3DS Goes on sale in Japan - interest is moderate

#1TowelFightPosted 8/11/2011 8:04:47 AM
http://kotaku.com/5829867/the-3ds-launches-at-a-lower-price-some-japanese-people-buy-it

Not the landslide people were expecting, but decent. Analysts are still calling for Nintendo to start making games for the more successful iOS platform according to Bloomberg. While it's likely that Nintendo will at least dabble in licensing their properties down the road, solid 3DS sales could stave off the inevitable for a while longer.

On the other hand, if there's no more interest in the 3DS beyond a temporary sale bump, expect to see Kirby Touch sooner rather than later. And seeing as third-parties are still maintaining a "wait-and-see" attitude with the 3DS, it's very possible that the software support required for the full impact of the pricedown may not materialize when it's sorely needed.
---
PSN ID: TowelFight
#2seafoampheonixPosted 8/11/2011 8:07:50 AM
I'm buying one next week, but damn I'm really want KH3D
---
If I'm not on GameFAQs, I'm on YouTube >_<
#3pikachupwnagePosted 8/11/2011 8:08:19 AM
TowelFight posted...
http://kotaku.com/5829867/the-3ds-launches-at-a-lower-price-some-japanese-people-buy-it

Not the landslide people were expecting, but decent. Analysts are still calling for Nintendo to start making games for the more successful iOS platform according to Bloomberg. While it's likely that Nintendo will at least dabble in licensing their properties down the road, solid 3DS sales could stave off the inevitable for a while longer.

On the other hand, if there's no more interest in the 3DS beyond a temporary sale bump, expect to see Kirby Touch sooner rather than later. And seeing as third-parties are still maintaining a "wait-and-see" attitude with the 3DS, it's very possible that the software support required for the full impact of the pricedown may not materialize when it's sorely needed.

the die i see nintendo make games for the smartphone is the day i die
---
If you believe in JESUS and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig. 3DS ambassador member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#4seanskatePosted 8/11/2011 8:10:42 AM
once the system seller titles start rolling out people will eat the 3ds up.. try telling your 10 year old it can't play the new pokemon.. and people will kill for mario kart and super mario 3d.
---
PSN = BakerBoard
XBL = ClickedButton
#5TowelFight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 8:11:16 AM
I'm buying one next week, but damn I'm really want KH3D

You're in for a long wait.
---
#6CapnStankyPosted 8/11/2011 8:12:47 AM
seanskate posted...
once the system seller titles start rolling out people will eat the 3ds up.. try telling your 10 year old it can't play the new pokemon.. and people will kill for mario kart and super mario 3d.

No they won't. People want iPhones and iPads now. Especially kids.
#7LordAndrewPosted 8/11/2011 8:14:02 AM
Didn't it just happen? This isn't a launch, it's just a price drop. People don't wait in line for price drops. Exceeds expectations, for me.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
#8vgfanboyPosted 8/11/2011 8:16:28 AM
I never expected a crazy sales boost. Pricing was part of the problem. The other is compelling games. The price drop is permanent, so there's point in rushing and buying it now to just wait for the games coming out this holiday.

Plus why would people line up just for the price drop. The excitement of it being a new console isn't there anymore. You can pick it up at your leisure.
#9nintendoggerPosted 8/11/2011 8:17:30 AM
CapnStanky posted...
seanskate posted...

No they won't. People want iPhones and iPads now. Especially kids.

While I agree, I still agree with sean more. Parents are gonna snatch these up this holiday for their kids. Most of us ignore kids who ask for ipads and ipods. You're too little dammit!
---
Official 3DS Looper.
Proud female gamer.
#10TowelFight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 8:22:05 AM(edited)

Maybe, maybe not. Even some of the highest rated first-party software of all time wasn't enough to keep the N64 and Gamecube from languishing in a very distant second and third place respectively. Third-party support is key for rounding out a catalog and keeping all release windows full. Hard is it may be to believe, a great many people don't base their year around the next Mario or Zelda launch. And as it's been noted elsewhere Super Mario Galxy 2 didn't exactly set the world on fire sales-wise, despite claims of it being "ZOMGawesomeBBqgreatestgameeVAAAAAR1!!111!!!!".

The 3DS has some stiff competition this gen and Nintendo has never done a good job at directly competing with its rivals when all are on roughly equal footing. Nintendo doesn't have the added benefits of strong-arm tactics, lower priced software, ubiquitous third-party support, a largely empty marketplace, etc. this time around.
---