So, suppose YOU buy the 3DS now and the loophole scheme don't work out...

#41cadmasterPosted 8/6/2011 8:50:10 AM
Download the free 20 games and then sell it for higher price. Since the game is tied to hardware, it will make your 3ds more precious.
---
Game Collection - http://users.ign.com/collection/ScourDX
Game Photos - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v27/scourdx/collection/
#42Untitled108Posted 8/6/2011 9:19:36 AM
I would enjoy my $120 worth of free games to the extent where I just don't give a **** anymore.
---
Go to http://www.petitiononline.com/OpMnfall/petition.html and post this to your sig if you want Majora's Mask 3D.
#43Cave_LionPosted 8/6/2011 9:33:23 AM
Download the free 20 games and then sell it for higher price. Since the game is tied to hardware, it will make your 3ds more precious.

First smart response.
---
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/Mithos_2006/reggielol.png
#44trizznillaPosted 8/6/2011 9:52:05 AM
cadmaster posted...

Wow, this is the best 'choice c' so far. What if people got the price match AND sell for $350? Bet that would really piss off double-dipper-haters.
---
hardcore about the casual.
#45NoPointMade(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 6:17:09 AM
theshoveller posted...
NoPointMade posted...

What will happen to the account I set up? Is it still tied to the unit?
Will Best Buy send the 3DS back to Nintendo to 'reset' them or put them back on shelf as opened box item?
What does it mean for the hapless customer who may buy one of those opened items and find the mem stick already had a previous Account set up on it?

Sorry for the late response, but:

As for the account stuff, it'll stay tied to that 3DS - this doesn't have a "network user login" setup like, say, Xbox Live, Steam, Playstation Network, etc. If your 3DS spontaneously combusts, everything you bought through the e-shop and the like is gone - period. You can transfer stuff between systems, but if one system's wifi doesn't work, or if it explodes because you fed it past midnight, you're SOL.

I'm not sure what Best Buy's policies are on returned video game systems. I know I've bought a wireless 360 PC adapter open box from there before, but I think video game systems are handled a bit differently. Then again, that was Circuit City's policy, and they didn't sell used games and accessories like Best Buy might be doing now.

As for the guy who buys the system open box and finds an account already on there... he'll have everything that was on there before. This is something that makes me think with something like a 3DS, unless there's a way to format everything off the system's memory, they'd probably play it safe and send it back to Nintendo, as they're not a place like Gamestop that deals with that sort of thing on a regular basis (but yet again, I don't work there, so I could be completely wrong. I'd probably send them back if I was making the call, since I'd want the extra security that'd bring.) I'm not even sure if it saves credit card info anywhere on the unit itself to make further e-shop transactions easier or what (since I didn't buy anything from the e-shop yet.)

Wow, I'm thinking now that the right procedure is to have those 3DS re-formatted before it goes back on shelves, since the account is still tied to the unit. The credit card has to be saved somewhere in the unit, but if you're saying 3DS doesn't have a network security login, then that's a concern for personal security. Not only that, if you lose your 3DS and someone picks it up, then you're credit card is in jeopardy(!).
#46robinhoekPosted 8/7/2011 10:22:03 AM
NoPointMade posted...
theshoveller posted...
NoPointMade posted...

What will happen to the account I set up? Is it still tied to the unit?
Will Best Buy send the 3DS back to Nintendo to 'reset' them or put them back on shelf as opened box item?
What does it mean for the hapless customer who may buy one of those opened items and find the mem stick already had a previous Account set up on it?

Sorry for the late response, but:

As for the account stuff, it'll stay tied to that 3DS - this doesn't have a "network user login" setup like, say, Xbox Live, Steam, Playstation Network, etc. If your 3DS spontaneously combusts, everything you bought through the e-shop and the like is gone - period. You can transfer stuff between systems, but if one system's wifi doesn't work, or if it explodes because you fed it past midnight, you're SOL.

I'm not sure what Best Buy's policies are on returned video game systems. I know I've bought a wireless 360 PC adapter open box from there before, but I think video game systems are handled a bit differently. Then again, that was Circuit City's policy, and they didn't sell used games and accessories like Best Buy might be doing now.

As for the guy who buys the system open box and finds an account already on there... he'll have everything that was on there before. This is something that makes me think with something like a 3DS, unless there's a way to format everything off the system's memory, they'd probably play it safe and send it back to Nintendo, as they're not a place like Gamestop that deals with that sort of thing on a regular basis (but yet again, I don't work there, so I could be completely wrong. I'd probably send them back if I was making the call, since I'd want the extra security that'd bring.) I'm not even sure if it saves credit card info anywhere on the unit itself to make further e-shop transactions easier or what (since I didn't buy anything from the e-shop yet.)

Wow, I'm thinking now that the right procedure is to have those 3DS re-formatted before it goes back on shelves, since the account is still tied to the unit. The credit card has to be saved somewhere in the unit, but if you're saying 3DS doesn't have a network security login, then that's a concern for personal security. Not only that, if you lose your 3DS and someone picks it up, then you're credit card is in jeopardy(!).

It's my understanding that credit card info is not stored on the 3DS at all. That is why you have to type in your information every time you add funds.
---
And he flew to her rescue, but there was......a moat.
#47elheberPosted 8/7/2011 11:24:37 AM(edited)
What if you buy a refurbished 3DS after the price drop at slightly under $170, one that the owner returned because he couldn't get a price match rebate, and when you open it up you realize that it is an Ambassador unit because the unit was still registered with the eShop? Schweet? Who want to take that chance? Any takers?
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#48AmakusaPosted 8/7/2011 5:43:42 PM
elheber posted...
What if you buy a refurbished 3DS after the price drop at slightly under $170, one that the owner returned because he couldn't get a price match rebate, and when you open it up you realize that it is an Ambassador unit because the unit was still registered with the eShop? Schweet? Who want to take that chance? Any takers?

I have no doubts that would happen, but there's also the chance that the one selling the refurbished unit would just take it to a different venue to sell it.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#49AP3BrainPosted 8/7/2011 5:45:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]