My idea for a potentially costly used games proof save files done right

#11MarioFanaticXVPosted 8/5/2011 10:17:35 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Or they could just stop trying to screw over the people who already are buying games new in the first place and look at ways to get more people to want to buy new. That might work a whole lot better for everyone. Seriously, so many used game sale killing ploys or piracy killing ploys only end up making people either not want the game at all or make them want to pirate it even more because it screws over people who actually buy a brand new copy of the game.

This; if they want to sell more new copies, then they should make the game better so that less people want to trade it in, and more people want to buy it.
---
Dynasty Warriors 5 w/Xtreme Legends Progress:
Lv20 common items: 7/10 Rare items: 29/29 Final Weapons: 32/48
#12SpawngoatPosted 8/5/2011 10:46:05 PM
legendarylemur posted...
Hmm... couldn't the devs forbid the sellers to sell those used games along with the instruction manual somehow? I mean, I feel this could work if it's possible.

Oh, and I do realize the cartridges are identical, but somehow if this was possible. Eh, never mind lol

They could, but the stores could just tell the publishers that they won't sell the game at all. In the UK it seems every store that sells games (including supermarkets) now has a used game market so upsetting them wouldn't be a smart move.
---
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)" Eddie Izzard
#13VyersPosted 8/6/2011 1:06:12 AM
legendarylemur posted...
Hmm... couldn't the devs forbid the sellers to sell those used games along with the instruction manual somehow? I mean, I feel this could work if it's possible.

Oh, and I do realize the cartridges are identical, but somehow if this was possible. Eh, never mind lol

I could legally sell a game in its entire package; why couldn't a store?

If they could restrict portions of the sales, why couldn't they restrict used game sales period?
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Alice in Wonderland (DS), Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
#14KorlithielPosted 8/6/2011 1:12:09 AM
legendarylemur, that seems like a fine idea. It would reduce used game sales but not destroy them. The problem is it might cost more to produce then is worthwhile, since it would need to be a different code per game or it would end up online.
---
Please do not feed the trolls, mark & move on. Potentially posted from my 3DS.
#15EoinPosted 8/6/2011 4:34:12 AM
Why on Earth would we want save files to be "used game proof"? What would be the point of that? Who would that benefit? It absolutely would not be us, the consumers.

The solution to any and all save file issues is completely simple: all game saves should be deleteable at will, and that is the only acceptable situation. No debates, no alternatives, no messing around with silly codes, no restrictions.
#16WallydraiglePosted 8/6/2011 8:53:24 AM
Eoin posted...
Why on Earth would we want save files to be "used game proof"? What would be the point of that? Who would that benefit? It absolutely would not be us, the consumers.

The solution to any and all save file issues is completely simple: all game saves should be deleteable at will, and that is the only acceptable situation. No debates, no alternatives, no messing around with silly codes, no restrictions.

It benefits the corporation by getting more people to buy new instead of used. You see, in Nintendo's eyes, if you go to a garage sale and buy a used game, that's piracy.

Think it won't happen? Already has, sorta. Remember the first Pokemon Ranger game that gave out the manaphy egg? You could only get the manaphy egg one time on your save file, and then if you tried to clear your file it still didn't clear the part that gave out manaphy. The game was truly horrible, and people only bought it at all to get manaphy. This lead to no one wanting to buy the game used or even rent it, because doing so still wouldn't let you get manaphy, which was the only thing the game had going for it.

But this leads us back to these kinds of measures only screwing over legitimate customers, because of course pirated ROMs could give out manaphy as many times as desired, and flashcard users could clear that part of the memory on a retail card anyway. But Nintendo doesn't care about screwing over loyal customers as long as they get paid, which you can see once again in recent events with the 3DS. It's like deja vu all over again.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#17trizznillaPosted 8/6/2011 9:16:27 AM
Or... you could realize that you're whining over the save file of a score attack game. If it comes down to any other genre, I'll grab my torch and pitchfork.
---
hardcore about the casual.
#18chickenturkey10Posted 8/6/2011 9:17:17 AM
Button Combo...
---
Wii code: 3632-6979-8230-7885
#19Cave_LionPosted 8/6/2011 9:20:26 AM
I'm sorry but it's a terrible and impractical idea.

Or they could just stop trying to screw over the people who already are buying games new in the first place and look at ways to get more people to want to buy new. That might work a whole lot better for everyone. Seriously, so many used game sale killing ploys or piracy killing ploys only end up making people either not want the game at all or make them want to pirate it even more because it screws over people who actually buy a brand new copy of the game.

This.
---
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/Mithos_2006/reggielol.png