How close do you have to be to streetpass?

#1GTMPosted 8/10/2011 7:27:06 AM
My friend lives somewhat near me, and walks by my house to the bus stop when he goes to work at 5:30 in the morning. He recently got a 3DS (ibscambassador, etc) and we basically want to know how close you have to be to get streetpass to work. Do we literally have to walk past each other, or can I leave my 3ds in sleep next to the window as he walks past (there is a 10 foot or so front yard in front of my house)? I'd try to test it myself, but he just got it and having one streetpass between us a day makes it hard to test.

Don't want neighbours to see him creepily walk around my garden at 5:30 in the morning either.

tl;dr version: If a 3ds walks by my house at 5:30 in the morning, and I'm not awake to see it, does it make a sound?
---
Growlithe-Tackling Mantine - Go To Meowth - Gardevoir + Mamoswine
Woo Woo Woo! You Know It!
#2PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 7:28:10 AM
30m / 100ft. Same as normal wireless usage (under optimal conditions)
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#3GTM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2011 7:30:39 AM
So it works the same way as any normal wireless thing, like Pictochat (lol) or download play? It's not artificially restricted or anything?

Welp time to pull out a tape measure.

Thanks, bro.
---
#4PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 8:03:19 AM
Well, this is going by whats in the manual.

My reasoning is:

-SP uses Wireless.
-Manual says wireless works 30m/100ft
-Therefore, SP works within 30m/100ft.

Though in reality, you'd probably get less than that due to interference from other electronic devices, walls, reflecting off stuff, etc etc.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#5GTM(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2011 8:18:20 AM
Ah yes, the manual.

I usually read game manuals, but I generally forget systems come with 200 page ones.

Cool beans.
---