GBA VC Resolution

#1JackstinPosted 8/4/2011 11:38:57 AM
I'm curious as to how the GBA games will look on the 3DS.

The current VCs tend to fill the screen horizontally.

I may be wrong, but isn't the GBA's screen the same shape (but half the resolution) of the iphone?

Will that mean that the GBA games will be stretched so that they nearly fit the whole of the top screen with slight black borders? Will this make the games look bad?

Or do you think they'll use the DS emulation, so it will have significant top bottom and side bars?
#2NarutoPosted 8/4/2011 11:47:02 AM
meltonbj posted...

I'm pretty sure they fill the top screen vertically, with bars on the left and right.

meltonbj posted...
I may be wrong, but isn't the GBA's screen the same shape (but half the resolution) of the iphone?

While they have the same ratio, iPhone is 960 x 640 pixels and GBA is 240 x 160 pixels. It's a lot less than half.
#3xCha0sPosted 8/4/2011 12:01:38 PM
theyll probably look similar to how gbc games look now. i didnt buy links awakening dx to check.
#4Jackstin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 12:06:21 PM
Naruto posted...
meltonbj posted...

I'm pretty sure they fill the top screen vertically, with bars on the left and right.

meltonbj posted...

While they have the same ratio, iPhone is 960 x 640 pixels and GBA is 240 x 160 pixels. It's a lot less than half.

Yeah sorry, i meant vertically, and I was thinking of pre-retina display.

Basically I watched a youtube video of Fusion to see how they'll look lol. Looks good at nearly full screen!
#5LordAndrewPosted 8/4/2011 12:06:22 PM
They can't use "DS emulation" to play GBA games. The only reason the DS could play Game Boy Advance games is because it had Game Boy Advance hardware that could be accessed from Slot-2.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#6CommanderxGreenPosted 8/4/2011 12:10:04 PM
It'll probably be the standard: scaled to fill the screen vertically by default, hold select to play in native resolution (1x Zoom).
---
MegaMan Legends 3 is cancelled. I am dead inside.
#7Jackstin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2011 12:13:46 PM
LordAndrew posted...
They can't use "DS emulation" to play GBA games. The only reason the DS could play Game Boy Advance games is because it had Game Boy Advance hardware that could be accessed from Slot-2.

I didn't realise that!

Well that's good news for future GBA VC on 3DS.
#8Gsus_94Posted 8/4/2011 12:16:25 PM
I wonder if the border will be the original gba or an sp if they do add a bordee that is.
---
"At the end of the day I'm walking with the Heart of a Lion."