I'd be stupid NOT to get a 3DS for $100 right?

#1Naveen93Posted 8/11/2011 5:40:32 PM
So I have an old DS Lite that I rarely use AND I'm a member of GameStop's Power Up Rewards Pro program. This weekend, I can get a 3DS for $100. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I should get it or not though.

On one hand, $99 for a relatively new and powerful game console is an amazing deal. On the other hand, there really aren't many games that I'm interested in. I'd most likely be getting Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 when it's released (I have only played bits and pieces of the original games) but aside from that, I'm not interested in anything else until later in the year (but at that point, I'll be in school and won't have as much time to play games).

So pretty much, it comes down to how good of an investment this will be. Does the 3DS' future look bright? Will it be the next Virtual Boy? Will there be a new model coming soon? I haven't been paying much attention to the 3DS before the price drop, so I'd appreciate it if you guys can answer these questions and just in general let me know whether it's worth it or not. I know there are probably a bunch of these kinds of topics with the price cuts, but I'd really appreciate it.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started 1/27/2011
#2GonTo30Posted 8/11/2011 5:42:00 PM
No revisions so far
No more price cuts
It will not be the VB all over again
Its future is very bright
---
3DS owner waiting for Super Mario 3D Land
#3nintendoggerPosted 8/11/2011 5:42:23 PM
TC answer this, is your DS lite worth more or less than $70 to you? If it's worth less then get rid of it and do the trade in. If you think it's more than keep it, and wait for a 3DS. I'm sure a deal like this will come along again.
---
Official 3DS Looper.
Proud female gamer.
#4JP_SartrePosted 8/11/2011 5:42:56 PM
Naveen93 posted...
So I have an old DS Lite that I rarely use AND I'm a member of GameStop's Power Up Rewards Pro program. This weekend, I can get a 3DS for $100. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I should get it or not though.

On one hand, $99 for a relatively new and powerful game console is an amazing deal. On the other hand, there really aren't many games that I'm interested in. I'd most likely be getting Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 when it's released (I have only played bits and pieces of the original games) but aside from that, I'm not interested in anything else until later in the year (but at that point, I'll be in school and won't have as much time to play games).

So pretty much, it comes down to how good of an investment this will be. Does the 3DS' future look bright? Will it be the next Virtual Boy? Will there be a new model coming soon? I haven't been paying much attention to the 3DS before the price drop, so I'd appreciate it if you guys can answer these questions and just in general let me know whether it's worth it or not. I know there are probably a bunch of these kinds of topics with the price cuts, but I'd really appreciate it.

I predict there will be a new version in a year or less, possibly an XL version.
---
"I also care about the people that don't care about not caring. If we get on these boards, we all kinda care."
-Perrywinkle97
#5Naveen93(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 5:59:12 PM
My DS Lite is pretty much worthless to me right now so that's definitely not a factor. Pretty much all that concerns me is the future of the 3DS. From what I can tell, it seems kinda unpredictable right now. What are the chances the 3DS eventually has a library that matches the quality of the DS?

Also, does anyone think that starting tomorrow, 3DS's will be difficult to find in stores because of the price cut?
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started 1/27/2011
#6jordandrakoPosted 8/11/2011 6:02:19 PM
You can't get the 3DS for $99 when trading in a dsl. Only when trading in a dsi xl. The DS Lite trade in will get you one for $129.99.
Either way you'd be stupid to not get one at that price unless you want to keep your lite to play GBA games on.

Source: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/
---
FC: 0645-5830-9568 Now Playing: DOA: D, Dementium II, Zelda, Magicka, 999
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.
#7xLexLuth0rxPosted 8/11/2011 6:02:57 PM
^ $119.99
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
"And like that... *poof* he's gone."
#8JP_SartrePosted 8/11/2011 6:04:21 PM
Naveen93 posted...
My DS Lite is pretty much worthless to me right now so that's definitely not a factor. Pretty much all that concerns me is the future of the 3DS. From what I can tell, it seems kinda unpredictable right now. What are the chances the 3DS eventually has a library that matches the quality of the DS?

Also, does anyone think that starting tomorrow, 3DS's will be difficult to find in stores because of the price cut?

I think it is quite possible, save for three factors that may affect the final outcome-

*Poor release build quality

*Third party developers are not exaclly lining up to create games for the 3ds

*The world economy is bad. This will put a dent in all sales of all video games.

In answer to your last question- No. I think availability will not be a problem.
---
"I also care about the people that don't care about not caring. If we get on these boards, we all kinda care."
-Perrywinkle97
#9JP_SartrePosted 8/11/2011 6:05:42 PM
jordandrako posted...
You can't get the 3DS for $99 when trading in a dsl. Only when trading in a dsi xl. The DS Lite trade in will get you one for $129.99.
Either way you'd be stupid to not get one at that price unless you want to keep your lite to play GBA games on.

The problem is that 3DS displays DS games very poorly. No way I'd trade in my DSi, for this reason.
---
-Perrywinkle97
#10jordandrakoPosted 8/11/2011 6:07:31 PM
JP_Sartre posted...
jordandrako posted...

The problem is that 3DS displays DS games very poorly. No way I'd trade in my DSi, for this reason.

You'd have to be REALLY nit picky to say that this shows them poorly when its a portable game made for a system that came out 7 years ago.
---
FC: 0645-5830-9568 Now Playing: DOA: D, Dementium II, Zelda, Magicka, 999
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.