The Walmart 3DS early price drop might just be a pre-order

#11FishbulbPosted 8/8/2011 5:19:41 AM
In reply to Orange-Apples post: I really like your style and thought behind what you say, so I'm going to take the time to reply in kind....

You make a lot of interesting points, but I think your overall conclusion is wrong. I’ll address the 3 places I think you went off track:

1. Each of those free games was a potential sale.

This is the same faulty logic that the music industry uses to “report” on lost revenue due to piracy. They treat every downloaded song as a potential sale while in reality the actual number of people who would have otherwise paid is really low. Factor in that Nintendo says that they do not even have plans to release many of these games in the future, and I think this can be debunked.

2. If you have a $250 system, subtract $80 from the total and give away $150 in free games, you're selling a $250 system for $20.

Following up on point 1, you can’t assign an $150 value to the games. There *is* a value to Nintendo, but only in that they have make it harder to sell those games in the future to anyone who got them for free now. For example, why purchase Balloon Fight on the Wii-U e-shop when you already have it for free on the 3DS. There is no immediate bottom-line loss for Nintendo in offering these free games and there was no development cost or licensing fees to pay either since it’s only their own games being offered.

3. Awesome for the consumer, horrible for the company. Nintendo does not want that.

Nintendo does want this…. Badly. I suspect they are still making money on the hardware, but the main benefit is they get to increase their installed user-base which makes shareholders happy. It’s all about the numbers and they won’t care if people buy a 3DS on the 9th, or 12th… they want to show that they can actually sell these things to make the stockholders happy.
---
Everything that is not forbidden should be mandatory.
#12kyomagiPosted 8/8/2011 5:43:49 AM
I love seeing everyone here "wishing" the loopholers get screwed.

All i see are a bunch of butt hurt nintendo white knights
#13nintendoggerPosted 8/8/2011 5:52:04 AM
Fishbulb posted...
In reply to Orange-Apples post: I really like your style and thought behind what you say, so I'm going to take the time to reply in kind....

You make a lot of interesting points, but I think your overall conclusion is wrong. I’ll address the 3 places I think you went off track:

This is the same faulty logic that the music industry uses to “report” on lost revenue due to piracy. They treat every downloaded song as a potential sale while in reality the actual number of people who would have otherwise paid is really low. Factor in that Nintendo says that they do not even have plans to release many of these games in the future, and I think this can be debunked.

2. If you have a $250 system, subtract $80 from the total and give away $150 in free games, you're selling a $250 system for $20.

Following up on point 1, you can’t assign an $150 value to the games. There *is* a value to Nintendo, but only in that they have make it harder to sell those games in the future to anyone who got them for free now. For example, why purchase Balloon Fight on the Wii-U e-shop when you already have it for free on the 3DS. There is no immediate bottom-line loss for Nintendo in offering these free games and there was no development cost or licensing fees to pay either since it’s only their own games being offered.

3. Awesome for the consumer, horrible for the company. Nintendo does not want that.

Nintendo does want this…. Badly. I suspect they are still making money on the hardware, but the main benefit is they get to increase their installed user-base which makes shareholders happy. It’s all about the numbers and they won’t care if people buy a 3DS on the 9th, or 12th… they want to show that they can actually sell these things to make the stockholders happy.

1. You're absolutely right, there isn't a game on the list (right now) that I'd pay more than 2$ for. I'm sure there are plenty of others who agree with me.

2. Let's get this straight, Nintendo is making a great deal here, get 20 free games, or get a cheaper system. (I'm talking from a first time buyer stance.) Whether the free games are worth $80 is up to each individual person to judge.

3. I have a 3DS now, why in the Hell would Nintendo not want this? I agree with fishbulb completely.
---
I will always be able to chop onions in Wii Party faster than you. Always.
Proud female gamer.
#14FayeLadyPosted 8/8/2011 6:01:37 AM
I can't believe people are still bickering about this. Why take the chance? Just buy one today, and price match later. People are going to screw themselves over waiting for the last moment, and good riddance if they do.
---
#15kyomagiPosted 8/8/2011 6:04:49 AM
^ THIS

I got my wifes on saturday. I flat out asked the guy, who knew about the drop and games and said "we have to price match"
#16FayeLadyPosted 8/8/2011 6:15:07 AM
kyomagi posted...
^ THIS

I got my wifes on saturday. I flat out asked the guy, who knew about the drop and games and said "we have to price match"

Exactly. If in doubt just do this. If you want to be particularly careful, ask them their name.
---
#17Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 7:02:26 AM
Fishbulb posted...

yeah, I actually read up on this recently and you're right, apparently nintendo isn't planning on releasing any of the GBA games to the e-shop. Not quite sure why, but if we have learned anything from the past few months it is that Nintendo doesn't seem to be very good at planning. If you're looking at the history of the 3DS since launch this really would be the lesser of two horrible positions. Heck, if this doesn't get people to buy the 3DS Nintendo will be forced to drop the price again. Happened to the PSP GO.

Since Nintendo has no plans of releasing the GBA games to the shop the most value I can put in the potential loss is $50, and that is from basing the price of the NES games on the 3DS e-shop on the prices of the NES games on the Wii Shop. I've also seen the 200 point games on the DSI ware store. The NES titles are worth WAY more than those things. But yeah, I'll concede to even letting the $50 point be on shaky ground.

yeah, getting those sales on the 3DS would make the shareholders happy; happy shareholders means a happy company. To them 'Nintendo's 3DS sales numbers are up' just means Nintendo's 3DS sales are up. They don't care for the technical how or why. If you cut the price by a third and sell twice as many that is still a net win. the arguable $50 point isn't that bad to have to deal with considering they'd have to know that not everyone is planning on getting all 10 NES games.

funny how when I read that Nintendo wasn't planning on releasing those GBA games outside of the ambassador program I pretty much saw how my whole argument fell apart. meh, the more you know. I had actually come back to this topic to edit that post, but since you have already responded to it, I think I'll leave it.
---
The order I like the Final Fantasy series: 4>8>7>10=12>3 Current FF: recommendations? 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 13?
Pokemon Black FC: 3611 1768 5629
#18Mr_PoopletsPosted 8/8/2011 3:00:49 PM
Thank you fishbulb for writting that out, as i am lazy.
---
PooP?
#19NyyarkPosted 8/8/2011 3:44:08 PM
Don't forget Nintendo is using the ambassadors to beta test their emulation software. I doubt they're writing off each game as a full potential sale.