To all the naysayers: at this point, is there anything Nintendo could do right?

#1OzymandiasIVPosted 8/3/2011 2:23:02 PM
TT.

Before people start throwing out baseless insults (and I know they will), I'm a big fan of both Nintendo and Sony. I own more 3/DS games than PSP games, but more PS3 games than Wii games. Overall, I probably only own more Nintendo games because they've had more consoles out for a longer period of time than Sony, but the numbers are still pretty close.

I do have problems with some of the things Nintendo has been doing. However, just because I don't cry foul every chance I get, because I don't mind the price drop and the 20 free games, and because I'm content waiting a few more months for some potentially great games, I'm not a fanboy. Again, I don't like a number of things Nintendo has done.

Also, this topic is *not* addressed to those who have merely voiced complaints against Nintendo; this is to those who do nothing but b**** and complain and predict doom every step of the way:

Is there anything that Nintendo can do right? They've lowered the price of the 3DS, and have taken a step to appease the early adopters, most of whom have been satisfied with what they have already and are pleased by the free games. Iwata has personally issued an apology. They are adjusting their gameplan from a failing strategy; they have admitted to mistakes, they have learned from them, and they have taken steps to fix things.

Despite all of this, I still see people saying Nintendo is utterly doomed to failure and hellfire; if they didn't do anything, they'd just be sticking to a failing strategy; now that they're adjusting their strategy, it somehow further cements their doom and cements the 3DS' place as a dead and failed system. I've even seen people take a statement that not all games coming to the 3DS somehow means Nintendo is abandoning 3D completely, despite Nintendo having claimed this before the console even launched.

So, is there anything Nintendo can do right at this point, in your eyes?
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#2Mariofan15Posted 8/3/2011 2:24:42 PM
Not really since they've been doing pretty good IMO, but trolls and Sony Fanboys will say differently.
---
Pokemon White:1163-1399-0122
Nintendo 3DS:3394-3658-2611
#3ORANGE666Posted 8/3/2011 2:26:13 PM
Nintendo doesn't have to outsell Sony to be successful. Even if they only sell 70 million at the end of its lifecycle, that's still a lot of money they earned.
#4MetroidJunkiePosted 8/3/2011 2:26:50 PM
I just want more third party support. We won't last forever on first person titles, I'd like the 3DS to get a little action like the other systems. Maybe a first person shooter or two.
#5OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2011 2:28:13 PM(edited)
^ While I agree with you 3, did you read my topic? Quick responses, and you don't seem like the naysayers I was addressing.

---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#6MetroidJunkiePosted 8/3/2011 2:29:06 PM
I know, just saying what I feel Nintendo could do right. To be honest, I think these people that act like Nintendo's doomed to fail are annoying and not being genuinely constructive.
#7FenderMasterPosted 8/3/2011 2:32:26 PM
new I.Ps

And i mean good new I.Ps with depth, so that excludes the Wii series, Steel Diver and such. I want a new IP with an aesthetically pleasing art style, great music and sound, and compelling enough that I can play for hours at a time. The last IP they made like that was 10 years ago with Pikmin.

Also, Mario doesn't have to be in every game. I like Mario, but when youre launch lineup of new games reads

Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Paper Mario
and
Luigis Mansion

thats all of Nintendos 3DS games linup bar Kid Icarus (which doesn't actually look that good), Mario overkill if you ask me.

Releasing their hardware at a price point that reflects their value, their technology and worth is a nice start though, thir hardware has been overpriced for too long.
---
I know street fighter way better then I know my wife. I keep getting caught in her frame traps -- Lazy Jones
#8SShredder565Posted 8/3/2011 2:34:52 PM
I thought about making a topic like this, but I decided I wouldn't be able to word it to say exactly what I meant to. This topic is exactly what my thoughts were, compiled into a well-put post. Thank you TC.

Also, I agree with orange. As a consumer, I have no problem if this ends up like the GC or N64. Neither of those sold very well compared to the PS2 and PS1 respectively, but they both ended up having an awesome library of games. PSP lost to the DS, but it sold very well and has a decent library. The 3DS doesn't have to win to be a successful console.

Sorry for getting off topic.
#9r_m_8_8Posted 8/3/2011 2:35:32 PM
^ None of those titles are launch games, and won't be released simultaneously. And I hope you all buy The Rolling Western and Picture Lives, two new Nintendo IPs coming to 3DS.
---
Play games, not systems. There are people who like games that you don't, grow up.
#10TowelFightPosted 8/3/2011 2:36:43 PM
To regain their leadership role in the handheld sphere? No.

Otherwise they're doing fine. The larger issue is that from the perspective of your average Nintendo fanboy, anything short of first place = failure. But that's their hang up.
---
PSN ID: TowelFight