3DS Goes on sale in Japan - interest is moderate

#61FivePoundNotePosted 8/11/2011 1:39:24 PM
If Nintendo started making iOS games then they may as well go the whole hog and become third party, because the exclusivity of their software is their USP, and is the only thing that can dig the 3DS out of the hole it's in.

Nintendo turning to iOS would also spell the beginning of the end for me and handheld gaming.
#62NnamzPosted 8/11/2011 2:32:47 PM
FivePoundNote posted...
If Nintendo started making iOS games then they may as well go the whole hog and become third party, because the exclusivity of their software is their USP, and is the only thing that can dig the 3DS out of the hole it's in.

Nintendo turning to iOS would also spell the beginning of the end for me and handheld gaming.

This. So this.

Heck I've always been more partial to PSP than DS, and that probably will be the same this gen with Vita and 3DS unless something terrible happens to Vita. But it's as clear as day if Nintendo isn't there holding down the dedicated handheld front, Sony would be screwed against iOS. They really aren't competing against each other in the grand scheme of things, they're both competing against iOS.
---
PSN ID: Nnamz
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402
#63QuinnandGoblinPosted 8/11/2011 2:45:59 PM
Towel accuses others of fanboyism but ignores how the game industrys history itself has gone in the past.

PS2 outsold PS3 for a long long time.....according to towel OMGZ PS3 IS FAIL COS IT WAS GETTING OUTSOLD BY AN OLDER CONSOLE THAT WAS CHEAP WITH A MASS LIST OF AVAILABLE GAMES......

gba outsold DS for a long time.....see above

Towel, don't accuse others of fanboyism when you're nothing more than one of the biggest going around, and aren't willing or able to grasp how the industry works, or why the numbers go as they currently are.

PS3 didn't fail in the end did it, DS didn't fail in the end did it, and 3ds is not failing, its sometimes....sometimes being outsold by a VERY cheap handheld in japan that has been selling like hotcakes the past year with a 6 year catalog of games. Thats how the circle works.
#64psoesmPosted 8/11/2011 4:58:02 PM
My attack must have been super effective. Pikachu fainted.
---
Hello. I'm Psoesm and I game on Linux!
This ad paid for by Ubuntu.
#65ixoriaPosted 8/11/2011 4:59:22 PM
psp is outselling it, if it cant even beat psp then what i cant imagine what ps vita will do to it.
#66pikachupwnagePosted 8/11/2011 5:03:14 PM
TowelFight posted...
once the system seller titles start rolling out people will eat the 3ds up.. try telling your 10 year old it can't play the new pokemon.. and people will kill for mario kart and super mario 3d.

Maybe, maybe not. Even some of the highest rated first-party software of all time wasn't enough to keep the N64 and Gamecube from languishing in a very distant second and third place respectively. Third-party support is key for rounding out a catalog and keeping all release windows full. Hard is it may be to believe, a great many people don't base their year around the next Mario or Zelda launch. And as it's been noted elsewhere Super Mario Galxy 2 didn't exactly set the world on fire sales-wise, despite claims of it being "ZOMGawesomeBBqgreatestgameeVAAAAAR1!!111!!!!".

The 3DS has some stiff competition this gen and Nintendo has never done a good job at directly competing with its rivals when all are on roughly equal footing. Nintendo doesn't have the added benefits of strong-arm tactics, lower priced software, ubiquitous third-party support, a largely empty marketplace, etc. this time around.

smg2 has been out for a year and has sold well over 6.94 mil which is better then 99% of games sell.
---
If you believe in JESUS and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig. 3DS ambassador member of the Extraordinary League of Nuzlockers
#67JackstinPosted 8/11/2011 5:41:41 PM
pikachupwnage posted...

smg2 has been out for a year and has sold well over 6.94 mil which is better then 99% of games sell.

This is Mario. MARIO. That is Final Fantasy XIII level sales. If a main series Mario game with great reviews, is selling roughly the same as a poorly reviewed Final Fantasy game, then it is doing something VERY wrong.
#68ferofaxPosted 8/11/2011 5:51:57 PM
what, people buy little kids iPhones and iPads? holy crap, you guys are that rich, or are expensive gadgets just toys to you?

wtf. unless by "little kids" you mean "successful 30-, 40-yo businessmen with serious cash to burn".
---
PSzero FC: 3523-7125-5632, COD:MWM, MPH, FFTA2