So I just found out there's gonna be a game using a 64GB card

#41gransPosted 8/9/2011 11:59:59 AM

I think they meant 64 GigaBITS which is about 7 GigaBYTEs which is just about the maximum capacity of a 3DS cartridge

Basically, they're going to use all of the power of the 3DS to make this game.

64gigabits is equal to 8GB, not 7. And the capacity of a 3DS cartridge has nothing to do with the system's power.

I'm pretty sure TC got his gigabytes and his megabytes mixed up. 1000 megabytes equals one gigabyte. A smaller, 64 megabyte game is very likely.

It's not TC that was saying it (though he posted it here), it's the people who wrote that tvtropes article that were the origin of the misinformation. They actually do think it's 64 gigabytes, they compared it to a dual layer bluray disk. And Love Plus is actually likely using a rather large 3DS cartridge. The two previous Love Plus games on DS were 256MB and 512MB respectively, the latter of which used the largest DS cartridge available at that time (only a handful of games used 512MB DS carts). I could imagine Love Plus 3DS using a somewhat large cartridge. Likely as large or larger than 512MB, but not going to say for sure (no clue). Can't imagine them downgrading it by any means. That would be counter productive to do so.

I usually hate making assumptions, but i think i can reasonably guarantee that you won't see any 64GB 3DS games. I'm even not expecting any games to break the 8GB mark (though we'll see). Definitely going to just outright say no to 64GB carts, that's a ridiculous size, i would see NO reason to use such a size (i don't even know of any game on ANY system that uses that much data). And it would be astronomically expensive to the developer (the game would have to cost around $100 or so).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#42Yusuke UrameshiPosted 8/9/2011 12:02:43 PM
grans posted...
I'm even not expecting any games to break the 8GB mark (though we'll see).

Just FYI, 8GB is 64Gb.
---
Just to be safe, until I see more data I'm going to assume cancer causes cell phones.
#43gransPosted 8/9/2011 12:25:21 PM

grans posted...
I'm even not expecting any games to break the 8GB mark (though we'll see).

Just FYI, 8GB is 64Gb.

Did you even read my entire message? Had you, you'd have found this-

[quoted text]

64gigabits is equal to 8GB, not 7. And the capacity of a 3DS cartridge has nothing to do with the system's power.

I am not expecting 3DS to break the 8GB size. I don't think it's even necessary as 8GB is plenty, but we'll see (the manufacturer of 3DS cartridges stated the limit was 8GB anyways).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#44Yusuke UrameshiPosted 8/9/2011 12:33:00 PM
Sorry.
---
Just to be safe, until I see more data I'm going to assume cancer causes cell phones.
#45Megaman OmegaPosted 8/9/2011 12:51:22 PM
Yeah, we probably won't see 64 GB games on the 3DS. Though it would be funny if the 3DS had games that are "bigger" than Wii U (or PS3) ones. Development wise, it would be possible. I think i read somewhere that one of RAGE's software builds used by the developers is over 1TB big. Hardware wise, it should be possible, if the 3DS can't deal with such big cards then it should be able to with a firmware update, and if that doesn't work, a memory mapper on the card should do the rtick.

However, we won't see such games because it wouldn't make sense economically, such big memory cards would cost a lot of extra money. There had to be a damn good reason for why such a big amount of memory is used, and i can't think of any. Most games don't need 10GB, let alone 20GB... let alone 64GB.

To see such games, the 3DS would need to have a pretty long lifespan. 8GB games shouldn't be an issue on the 3DS now (and will probably already come out next year). According to Moore's law and similar ones (Moore's works pretty well with memory, too), it would take 6 years for a 64GB card to be available at the same price as 8 GB ones today. But that still won't justify something like that. Another few years would have to pass to make them cheap enough to make developers consider using them or the tiny advantage of having such a stupidly big amount of memory.
---
3D screens.. how do they work? are they similar to magnets? PS: Please no replies from scientists.. you're always lyin, and gettin me pissed.
~ Mario64DStyle