about region-locking...?

#11LordAndrewPosted 8/9/2011 2:14:10 PM
meltonbj posted...
Why is the 3DS region locked. Is it to do with piracy?

Probably not. 3DS piracy will be region-free, surely. Even if the region-locking issue isn't solved, piracy will still happen. It's not an obstacle to piracy.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#12EoinPosted 8/9/2011 2:31:17 PM
Jeraleep posted...
i'm not sure why it's region-locked, but i think region restrictions usually have to with rating/content. what might be acceptable content in one region might be more strictly regulated in other regions, like violence, drugs, sexual stuff, etc.

SimpleStar010 posted...
See if the 3DS was region free that would mean that someone would get be able to get a Japanese 3DS game and not get the English version, that would mean that NoA wouldn't get money for that game, NoJ would get it.

If these were really a problem, then they should also have been problems for the DS and the GameBoy range.

Therefore, neither of these are the action reason behind region locks.

Any attempt to explain region locks must explain the following things:

- Why region-free and region-lock-optional consoles exist (therefore: we know it's not mandatory)

- Why the regions are they way they are (for example - a lot of people used to think region locks on home consoles were because of different TV systems...but the US and Japan use the same TV system yet are typically in different regions.

- Why the region system is different to the region system used by DVD movies, and also different to the region system used by Blu-ray movies

- Why there aren't more regions (as we would expect if it were due to legal issues or ratings issues or any significant governmental interference)

- Nintendo specific bonus: why Nintendo can swap from region-free machines like the DS to region-locked machines like the 3DS (so we know it's not simply a matter of corporate policy for Nintendo).

The one single explanation that actually fits in and makes any kind of sense is price discrimination between regions.
#13CosmoKramer4700Posted 8/9/2011 2:32:38 PM
=( I want One Piece Unlimited Crusie SP....at least I can still get Gigant Battle 2 Shinsekai.
---
Gutalala Sudalala
ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS! - The Great Pirate, Edward Newgate "Whitebeard"
#14SimpleStar010Posted 8/9/2011 2:33:58 PM
CosmoKramer4700 posted...
=( I want One Piece Unlimited Crusie SP....at least I can still get Gigant Battle 2 Shinsekai.

Don't cry, I want it too.
---
fjdsklfjsklfhjthreteritw[wvnbmcv,11445o3jnm- The Trent
#15JackstinPosted 8/9/2011 2:34:41 PM
colt85 posted...
^ lolwut? What does one thing have to do with another?

I couldn't think of a good reason, really. I was hoping it wasn't just for money-reasons.
#16PokeMasterPosted 8/9/2011 2:51:18 PM
@Eoin, I was under the impression that NTSC-J and NTSC-U are similar but not exactly the same system. (Though for all intents and purposes they act the same)
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#17EoinPosted 8/9/2011 11:00:11 PM
PokeMaster posted...
@Eoin, I was under the impression that NTSC-J and NTSC-U are similar but not exactly the same system. (Though for all intents and purposes they act the same)

They're slightly different but completely compatible. There's a massively bigger difference between the PAL variants that make up the PAL region in game system's regional divisions. It might be worth going into more detail if this were an A/V topic, but for the purposes of region locking I think that's enough info (possibly too much :p).
#18noutBrPosted 8/10/2011 12:45:59 AM
Except with the HDTV becoming more and more standard issue in most households (especially ones with people who play games) the PAL/NTSC difference doesn't really matter anymore. Besides, later PAL SDTV's all support 60Hz as well as 50Hz. Price difference has and will always be the reason and they will never admit it.

The number of people who actually import is also not that big so all a region lock does is piss off fans of certain games that they can only play by importing.

IMO region locking should be made illegal, in this day and age with the internet interfering more and more in our lives the world is becoming much smaller. News and information travels around at light speed and web shops allow people to buy anything from anywhere in the world. Nintendo took a huge step backwards and I'm glad that at least Sony has decided that region free is the way to go with their gaming systems.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#19EoinPosted 8/10/2011 1:23:11 AM
noutBr posted...
Except with the HDTV becoming more and more standard issue in most households (especially ones with people who play games) the PAL/NTSC difference doesn't really matter anymore. Besides, later PAL SDTV's all support 60Hz as well as 50Hz.

Perhaps you're missing my point? I was saying that in terms of region locking, PAL and NTSC were never the reason, using that as an example to illustrate that any explanation given for region locking would have to explain why the divisions between regions exist as they do.