Pricing: Why the App Store ruins the industry....

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 8/2/2011 6:53:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/5826799/square-enix-your-iphone-pricing-is-bananas

This is what developers are talking about. This is what some of you here are talking about. However, the article sees it as bananas. I'd say they're the ones that are bananas!! You don't intentionally devalue your products. No matter how long ago the project was. As a gamer I'm scared. Scared of being phased out by this new era of psychopaths.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#2FayeLadyPosted 8/2/2011 6:57:29 AM
Square's Iphone pricing its pretty stupid. Its one thing to price new content that way, Its another to price decade old ports that way. Even Vay launched at like 4.99 and has gotten cheaper since.
---
#3cheeseyrox2Posted 8/2/2011 7:09:34 AM
One of the worst trends in gaming this generation...
---
If I were stuck on an island with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Modern Warfare 2, I would play Super Mario Galaxy 2 first. People who agree: 224
#4FayeLadyPosted 8/2/2011 7:11:58 AM
I think you guys are off your rocker. Keeping prices artificially high does a lot more damage.
---
#5GM_Posted 8/2/2011 7:12:04 AM
Fayegurl posted...
Square's Iphone pricing its pretty stupid. Its one thing to price new content that way, Its another to price decade old ports that way. Even Vay launched at like 4.99 and has gotten cheaper since.

Wrong.

Quality = premium prices
Crap quantity = $0.99

Even their remastered ports of old games beat out anything else on the AppStore in terms of polish and overall design.
---
Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
#6BraveAdolPosted 8/2/2011 7:17:40 AM
See, but the .99 games FEEL like .99 games

I paid a decent bit of scratch for Final Fantasy III and Bug Panic and they feel like full games that just happen to be on a phone.
---
Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
<3 Emily Haines of Metric is a GODDESS <3
#7FayeLadyPosted 8/2/2011 7:17:57 AM
Wrong.

Quality = premium prices
Crap quantity = $0.99

Even their remastered ports of old games beat out anything else on the AppStore in terms of polish and overall design.

I disagree. Shipping the game on a cart or UMD might command that type of price, but when people can get newer games of higher quality on the same platform its financial suicide. To charge that price on the app store, you have to be damn near a utility. Rarely will a game app sell at that price, and for good reason. Its just not worth it.

A PSOne game cost 6-10 dollars on a PS3, where the average cost for a game is high. thinking you can get more than that on the app store where the average cost is low is ridiculous and is just setting the price artificially high to clear more room to price cut.
---
#8cheeseyrox2Posted 8/2/2011 7:19:39 AM
Devs can't break even at $0.99....
---
If I were stuck on an island with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Modern Warfare 2, I would play Super Mario Galaxy 2 first. People who agree: 224
#9FayeLadyPosted 8/2/2011 7:20:18 AM
BraveAdol posted...

I paid a decent bit of scratch for Final Fantasy III and Bug Panic and they feel like full games that just happen to be on a phone.

I agree with that much, but you would have to agree there is a long way in between 16 dollars an 1 dollar. There are hundreds of great titles that go for in between those prices on other digital download services.
---
#10FayeLadyPosted 8/2/2011 7:25:05 AM
Fayegurl posted...
BraveAdol posted...

I agree with that much, but you would have to agree there is a long way in between 16 dollars an 1 dollar. There are hundreds of great titles that go for in between those prices on other digital download services.

cheeseyrox2 posted...
Devs can't break even at $0.99....

Its tactics... It broke even a decade ago.
.99 might not be the right price point for it., but i dont see why its 15 dollars more than I paid for Vay, Sonic 2, or other games from notable publishers
---