Battery question.

#1RamPaGe74Posted 8/10/2011 7:23:03 AM
I'm picking up a 3ds in a few hours. Should I fully charge it before first use? I heard that it can harm the battery if you don't let it charge fully the first time you get. Is that true?
---
GT/PSN: RaMpAgiNgPaNda7
#2EoinPosted 8/10/2011 7:25:35 AM
It won't harm the battery if you don't charge it before use.
#3blablablax17Posted 8/10/2011 7:31:56 AM
charge it while you use it?
#4GeekyDadPosted 8/10/2011 7:49:37 AM
Eoin posted...

If you read the included manual, it specifically states that you should fully charge the system before using it to ensure optimal battery life. Translation: not doing so will likely shorten the battery life.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#5PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 8:00:49 AM
GeekyDad posted...
Eoin posted...

If you read the included manual, it specifically states that you should fully charge the system before using it to ensure optimal battery life. Translation: not doing so will likely shorten the battery life.

That part of the manual is a relic of older electronics which required devices to be fully charged then fully drained to ensure optimal battery life.

Li-on batteries are fine to use/charge from the get go.
Just don't drain them.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#6EoinPosted 8/10/2011 8:36:37 AM(edited)
GeekyDad posted...

With lithium ion batteries, there are only really three things that will shorten the battery life.

The first is simple - wear and tear. Batteries lose capacity over time. Nothing at all can prevent this, although it can be minimised through proper charging, and proper storage when not in use.

The second is the battery being completely drained. Nearly all devices that use a lithium ion battery (including the 3DS) will power down (and stay powered down) with some charge left in the battery, specifically to do as much as possible to stop you from actually draining it. A "dead" battery really means "charge me as soon as feasibly possible".

The final thing is temperature...I won't talk too much about that, other than to say that, as with pretty much all electronics, high or low temperatures (outside of, say, the "comfortable human living" range) are not good.

Using the battery that comes with the 3DS is fine. It will not shorten the battery life. It won't damage the machine. The instruction manual is not really useful here. It's either wrong, or attempting to prevent people from doing something silly like opening a new 3DS, starting a system update, and having the battery die in the middle of it.
#7PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 8:39:30 AM
^and to add to Eoins post, as someone mentioned in another thread:

Hardware manufacturers/desginers don't necessarily design batteries. It's more like a template that all electronics (have to?) use to cover their ass in the case of stupid consumers.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#8EoinPosted 8/10/2011 9:00:46 AM
PokeMaster posted...
Hardware manufacturers/desginers don't necessarily design batteries.

Yeah, you're completely correct.

Even if they did...they don't write manuals :).
#9strongo9Posted 8/10/2011 9:11:55 AM
Yes, charge the 3DS first.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!