcom, Namco, everyone... if you want to force permanent saves in your games AT LEAST ALLOW SOME TYPE OF PRESTIGE MODE where everything is "relocked" but my previous scores remain. Heck, how many times I prestige could turn into another goal to strive for.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#6LHS_2012Posted 8/1/2011 11:01:45 PM
Vyers posted...
LHS_2012 posted...

Capcom doesn't publish Pac-Man Tilt & Galaga Dimensions.

I know, Capcom's one and done and Namco is... Namco.
---
#7pariah164(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2011 11:02:04 PM
LHS_2012 posted...

With the internet backlash they got, you'd think Bandai-Namco wouldn't have done it, and yet...
---
The Original Pari - Accept Nothing Less (Innocent Until Proven Evil)
Keeping this in my sig until Legend of Dragoon is released as a PSOne Classic in the US!
#8LHS_2012Posted 8/1/2011 11:06:25 PM
Namco hasn't been a trendsetter since the arcade days. I don't know why you guys are so worried about their antics.
---
#9paradoxworldPosted 8/1/2011 11:08:56 PM
I am refusing to buy any game with this permanent save crap.

But it's been easy so far, as I haven't been interested in the two titles that do it. But I could see it being a problem in the future. They don't even have to make it an in game option. Just don't be a dick and lock it so that not even the 3DS or a PC can erase it. Christ.
---
Roses are red. Violets are blue. In Soviet Russia, poem write you.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
#10elheberPosted 8/1/2011 11:15:55 PM
I dunno, paradoxworld, RE:Mercs was worth it even if only for a single playthrough.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."