Busted DS Lite: How do I get rid of it?

#1egg_troopaPosted 8/11/2011 7:24:39 PM
I currently have this red DS Lite, but hope to get a 3DS soon, but I doubt they would let me trade in my old DS Lite since it's pretty trashed. The top part won't stay in place, you can't see anything in the top screen unless it's at the right angle, and the L button doesn't work. I'm considering just disposing of it, but I know I can't just throw it in the trash. Is there anyway to properly dispose of such devices, maybe have it recycled?
#2General_DodannaPosted 8/11/2011 7:25:22 PM
Best Buy recycles
#3MEDUSAvs_SHOEPosted 8/11/2011 7:25:33 PM
join EB pro rewards and trade it in this weekend and get the 3ds for $100
---
NEVER take loans from Sallie Mae, for they are criminals...
#4boriseePosted 8/11/2011 7:30:51 PM
Best solution: Bust it up some more until it is no longer operational!
---
Thirteen and Proud!
Freedom is not free.
#5NinjaKitsunePosted 8/11/2011 7:34:13 PM
Gamestop might still take it, just not for as much. Failing that, you might check locally owned used-game stores if there are any around.
---
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated.
#6surrooPosted 8/11/2011 7:36:01 PM
Sell it for cheap. Someone will buy it and fix it up for their kid, or to sell it off.

If you take it to someone for "recycling", they'll fix it up and sell it off, and you'll won't have anything to show for it.
#7RPG_OverlordPosted 8/11/2011 7:36:22 PM
You might be able to fix the L Button issue, though it might depend on what you mean when you say it "doesn't work".

If you can press the L Button and it makes the usual clicking noise, but the system isn't recognizing your pressing it, try the method here: http://schlaghund.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/low-tech-ds-lite-lr-button-fix/

I had a problem with my DS Lite's L Button not being recognized and was a little skeptical of the method in here, but once I tried it, it worked, which stunned me.
#8Naveen93Posted 8/11/2011 8:19:17 PM
NinjaKitsune posted...
Gamestop might still take it, just not for as much. Failing that, you might check locally owned used-game stores if there are any around.

There's no way GameStop would take it. I tried trading in my DS Lite last year and they wouldn't take it at all because there was a small crack on the hinge (it was purely cosmetic, it didn't affect anything and I honestly didn't even know it was there until they mentioned it to me). A couple of years before that, they wouldn't accept by GBA because it didn't have the cover for the battery slot on the back. In both cases, they told me that they'd accept it, but they wouldn't be able to give me any money for them.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started 1/27/2011
#9Second_ChancesPosted 8/11/2011 8:21:35 PM
They'll take it, but you'll lost 25 bucks for refurbishing.
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#106speednissanPosted 8/11/2011 8:28:47 PM
Sold my broken Lite for 35 bucks on ebay.