Crapcom is moving towards paid demos now.

#1lizard81288Posted 8/5/2011 11:09:37 AM
I guess MegaMan Legends 3: Prototype was just the start...

[Since I can't post the full article, even though its just 3 short paragraphs, because that is plagiarism on gamefaqs, I guess i'll just post one]

Yet Capcom is testing the waters in Japan with a paid demo of Nazo Waku Yakata. The innovative title, which uses none of the 3DS' buttons (instead relying mostly on sound and the mic), has its first chapter up for sale on Nintendo's eShop for 200.

Capcom isn't calling it a demo, but as a small offering of a full, standalone retail product that went on sale this week, that's exactly what it is.

http://kotaku.com/5827958/capc%E2%80%8Bom-is-charging-for-a-3ds-demo

I'd don't care if its cheap, Its still a demo. Thats not the best way to promote your product. And I wonder what Crapcom is calling it?! Its clearly not a demo, even though It has parts from the final product, and yet is not a prototype.../s
---
I hate people in general.
#2mcsmellingtonPosted 8/5/2011 11:12:14 AM
Dead Rising: Case Zero was the same kind of thing, and I think it worked quite well for them.
---
GT: McPoo
#3greensacsPosted 8/5/2011 11:20:28 AM
If it adds extra to the game or carry over stats and stuff I am fine with it. Nickel and dime us is the future accept it. We have the choice in what we buy.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.6
#4Blair68000Posted 8/5/2011 11:32:52 AM
It is bizarre that Nazo Waku Yakata gets the greenlight while MML3 does not. Why don't they come out and just say "Because Inafune has left, we've stopped working on it"
---
Go and buy a new PS3 game and a new 360 game and I challenge you to smell them and tell me which is best. -- Gietzy
#5NyyarkPosted 8/5/2011 11:38:11 AM
greensacs posted...
If it adds extra to the game or carry over stats and stuff I am fine with it. Nickel and dime us is the future accept it. We have the choice in what we buy.

I don't do nickel and dime stuff, and I game on the iphone. I would have bought the Legends 3 demo though, but my understanding is it was a unique mission. Probably the only DLC I'd ever had paid for.
#6VampireRoninPosted 8/5/2011 12:21:34 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. Of course, I'd rather it be free. Who doesn't like free stuff? But I don't think it's unreasonable to charge money for a demo. After all, you ARE delivering a product to someone. But it's up to consumers to decide whether or not what they're getting is worth the price.

Shareware used to be a pretty common thing back in the 90s.
You'd pay $5-10 for a part of a game (like the first act of 'Doom') and then you'd be able to distribute the shareware to your friends.

Also, back when video game magazines were at their peak, they came with demo discs and that's how you played demos. Payment was indirect, but you still had to pay.

Of course, content should be pretty substantial if you're going to charge for a demo or trialware. The Doom shareware came with 10 rather elaborate levels and the game was moddable (but that's when gaming was in its golden age). Magazines that came with demos usually had 5-10 demos, plus you'd have a magazine filled with news, previews, reviews, cheat codes, etc (back when magazines presented the info better than the internet).

Anyway, as much as Capcom pisses me off, I can kind of respect them for being experimental in their business approach.
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg
#7NoPointMadePosted 8/5/2011 12:23:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/93iNV.gif
#8exchrystalswordPosted 8/5/2011 12:31:13 PM
A demo is a tool that is supposed to convince buyers on the fence to get the game. No one on the fence is going to pay for a demo.

Hell for the price of 1 demo I can get a 1 month subscription to gamefly and try out about 4-6 games in that month alone.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3868-7402-0278
#9FrankGrimeyPosted 8/5/2011 12:37:50 PM
Sounds like the bastard child of Shareware
---
I'm better than okay. I'm Homer Simpson.
#10VampireRoninPosted 8/5/2011 12:40:26 PM
That's what I was thinking. It's like shareware that you can't distribute freely.
That's the downside of dedicated gaming hardware, though. You pay less for hardware up front, but ultimately you're paying for hardware lock-in.
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg