it's a good thing that Nintendo sell the 3DS with a loss after the pricedrop

#1GimeaPosted 8/6/2011 3:55:03 AM
Imagine the 3DS having the pricecut of 30% and STILL making a profit. That would be just wrong.
---
Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgao249jNg
#2xCha0sPosted 8/6/2011 3:58:29 AM(edited)
The Wii is only 101 dollars in parts, and they sold it for 250 at launch. the 3DS actually has much more expensive hardware inside it, than the Wii does.

the Wii-U's controller uses Wii parts, possibly to reduce the cost of the controller, so it's already guaranteed to "feel cheap"
#3strongo9Posted 8/6/2011 4:16:25 AM
^Siting the price of parts only? When do you stop?
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#4xCha0sPosted 8/6/2011 9:04:20 AM
stop what? telling the truth? its not my fault it makes you angry that nintendo sells their consoles for 2.5X profit.
#5WallydraiglePosted 8/6/2011 9:13:05 AM
There's no way they're selling it at a loss. I'll never believe it. They can do accounting tricks to show on paper that they're selling at a loss so people feel like they're getting a better deal, or to cheat on taxes, or whatever, but there's just no way, and a little critical thinking should make it obvious. All the electrical components on the board cost at most a few cents each, especially in the volume Nintendo is buying them. The CPU/GPU is old tech and costs a few bucks at most in high volume. The plastic shell costs next to nothing. The factory is in china, so there's almost nothing in labor. That leaves the parallax barrier as the only semi-expensive part. I've seen a $20 figure bandied about on these, but in reality in the volume that Nintendo is buying them it's probably much less. But say we give them the $20, I'm supposed to believe there are over $80 worth of resistors and eeproms in there? Really? It just doesn't add up.

Yeah, of course they have a considerable amount invested in research, marketing, logistics, etc., but this isn't usually what people are talking about when they say it costs over $100 to make a 3DS.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#6twistedreality1Posted 8/6/2011 9:20:31 AM
So research and development, advertising, production, shipping and retailer profits are free?
#71shadetail1Posted 8/6/2011 9:20:55 AM
["Imagine the 3DS having the pricecut of 30% and STILL making a profit. That would be just wrong."]

Wrong how? And please, give me an answer that doesn't boil down to, "I'm pissy that I paid so much!"
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#8Big_IsaacPosted 8/6/2011 9:24:34 AM
it was confirmed that the pure material the 3DS is made of cost 101 Dollars
added to that is labor, R&D, shipping and the retailer's share
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF ratings (X/10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 8, VII: 6, VIII: 2, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 7, XII: 9
#9emagdnEPosted 8/6/2011 9:26:47 AM
wasn't the supposed cost to produce each 3DS somewhere around $101?

won't they cost $169 after the price drop?

I'm no math magician, and most certainly didn't care for learning anything beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division under the belief that everything else school tried to shove down my throat had no practical applications, but I'm pretty sure $169 sales - 101 manufacturing costs = $68 profit

and let's not forget that around 4 million people bought the thing with the $250 price tag, meaning they already got a pile of cash off the thing.....
---
Note to self: Cannon highly effective against flesh. -Mimiron
#10Cave_LionPosted 8/6/2011 9:27:48 AM
Wrong how? And please, give me an answer that doesn't boil down to, "I'm pissy that I paid so much!"

It's not wrong. Just like Iwata coming to your house, bending you over and giving you a good spank. It's not wrong.
---
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/Mithos_2006/reggielol.png