how bout some Graphical updated versions of Sonic Adventures 1 and 2

#11NinjaKitsunePosted 8/10/2011 9:04:32 PM

I honestly don't mind the new voices at all. I'd rather Sonic games weren't voiced at all (i like the Sonic 3 and Knuckles way of telling the story via gestures and actions), but they're pretty decent now. The Sonic Colors ones i mean. The 4kids dub gang sucks, but this new group are actually pretty good.

4kids was behind that? Well that explains everything.
---
Eventually everyone calms down, but not before a bank in Cleveland is held up by a man wielding only a stalk of asparagus.
#12Retrostarman87Posted 8/10/2011 9:19:46 PM
grans posted...
I honestly don't mind the new voices at all. I'd rather Sonic games weren't voiced at all (i like the Sonic 3 and Knuckles way of telling the story via gestures and actions), but they're pretty decent now. The Sonic Colors ones i mean. The 4kids dub gang sucks, but this new group are actually pretty good.

Seriously though, anyone trying to kid themselves into thinking the original Sonic Adventure 1 voices were good are in denial. The voices are cringe worthy, as well as the horrible pauses between the voices. Seriously, horrific-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-al5q0xmngc

I am not in denial at all! I will admit, SA was probably at the worst at their game, but they were just starting out. SA sound editors were probably drunk when matching the mouths with the VAs. The pausing was not the VAs fault. They did sound awkward, but like I said, this was pretty much their first game!

The VAs did wonderful jobs on SA2 and SH. However, the new VAs.....Tail's VA is ok, Eggman's pretty decent, but Sonic's, ohhhh don't get me started, he sounds like he has a chilli dog stuck down his throat! And they jokes told were terrible.

At least we can agree the 4Kids cast was awful, but I thought they did a pretty decent job in Sonic and the Black Knight, THEN they switch VAs when they were good. Irony.
---
The Gamecube was totally underrated.
People who Agree: 80 Tell me if you agree!
#13gransPosted 8/10/2011 10:00:48 PM(edited)

4kids was behind that? Well that explains everything.

Yes, i believe SEGA decided to hire the 4kids voices after Sonic Heroes. Dunno why, but they were rather well known due to the anime (the anime of Sonic X was the origin of that particular Sonic voice cast). Shadow the Hedgehog was the first Sonic game to use them IIRC. Since then, they've used those voices. Until Sonic Colors however, when they got an entirely new cast. A much better cast imo, probably the best one yet if you take the nostalgia goggles down a notch.

I am not in denial at all! I will admit, SA was probably at the worst at their game, but they were just starting out. SA sound editors were probably drunk when matching the mouths with the VAs. The pausing was not the VAs fault. They did sound awkward, but like I said, this was pretty much their first game!

The VAs did wonderful jobs on SA2 and SH. However, the new VAs.....Tail's VA is ok, Eggman's pretty decent, but Sonic's, ohhhh don't get me started, he sounds like he has a chilli dog stuck down his throat! And they jokes told were terrible.

At least we can agree the 4Kids cast was awful, but I thought they did a pretty decent job in Sonic and the Black Knight, THEN they switch VAs when they were good. Irony.

You're overestimating the SA and Heroes VA. Pauses were definitely the problem of sound editing, but the acting itself was bad. SA1 was horrible for pretty much every VA, i hate it with a passion (i highly enjoy the game itself, but the voices are horrifying). They definitely got better in SA2 and Heroes, but they were still pretty meh even with more experience. Sonic's voice actor was decent, better than that Jason guy from Sonic X for sure. But it was horribly corny and over the top. SA2 took the opposite direction in terms of sound editing in comparison to the first game. Instead of having extremely awkward pauses, character voices would often be edited in a way where one would talk OVER another. They tried to fix the SA1 editing issue too much and ended up achieving the exact opposite effect, voices were all clustered and overlapped on each other.

Colors is the only one so far that i really feel nailed Tails' voice perfectly. I've liked pretty much all the Eggman VA's, though the original SA1 did his voice horribly (sequels were miles better with the same VA). I just really feel Colors nailed all the stuff- voices that fit the character, direction of the VA's (making sure they nail all the right emotions and such), sound editing to make sure the pauses aren't awkward. I have absolutely no problem with Sonic's voice either. I didn't care much for him at first, but i quickly changed my mind when i heard him actually get INTO the role itself. He's a far better actual actor than any other Sonic game VA before him. Jaleel White will always be my favorite Sonic, but that's nostalgia talking. The new guy is really great. And i didn't mind the jokes. I actually enjoyed "Baldy Nosehair".
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#14MaSan27Posted 8/10/2011 11:08:55 PM
Yessssss. Chao gardens by it self would be worth a 15-20 download.
---
Ras Kass "Soul On Ice" 1996
Peace
#15SragentThomPosted 8/11/2011 8:41:17 AM
"I'd rather Sonic games weren't voiced at all"

What do you have against voice acting? There not a bunch of retarded 14 year olds who can't speak.
---
Halo fans are like the Zerg. They'll attack in infinite numbers, and will attack anything that is not their own kind.
"Sherardy"
#16gransPosted 8/11/2011 9:37:08 PM

"I'd rather Sonic games weren't voiced at all"

What do you have against voice acting? There not a bunch of *****14 year olds who can't speak.

I don't have anything against voice acting, far from it (i highly enjoy games like Kingdom Hearts, so i definitely like VA). I have something against BAD voice acting. And unfortunately, the majority of past voiced Sonic games did have characters who come across as moronic 14 year olds. Sonic Colors at least is a huge step in the right direction though, i'm perfectly satisfied with it. I just feel the epitome of the storytelling in a Sonic game was done via Sonic 3 & Knuckles. No talking was needed, gestures were enough. I am perfectly willing to forgo this mentality if they can replicate the same level of voice quality and acting from Colors in future games (and write better stories and dialog). I also enjoyed the story in the old Saturday morning Sonic cartoon (the one with the comic characters).

Provided SEGA can continue to provide good actors for their voices, i'm fine. As well as good dialog and plots.
---
-Granville
#17Rizaadon007Posted 8/11/2011 10:19:07 PM
Mike Pollock's Eggman voice is awesome. I'm glad they kept him aboard.
---
"Eirika, Level 20, 7 strength. Should I be concerned?" -Czardia
"It doesn't take that much Str to make a sammich, so she's good." -PokeAMon
#18Icymane_ShadoPosted 8/11/2011 10:25:16 PM
I would rather see a new Sonic game entirely.

Also, are you guys talking about the "new" voices post-Heroes or the actual new voices?
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#19gransPosted 8/11/2011 10:35:07 PM

I would rather see a new Sonic game entirely.

Also, are you guys talking about the "new" voices post-Heroes or the actual new voices?

The voices i'm referring to when i think of horrible are the Sonic X 4kids voice actors. Though the Sonic Adventure 1 voices were also pretty terrible as well (they got better in SA2 and Heroes, but they were still kind of meh). Colors used an entirely new cast for Sonic and Tails, and they're actually really good so far.
---
-Granville