Is the 3DS a good system?

#1XBLbasterdPosted 8/10/2011 9:41:31 AM
I've been thinking of getting one, but I hear the battery life is horrible.
#21shadetail1Posted 8/10/2011 9:45:57 AM
The battery life isn't as bad as people make it out to be, particularly if you take some common-sense power saving steps (reduce screen brightness, use 3D sparingly, put unit to sleep when not in use, etc.).

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Walking is my main form of exercise, so the pedometer has become quite useful. I also use it as a digital camera. And that's on top of the games.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#3PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 9:49:52 AM
battery life is fine.

you don't honestly play for 10 hours at a time?

and if you did, most likely you'd be at home, or near a powerpoint.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#4trenkenPosted 8/10/2011 9:55:03 AM
Handhelds are built for travelling and portability. Lots of travelling takes place over more than a couple hours, so yeah, the battery life is awful.

I use mine to commute to and from work mostly, and it wont last there and back.

If I wanted to play it at home id rather just play one of my consoles on a 60" TV. I look like a dope playing on this 3" screen when I have a giant HDTV sitting in front of me. So the fact that the battery life is garbage goes against the main reason for owning a handheld.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#5ORANGE666Posted 8/10/2011 9:55:55 AM
The battery life does not need to be more than 5 hours. I see all these topics about battery but I wonder where you guys are playing the system for so many hours and why
#6trenkenPosted 8/10/2011 9:59:01 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
The battery life does not need to be more than 5 hours. I see all these topics about battery but I wonder where you guys are playing the system for so many hours and why

People like to go on vacation just so you know. Some of us have commutes. I take the train 1.5 hours to and from work. My 3DS dies on me all the time. Everyday basically.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#7lambchipsPosted 8/10/2011 9:59:51 AM
the battery life is bad afaik
(but i wouldnt know since a few weeks after having a 3ds i installed a third party battery... 6-7 hours for 3ds games and 10+hours for ds games, well i only played 1 ds game on it and its dragon quest 9 but it lasted around 10hours)

the only flaws are (imo)
- bottom screen touching the top screen (if you have a 360 you can use those stoppers but not everyone would buy a 360 just for them)
- start/select/home buttons are near impossible to press
- soft resetting for pokemon is nearly impossible without repositioning your hand (i hope gamefreak changes soft reset to start+ select+ shoulder buttons)
- the system is FARRR too small (would it kill nintendo to give us 2 versions of the launch product? a phat one and a small one? i would easily pick the phat version)
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#8PokeMasterPosted 8/10/2011 12:00:59 PM(edited)
trenken posted...
ORANGE666 posted...

People like to go on vacation just so you know. Some of us have commutes. I take the train 1.5 hours to and from work. My 3DS dies on me all the time. Everyday basically.

Takes me 2 hours to uni each way and my 3ds never dies.
I've never had it die on me at all.

I travel back to Japan 2-3 times a year, as well as around Asia for business/study and haven't had a problem with my 3DS dying on me either.
---
JPN Black 3DS (Launch) / OoT, Layton: Mask of Miracle, TotAbyss, Ridge, nintendogs,SFIV
VC Games: Super Mario Land, Dodgeball, Adventure Island 2
#9pikachupwnagePosted 8/10/2011 12:04:21 PM
trenken posted...
ORANGE666 posted...

uhh even at max everything tne 3ds lasts more then an hour amnd a half you obviously never make sure its fully charged before going on a long commute
---
If you believe in JESUS and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig. 3DS ambassador member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#10r_m_8_8Posted 8/10/2011 12:06:59 PM
I'm no hater, I love my 3DS, but the battery is definitely not nearly as good as my launch DS Lite's battery.

Using power saving mode, lowering the brightness and turning 3D and internet off do make a difference, though. This is the only reason I'd consider getting a redesign, definitely not the size because it's the same size as my DS Lite.
---
Play games, not systems. There are people who like games that you don't, grow up.