Is the 3D supposed to look... choppy?

#11Icymane_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 7:30:18 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
helldews posted...
its not literally twice as much but it does take up extra GPU power due to having to display the image to both eyes.

If you can give me an explanation I might believe you. From my understanding, the gpu has to process every vertex twice from two camera angles, and also has to process twice the pixels(One 240x400 image for each camera, which are displayed on the 3DS's screen, which technically has a 240x800 resolution. In 2D mode, the image is only 240x400).

Not exactly. From my understanding, the same amount of frames are produced in 2D and 3D mode. The difference is that for 3D it's done in an alternating fashion, left-right-left. Each frame is turned into a picture (meaning the computer data behind the image is gone, if that makes any sense) and every two frames are spliced together to create the 3D effect. So it's not like it's processing twice as much data simultaneously.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#12elheberPosted 8/8/2011 7:48:34 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
helldews posted...
its not literally twice as much but it does take up extra GPU power due to having to display the image to both eyes.

If you can give me an explanation I might believe you. From my understanding, the gpu has to process every vertex twice from two camera angles, and also has to process twice the pixels(One 240x400 image for each camera, which are displayed on the 3DS's screen, which technically has a 240x800 resolution. In 2D mode, the image is only 240x400).

It's not exactly twice the power, even for just the GPU. A lot of the work done for one frame at one angle can be re-used for the other angle without the need to re-calculate. Each frame/step may only need to cache or buffer some things once instead and then just recall it for the other render, such as caching textures and whatnot. It's still tons of work and perhaps almost twice, but not exactly twice. I don't know a lot about this but I've read things from people who do *cough* GDS *cough*.

Also, things the CPU does that doesn't directly involve rendering only needs to be done once, such as calculating the placement of drop shadows and lighting conditions. Ironically, making a game run at 60fps by switching to 2D may make the CPU do twice the work (twice as much game logic per second) while the GPU does half (half the rendering per second). But I heard games like Street Fighter had the CPU run the gameplay at 60 times a second even if the game was rendering at 30fps.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
#13BendilinPosted 8/8/2011 7:50:39 PM
It's dependent on the game and developer. Plenty of 3DS games run at 60 FPS in 3D.

The only game I know for sure of though, is that Super Street Fighter IV runs at 30 fps in 3D and 60 fps with no 3D.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2621-2634-3009
http://www.iceruby.com/sonicadvance3/Sonic%203DS.png
#14AmakusaPosted 8/8/2011 11:12:57 PM
munkey55 posted...
The demos in the stores aren't really good places to grasp the 3D. Looks much better when you have your own in your hands.

That depends on the demo unit. The one I saw at my local Gamestop several months ago is what actually sold me on buying the 3DS in the first place.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#15SkyCrackersPosted 8/8/2011 11:19:57 PM
Icymane_Shado posted...

Not exactly. From my understanding, the same amount of frames are produced in 2D and 3D mode. The difference is that for 3D it's done in an alternating fashion, left-right-left. Each frame is turned into a picture (meaning the computer data behind the image is gone, if that makes any sense) and every two frames are spliced together to create the 3D effect. So it's not like it's processing twice as much data simultaneously.

That's basically just another way of saying the same thing. It still takes about twice as much power to render a complete 3D frame than a 2D one.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#16Icymane_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 11:51:44 PM
And since the amount of full frames rendered is cut in half, the same amount of 240x400 frames are being made - meaning there is no "doubling" to the processing power required. Sure, there is some overhead involved in this rendering technique, but that's not the same as 3D on the 3DS requiring TWICE the GPU processing power (which is what you said).
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#17PinchekriaPosted 8/9/2011 12:02:34 AM
Yeah I had tried Dead or Alive also and it looked very choppy. It depends on the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/X871v.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Cwrha.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Gf4s.jpg http://i.imgur.com/WkTHu.jpg
#18Icymane_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 5:24:28 PM
Thanks for the input.
---
#19NnamzPosted 8/9/2011 5:33:10 PM
Icymane_Shado posted...
I tried this thing again in Best Buy today, on Dead or Alive. It seemed to run at 60 FPS with the 3D off, and 15 with the 3D on. This is very disappointing to me.

Like others have said, it takes extra power to run in 3D mode which hinders the framerate for most games.

DOA runs at 60fps in battle and 30fps in cut scenes while in 2D mode, but runs at 30fps in battle and a crawling 15fps in cut scenes with 3D enabled. Street Fighter 4's framerate is also halved.

Zelda runs and a somewhat similar framerate with it on and off (a solid 30fps with it off and a not so solid, but passable, 30fps with it on). However the game looks far smoother with it off due to the anti-aliasing being completely turned off with 3D mode on and completely turned on with 2D mode enabled. The difference is really night and day with that game as well.

There are several games coming out which promise a consistent framerate between 2D and 3D modes, but since it still requires much more GPU power to run games in 3D, expect other graphical downgrades (such as anti aliasing being turned off) or the game being gimped for the get-go to achieve consistency.

For most people it isn't make it or break it though. Personally, the only game I found unbearable to play in 3D mode thus far has been DOA. Street Fighter was okay (though obviously superior in 2D mode), and although Zelda had it's problems in 3D mode (anti aliasing, seeing double images, etc) I still used it for most of the game.
---
PSN ID: Nnamz
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402