Any info on how the free games are being released?

#1deadANDrottedPosted 8/8/2011 2:44:59 PM
I know the Sept 1 for NES and befire the end of 2011 for the GBA. I'm wondering if anybody has heard are they releasing the games all at once or a title or 2 every week.

Personly I'm hoping for 1 big download with every game on 1 file and when you go to play you have a selction screen. (kind of like the old Play Choice 10 arcade machines)
#2jayman7Posted 8/8/2011 2:50:30 PM
The general belief seems to be that all ten NES games will be released at once, though I looked at the original press statement earlier and noticed that it was actually a little bit ambiguous. Whatever the case, I'm hoping they'll all be September 1 releases (otherwise, what happens to those people who don't like the September 1 release and wanted the, I dunno, September 22 release first?)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3NyyarkPosted 8/8/2011 2:57:30 PM
They'll probably release at-least 1 september first, and depending on the games we might a couple together if they're on the same engine/emulator.
#4deadANDrotted(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 3:09:43 PM
jayman7 posted...
The general belief seems to be that all ten NES games will be released at once, though I looked at the original press statement earlier and noticed that it was actually a little bit ambiguous. Whatever the case, I'm hoping they'll all be September 1 releases (otherwise, what happens to those people who don't like the September 1 release and wanted the, I dunno, September 22 release first?)

Thats why I am asking the press release isn't very clear other than a date.
#5GoldenSun3DSPosted 8/8/2011 3:12:23 PM
Since the 10 NES games are going to be available as paid downloads, I'm betting they're going to be individual downloads.
---
Uncancel Mega Man Legends 3! Join the devroom and sign the ONLY OFFICIAL MML3 PETITION:
http://bitly.com/rigdKs *Please make this your sig*
#6EoinPosted 8/8/2011 4:36:29 PM
I am fairly sure that they'll be separate, weekly downloads, rather than all at once. Here's my reasoning:

1. Releasing a ton of games at once would mean that people would play...a few games, and leave the rest. Many people would possibly replay the games they'd enjoyed already, ignoring the others. They'd plan to come back to them, but that wouldn't happen. They'd enjoy the offer less as a result, and since this is a goodwill gesture, Nintendo really want (perhaps need) people to enjoy this offer.

2. Tons of games at once would mean that the retail 3DS games and Virtual console games released at the same stage would suffer. That could potentially mean that Star Fox sales were lowered, meaning less money for Nintendo. It could also mean less sales for Pac Man & Galaga, and for Driver: Renegade, and even though those are only two games, Namco Bandai and Ubisoft are both fairly large publishers that Nintendo probably don't want to annoy.

3. Although the games are fairly small, there'll be millions downloading them. Releasing them on a weekly basis instead of all at once spreads the bandwidth requirement over the rest of the year instead of having one huge peak week, which could stress the servers the eShop is hosted on.

4. It's possible that Nintendo don't actually know what the other, unrevealed games are going to be. They may want to see what people are saying about the downloads, and decide what other games to include once they see what the reactions are. They can't do that if they just dump all the games on us at once.

5. The press release said "beginning" September 1st, rather than "on" September 1st. If they were going to give us all the games at once, I don't think they'd word it like that.

6. It's fairly clear that Nintendo made this decision quickly. What we know about the features that the games will support suggests (very, very strongly) that the emulators for the NES and GBA aren't fully ready. Having additional time, after September 1st, gives Nintendo time to get them ready.

7. Nintendo may want to use the games as a kind of marketing scheme. For example, we know we're getting Mario Kart on GBA - Nintendo might want to time that so that it appears, say, a week or two before the launch of Mario Kart on 3DS, hoping to encourage sales of that game to "new" fans of Mario Kart, who started playing with the free game. If they do want to do that, timing is important, and giving away all the games at once removes the means for Nintendo to control that timing.

8. Last (and possibly least), between September 1st and the end of the year (when we've been promised all the GBA games, at least), there are 18 Thursdays (inclusive). 20 games, 18 updates - that's time for....let's say one game a week nearly every week, with two games in the first week and two games on Christmas week. It might be pure co-incidence, of course, but I think the near-match between the number of weeks left once the giveaway begins and the number of games they're giving away might be relevant.

All of the above is speculation. One or more - perhaps many - of the above points could easily turn out to be completely untrue, something Nintendo haven't thought about, or perhaps something Nintendo haven't thought about yet. However, I think there's enough reasons for weekly releases to make it the most likely way that this offer is going to work.
#7jayman7Posted 8/8/2011 4:40:03 PM
Eoin posted...
4. It's possible that Nintendo don't actually know what the other, unrevealed games are going to be. They may want to see what people are saying about the downloads, and decide what other games to include once they see what the reactions are. They can't do that if they just dump all the games on us at once.

I thought I'd heard somewhere that they were going to announce the remaining titles this week.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere