iPhone / iPod Touch will stunt handheld gaming sales this generation.

#91psoesmPosted 8/7/2011 8:16:38 AM
lipnox88 posted...
I havent seen Ocarina of time quality on the iphone yet for $2, infact I cant say ive seen anything on Iphone that looked even close to as good as what ive currently got for my 3ds. WHAT Buttons, what are these for... oh yeah playing video games, without buttons the Iphone gaming is gimmicky at best.

Yeah like how "gimmicky" gaming was on a nes,snes,genesis,gbc,gba because they had a limited amount of buttons that despite what you want to believe, hobbyist programmers have been able to pull them so well on iOS/Android that you would think they are there. Not every game needs to use the touchscreen in a way to enhance it and some games like Spectral Souls play perfectly well using a traditional button layout like the one you're used to.
---
Hello. I'm Psoesm and I game on Linux!
This ad paid for by Ubuntu.
#92Red_Devil82Posted 8/7/2011 8:30:15 AM
The only game I see to an extent that compares to Ocarina is Infinity Blade and even that comparison doesn't really fly.

The game is simple in comparison to OoT and the game, while it has pretty graphics, is a ridiculous battery hog on the iOS devices. You want terrible battery life? Try playing that for an extended time. And of course, OoT has actual buttons for input.

IndustryGamers recently posted a survey which clearly indicated the Home and Handheld Consoles will be fine. I know it only refers to Tablets but since we've brought in the iPad into the conversation, it's worth bringing up.

Likelihood of NOT buying a Handheld after buying a Tablet: 38% in 2010. Fallen to 26% in 2011.

Likelihood of NOT buying a Home Console after buying a Tablet: 27% in 2010. Fallen to 14% in 2011.

The only devices getting phased out by the rise of the Tablet are Netbooks and E-Readers as you see.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/apple-ipad-tablets-not-seriously-cannibalizing-portables-and-consoles/

I think it's pretty clear here that it shows the talk of the Smartphones and Tablets overtaking the Dedicated Handhelds is losing ground. I almost want to say it's a fad but that's not really the right word. I think it's simply the case of many people realizing the devices are not a fitting substitute for a real dedicated gaming console. A large portion are obviously still fine with not owning a Handheld but obviously not all.
---
http://www.thespeedgamers.com/
#93Megaman OmegaPosted 8/7/2011 10:19:48 AM
With how powerful phones have gotten, it's only logical that games on them got more elaborate than snake or minesweeper. But that doesn't mean that there's a shift in preference or something.
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle
#94OoSubaruoOPosted 8/7/2011 12:30:40 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
This topic is filled with fanboys in denial. It's always the same argument: "OMG smartphones don't have real controls and they don't have Mario Kart/Metal Gear/Zelda/Monster Hunter/Whatever they'll never replace handhelds."

NEWS FLASH: NOT EVERYBODY IS LIKE YOU
Not everybody is a hardcore gamer who demands the "full" console gaming experience wherever they go. There are:

1. "Casual" gamers, the type who bought a DS for games like Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc. There are TONS of smartphone games that are every bit as addictive and entertaining as the casual DS games. A large section of this audience will be perfectly happy to game on their smartphone rather than a 3DS.

2. Hardcore gamers who do all of their serious gaming at home on a console or PC. Many "real gamers", when they're on the go, are not looking for an epic 50-hour RPG to delve into. They're looking for a quick burst of entertainment while riding the train/bus, waiting at the doctor's office, while their boss is in the other room on a conference call, etc. These people will again be perfectly happy gaming on a smartphone.

3. Pragmatists. People who in principle would rather game on a dedicated handheld, but for whom the convenience of only carrying around one device outweighs that desire. Face it, there are a lot of people who will settle for less. They'll say "screw it, I'm not spending $170 plus $40 for games and carrying around yet another device and charger with me. I'll make do with smartphone gaming."

Smartphone gaming will never achieve the quality, depth, and variety of dedicated handheld gaming, but it DOESN'T HAVE TO in order to take a large chunk of the handheld market. The DS sold over 140 million in its lifetime. Mark my words: we will never see a success on that level ever again with a handheld, and smartphones/iPods are the reason. I'd honestly be shocked if the 3DS even sells half as many as the DS did when all is said and done.

I stopped reading after you accused the people defending something a fanboy.
#95OoSubaruoOPosted 8/7/2011 12:33:03 PM
CapnStanky posted...
Handheld game sale revenues are up thanks to Apple and to a lesser degree Google. The way to compete isn't to raise the price of handheld games to 40 bucks, which only pushes more people to Apple for handheld gaming and to consoles for home gaming. It's almost as if Nintendo wants to fail.

You do know Nintendo aren't the ones who set the prices for other companies games right? >_>.
#96PerascaminPosted 8/7/2011 12:39:19 PM
Zelda Freek posted...
VampiricDragon_ posted...
Zelda Freek posted...
VampiricDragon_ posted...
i couldnt even imagine playing such inferior games ( IMO) as my main source of portable gaming honestly.

I'm just curious, what games have you been playing that are so "inferior"? Sure, there are loads of simple diversion-type games, but not every game is Angry Birds or Cut the Rope.

Ive played zenonia, chaos rings,plants and zombies, I played about 30 minutes of infinity blade, amongst other things

And I was reaching for my gameboy (no joke)

Okay, that's fair then. I love me my Zeldas and Dragon Quests and Metroids, but I just dont see myself dropping $170 to play them. I'm sure I will eventually, I am a sucker for Zelda games even though the 2 DS offerings weren't that great IMO. Until then I'm content playing Dead Space, Battleheart, World of Goo, Dungeon Hunter 2, etc. on my iOS device. So like I said, in my personal experience iOS/Android/whatever devices could very well impact traditional handheld sales.

You won't drop $170 for a 3DS but you will drop $230 for an iPod touch, not to mention you could pay for the 3DS and get 1 game that will last for hundreds of hours for $210.
---
Thief of the Zelda woo board.
.Hack//GU is undeniably the most underrated video game series ever.
#97DeathSoul2000Posted 8/7/2011 12:56:34 PM
poor argument. just because a game is cheap, doesn't mean it can't "last." look at tetris - a great cheap game which has endless playability.
---
Super Nintendo Defender system
#98MasterChef1121Posted 8/7/2011 1:00:29 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
poor argument. just because a game is cheap, doesn't mean it can't "last." look at tetris - a great cheap game which has endless playability.

But how long did it take Tetris to GET cheap? I don't think the original US releases were only a couple of bucks
---
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.