Finally got around to reading that ign article about price drops

#1psoesmPosted 8/2/2011 9:20:00 PM
Interesting analysis. Though I must say im disappointed that that a lot of people are being dismissive of the source just because or they are misreading the article to think that they are saying nintendo is closing shop.

Back to the article: Overall I think price drops for consoles at a constant rate are good. What I felt ign was missing was the reason why nintendo consoles that weren't a commercial success didn't succeed: lack of strong third party support. Having a price drop means your system isn't selling because people don't want it, but that doesn't make it anywhere near axiomatic and that no matter what you do, it'll stay like that. Drop the price low enough and people will buy it given the opportunity cost. The ps3 had a rough start but managed to come around because of the strong third party it gained. Nintendo consoles on the other hand usually find their strength in first party titles which usually results in dedicated fans going out to get it first. The consoles that Nintendo had trouble with all had this issue in common. Why spend X amount of dollars on the 64 when you can spend a littleX more on the psx and get a broader catalogue of games. That's the kind of trade offs we all make in our daily lives and some of us probably did the same thing when it came to buying a wii vs a 360/ps3.

In conclusion I think Nintendo really needs to reassure third party in the system if it doesn't want to get swept away by the Vita especially with it having so many delays and cancellations in under a short period of time by third parties.
---
Hello. I'm Psoesm and I game on Linux!
This ad paid for by Ubuntu.
#2superhero94Posted 8/2/2011 9:28:05 PM
Link to article please
#3psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2011 9:31:48 PM
ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184980p1.html?RSSwhen2011-07-29_122300&RSSid=1184980&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fds+%28IGN+DS%29
---
#4psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2011 7:49:08 AM
Bump!
---
#5VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 7:56:59 AM(edited)
Nintendo portables always have tons of third party support. More games in development for 3ds than the ds had from companies this early. Iwata said the price drop was reaching potential future sales, not about the sales currently ( which theyve said were good in the most current forecast.

The price sucked. Bottom line.

It was probably more outrageous to me than the ps3 price was at launch
#6pikachupwnagePosted 8/3/2011 8:01:59 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
Nintendo portables always have tons of third party support. More games in development for 3ds than the ds had from companies this early. Iwata said the price drop was reaching potential future sales, not about the sales currently ( which theyve said were good in the most current forecast.

The price sucked. Bottom line.

It was probably more outrageous to me than the ps3 price was at launch

what drugs are you on? 600$ becuase they added a worthless blu ray player?vs 250$ for a quality handheld?
---
"AIM FOR THE HORN PIKACHU" proud owner of 3ds and wii member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#7VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 8:03:58 AM
consoles are by there nature expensive.

For nintendo, 150 for the ds and then 250 for the 3ds is crazy

170 is the price it should of been
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue
#8psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2011 9:01:51 AM
Up until the DS,Nintendo portables have had a modest amount of third party support, no real competition, and Pokemon.

"Iwata said the price drop was reaching potential future sales, not about the sales currently "

That's what all price drops are for. And Iwata left out the part about people having to choosing between a Vita and 3DS if they were the same price.
---
#9VampiricDragon_Posted 8/3/2011 9:07:09 AM(edited)
The ds didnt start having third party support until 2 years later, it had competition, and pokemon

The way I read the forecast was, sales up to this point have met expectations. But if they wanted to hit the 16 mil in the fiscal year. A 250 price would not have allowed them to do it and not meet expectations at that point.
#10psoesm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2011 9:10:54 AM
"The ds didnt start having third party support until 2 years later, it had competition, and pokemon

I clearly said "up until the DS". The DS is different from their other portables in that, just like the Wii, Nintendo managed to capture the casual audience , which helped give it the success it had.

"The way I read the forecast was, sales up to this point have met expectations. But if they wanted to hit the 16 mil in the fiscal year. A 250 price would not have allowed them to do it"

No sales did not meet expectations. They thought they were going to sell 16 million units with a $250 price tag. They overestimated how successful they thought they were going to be because a bunch of nintendo fans at E3 liked it.
---