My idea for a potentially costly used games proof save files done right

#1legendarylemurPosted 8/5/2011 7:04:31 PM
I ain't gonna make this a wall o' text, so let's get to it.

Put an exclusive code inside every cartridge box (or the instruction manual) containing a code that would let you erase your save file. Now, if you were the original owner with the cartridge box, you can delete your save file with ease. However, I dunno how much this would cost to produce, and it could potentially be more expensive than the money the devs would lose otherwise.

Good idea? I mean, I kinda just thought of this off of the top of my head. I think it's a much more practical plan than simply ridding your ability to delete the save file whatsoever.
---
apples bananas peaches
My karma was 666 on May 7th 2011, May 10th 2011
#2CHOVI3Posted 8/5/2011 7:12:17 PM
Except you do get most boxes and manuals when buying used games. And besides, it's not right to stop the used games market just for this. There's actually people who can't pay for new games, yet like gaming. I know, unbelievable right?
Well sorry if that sounded mean but it's the truth. You should be able to erase your game even if you bought it used.
#3SpawngoatPosted 8/5/2011 7:18:04 PM
CHOVI3 posted...
Except you do get most boxes and manuals when buying used games.

This. With the exception of old Nintendo games (N64 and below) most preowned games I see in stores have their original case.
---
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)" Eddie Izzard
#4elheberPosted 8/5/2011 7:27:44 PM
Each copy is identical to all the others. So each box/manual would contain the same code.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#5legendarylemur(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2011 7:37:37 PM
Hmm... couldn't the devs forbid the sellers to sell those used games along with the instruction manual somehow? I mean, I feel this could work if it's possible.

Oh, and I do realize the cartridges are identical, but somehow if this was possible. Eh, never mind lol
---
apples bananas peaches
My karma was 666 on May 7th 2011, May 10th 2011
#6elheberPosted 8/5/2011 8:21:05 PM
Here's an idea, lemur, and I think it's a good one:

How about those games have permanent save files, but once you unlock everything you can choose to "Prestige" and start the game from scratch. All your high scores are still saved, and a record is kept of how many times you prestige so you can rub it in people's faces that you prestiged 8 times.

This way, you can replay as many times as you want from the "beginning". And since your highest scores are still saved (under your username), its resale value is very, very low.
---
#7NyyarkPosted 8/5/2011 8:33:25 PM
elheber posted...
Here's an idea, lemur, and I think it's a good one:

How about those games have permanent save files, but once you unlock everything you can choose to "Prestige" and start the game from scratch. All your high scores are still saved, and a record is kept of how many times you prestige so you can rub it in people's faces that you prestiged 8 times.

This way, you can replay as many times as you want from the "beginning". And since your highest scores are still saved (under your username), its resale value is very, very low.

I like it.
#8mjc0961Posted 8/5/2011 8:35:46 PM
Or they could just stop trying to screw over the people who already are buying games new in the first place and look at ways to get more people to want to buy new. That might work a whole lot better for everyone. Seriously, so many used game sale killing ploys or piracy killing ploys only end up making people either not want the game at all or make them want to pirate it even more because it screws over people who actually buy a brand new copy of the game.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
#9Al3Ox3Posted 8/5/2011 8:38:53 PM
elheber posted...
Each copy is identical to all the others. So each box/manual would contain the same code.

Pretty sure all the NA boxes/manuals for OoT3d are identical

So.......what you are saying is that my OoT3d club nintendo code is identical to someone else code?

I think its possible to do what TC said, but practical? I dunno
---
Not removing until Majora's Mask 3D is released
GT:Don Pedr0x, PSN:DonPedrox
#10elheberPosted 8/5/2011 8:51:06 PM
Al3Ox3 posted...
elheber posted...

Pretty sure all the NA boxes/manuals for OoT3d are identical

So.......what you are saying is that my OoT3d club nintendo code is identical to someone else code?

I think its possible to do what TC said, but practical? I dunno

No, each copy of the card is identical to all the others. So the code would need to be the same for each card, and therefore, each box/manual would contain the same code.
---