How big are 3DS games?

#1EternalNetherPosted 8/12/2011 1:15:17 PM
I'm referring to the size of the game card that they come on. With the graphics this thing is capable of I would imagine them to be fairly large. I'm also hoping they are large enough to allow more fully-voiced games to be released. It feels especially important for RPGs (which I'm sure will be abundant). I enjoyed my DS RPGs, but I do miss the days of fully voiced cutscenes and what-not. 358/2 Days had a bit, but no that much. I heard that voiceovers are what tend to gobble up memory on these discs/cartridges, not the graphics.

Also, are developers maxing out the potential of the 3DS graphics early on, or is it really just that capable of a system? Resident Evil looks spectacular (the one that isn't out yet) and the screenshots of Beyond the Labyrinth are mind-boggling. It makes me wonder if they are maxing the hardware early on or if the graphics will continue to get better throughout its lifespan.
---
Intel i5 2500 I Sabertooth P67 I 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw X Series RAM I Nvidia GTX 460 Hawk I Seasonic X 650w I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB I CM Storm Scout
#2ian2093Posted 8/12/2011 1:17:46 PM
They are the exact size of DS games except for a little notch in the top left (might be right) corner that is all of 2 millimeters by 2 millimeters.

As for maxing out the graphics, I seriously doubt anyone has, because as history has shown us, graphics can only get better for systems as time goes on.
---
When all else fails, rage quit.
#3Second_ChancesPosted 8/12/2011 1:17:59 PM
32MB~8GB or something like that. Maybe 16GB.
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#4EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2011 1:19:58 PM
ian2093 posted...
They are the exact size of DS games except for a little notch in the top left (might be right) corner that is all of 2 millimeters by 2 millimeters.

As for maxing out the graphics, I seriously doubt anyone has, because as history has shown us, graphics can only get better for systems as time goes on.

I actually meant in terms of memory space =). But thanks. I was actually wondering about that as well.
---
Intel i5 2500 I Sabertooth P67 I 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw X Series RAM I Nvidia GTX 460 Hawk I Seasonic X 650w I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB I CM Storm Scout
#5lockheart47Posted 8/12/2011 1:21:18 PM
I'm fairly sure theyre just 2GB big, theyll come out with bigger ones later but everything now is just on a 2GB
#6SlaysmePosted 8/12/2011 1:30:59 PM
I think you're gonna need a bigger box.
---
3ds boards. Home of the Super Nintendo Defender Squad! We are here to stand behind terrible ideology and slowly improving from archaic business practices.
#7AzoemiaPosted 8/12/2011 1:39:37 PM
sanke eater will be the first game on the 3ds to use a 4gb card
#8CommanderxGreenPosted 8/12/2011 1:49:11 PM(edited)
EternalNether posted...
I heard that voiceovers are what tend to gobble up memory on these discs/cartridges, not the graphics.

Yeah, non-synthesized sound takes up space faster than just about everything else. That and pre-rendered video. Even with compression, there just isn't a great way to store that kind of information.

Anyway, cartridge capacity from launch is 2GB, which is half a gigabyte more than a GameCube disc (1.5GB). I hear DS games tended to only get as big as 128MB, which would make a 3DS cartridge 16x bigger, but I'm not sure exactly about the size of a DS cartridge. But it's not necessarily the case that all games will fill a cartridge to its maximum capacity-- in fact, it's quite rare. So comparing the sizes doesn't necessarily translate directly into terms of quality.

I think it's safe to say the potential is there for fully voiced-over games, though.

Also, if the rumors that 3DS is more powerful than a Gamecube, I should say the graphical capabilities have yet to be maxed. I'm hoping they'll be able to show us something really cool.
---
MegaMan Legends 3 is cancelled. I am dead inside.
#9FredSavage27Posted 8/12/2011 4:06:25 PM
EternalNether posted...
I enjoyed my DS RPGs, but I do miss the days of fully voiced cutscenes and what-not. 358/2 Days had a bit, but no that much. I heard that voiceovers are what tend to gobble up memory on these discs/cartridges, not the graphics.

Another reason the Kingdom Hearts games didn't have much voice acting is because the voiced cutscenes had to be FMV'd to look any good, which meant that the cutscenes ended up taking up even MORE space.
---
If you are agnostic and don't know what to make of it, steal this signature.
#10King_of_NerdsPosted 8/12/2011 4:18:55 PM
Nintendo limits the games to around 2GB, but they are capable of reaching 8GB. //
---
3DS: 1075-0740-6302 PSN: briantheuber123 "even a hobo also have money" - fakewars