Best wireless router that is 3DS/Wii/Xbox/etc friendly?

#1ONI GerbilPosted 8/3/2011 6:12:44 PM
I'm looking for a quality wireless router for my laptops and gaming systems but I also need the ethernet ports for my desktop PCs. What would you recommend? Thanks!
---
May 16th, 2007 - Remember this day...
Brawl Sucks. Melee ftw. www.smashboards.com
#2nintendoggerPosted 8/3/2011 6:21:13 PM
Not DSL. I think. I know there is one that is weird and like is only compatible one way, I think it's DSL.

But, I vaguely know what I'm talking about. Sorry.
---
3DS, I have you now. :)
Proud female gamer.
#3Rune_SchismPosted 8/3/2011 7:47:10 PM
If one of your ether net ports is your modem you should be fine with any router. Standard router connect in line with the modem (I think between PC and modem, but its been a while since I've set one up it could be the other way around).
#4CrazeePeterPosted 8/3/2011 7:52:40 PM
I have a dlink WBR-2310 that works very well and is cheap too.
---
3DS FC: 0259-0340-5574
#5NarutoPosted 8/3/2011 7:54:08 PM
How many systems do you intend on connecting to the router? How far are these systems from the router?

Rune_Schism posted...
If one of your ether net ports is your modem you should be fine with any router. Standard router connect in line with the modem (I think between PC and modem, but its been a while since I've set one up it could be the other way around).

The idea is that TC wants his PC wired to the router, rather than wirelessly.
#6ONI Gerbil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2011 8:19:33 PM
The last post has it best.

I've already got a router setup. The thing is, I don't want to just get any wireless router and swap them out. Currently I have three PCs wired plus an Xbox 360. Generally, I unplug one of the PCs (which happens to be a laptop) if my younger brother who lives with me wants to hook up his own 360.

So essentially, my goal is to just have my two desktops wired to the router (both of which have cables that run from the desktops to the current router's location. These cables would not be easy to move since I've got them routed around walls/carpet/etc). At the same time, I want the laptop and my 3DS to hook up wirelessly. The distance from the laptop to the current router is anywhere from 5 to 50 feet; same with my 3DS (tested because I have atm a 50 foot cable running from the router to the 360 in my room).

Also, I need to note that I intend on having at least one more laptop hooked up wirelessly (I am buying one this Fall since I start student teaching very soon and would like a laptop for the workload instead of relying on this desktop; the other laptop belongs to my mother so I can't have it for good lol).

Thanks for any all all help guys, hopefully this post wasn't tl;dr for you lol.
---
#7theshovellerPosted 8/3/2011 9:13:18 PM
Generally, I recommend Netgear or Linksys. Those were the better companies back when I sold networking stuff, and I tended to steer people away from Microsoft, Belkin, and D-Link. Microsoft... I'm not a big fan of their hardware, but I didn't hear much about their networking stuff before I left retail. D-Link... they were junk. So many returns on them for defects. Belkin... I trust them for cables, but not devices beyond a USB hub.

That's my recommendations on companies. As for features, get whatever suits your fancy, but remember that the G / N / Mimo stuff that says "faster wireless speeds!" usually means you have to be using an N / G / Mimo card to get those faster speeds - otherwise, it's the same as a regular wireless B card (unless G's the standard now, which it might be.) Just make sure you assign a WEP key, and change your admin router login password. I'd recommend a,,, what is it, a WPTK setup, or something? Pretty much, it lets you make a big, long password with letters, numbers, and symbols and stuff, so you can make a password something like "Id0n'tw4n7um0mmy!?" for extra security.
#8nintendoggerPosted 8/3/2011 9:15:44 PM(edited)
Linksys is what I have and it's fine.

EDIT: We have a DSi, two cpus, one xbox 360, a wii, and a 3DS all connected fine.
---
3DS, I have you now. :)
Proud female gamer.
#9Bridge_HansonPosted 8/3/2011 9:15:15 PM
NetGear works great for us. We tried linksys, but we couldn't get it working. I called customer support and did everything they asked, and the guy eventually hung up on me. I guess he didn't know what was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I know a few people of love the linksys router. NetGear just worked better for me. I think it was a little cheaper too. Long-ass password though.
---
From: ghettorevival | Posted: 3/14/2011 6:30:15 PM | #006
Rocky Maiviasatellite?
#10ONI Gerbil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 6:56:15 AM
I appreciate this guys, thank you.
---