A lot of developers talk about the difficulty of developing for the 3DS...

#1mahgah91Posted 8/12/2011 10:09:40 PM
...and they talk about how hard it is to figure out how to best optimize the 3DS' tools like 3D, gyroscope, touch, etc. and a lot of them are using that as an excuse to just sit back and watch for now.

My question is, why do you have to use every feature the 3DS has? You have the games that are kind of forced into that role like Phantom Hourglass where the game is made to use the features (while the features may not be optimal for the game) but some of the best games on the DS used traditional controls.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: Mahgah 1547-5225-3564
#2Baha05Posted 8/12/2011 10:13:00 PM
I would not be surprise if it's super easy and they just want to be lazy developers
#3frdetngnPosted 8/12/2011 10:13:15 PM
Really? I've read on a few article that developers are saying that 3ds is much easier to develop for than they thought it would be. Sorry, no source as I never really thought about saving them.
---
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was, "Oh no, not again."
#4PerascaminPosted 8/12/2011 10:24:25 PM
I heard 3DS was rally easy to develop for because of its shaders.
---
Thief of the Zelda woo board.
My sig is the sig that will be legendary!
#5mahgah91(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2011 10:27:40 PM
frdetngn posted...
Really? I've read on a few article that developers are saying that 3ds is much easier to develop for than they thought it would be. Sorry, no source as I never really thought about saving them.

lol, it's been my experience the other way around. It's been said a lot with the 3DS and the Wii U, devs are talking about how they're excited to develop on these systems but are trying to figure out how to use all those features at the moment. The ones who are actually creating games say the 3DS is easy to develop for, but I think that has more to do with the coding and programming aspect.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: Mahgah 1547-5225-3564
#6frdetngnPosted 8/12/2011 10:32:20 PM
mkbk posted...
lol, it's been my experience the other way around. It's been said a lot with the 3DS and the Wii U, devs are talking about how they're excited to develop on these systems but are trying to figure out how to use all those features at the moment. The ones who are actually creating games say the 3DS is easy to develop for, but I think that has more to do with the coding and programming aspect.

Oh, you mean just the extra hardware thats tacked on? Then thats definitely just an excuse. No one is asking for them to use all those little things, sometimes they add to a game but only if they center as a mechanic, not a gimmicky extra. Thats how game ideas get turned into shovelware.
---
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was, "Oh no, not again."
#7MetroidJunkiePosted 8/12/2011 10:36:41 PM
I would not be surprise if it's super easy and they just want to be lazy developers

No, making Resident Evil Mercenaries and Chaos Theory 3D, etc. Those were lazy. If they can't even get up to THAT level, they're beyond lazy.
#8Stefan1277Posted 8/12/2011 11:03:56 PM
It IS laziness. They just want to get the engine going, drop assets, basic scripting and run the game. Too lazy to figure out controllers, mechanics and how to make it 3D. Regardless of what most people thing the game industry is lazy and loose, everything asset related is fast and crappy (trust me, what you see in game aside from characters and hero assets are crappy 4 hours work) and scripts are copy paste from 10 years old scripts.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
#9ChikaraXPosted 8/13/2011 12:34:54 AM
I read it's not to difficult to develop games for the 3DS.

The problem they ARE having a hard time with is the stereoscopy (I stopped calling it 3D, for me it's now Stereoscopy, a flat surface emulating 3D, lol)

Obviously it's a lot easier to create a game with one~camera~angle~rendering (Like every other game) but now even the simplest designed game requires another camera.. So 2 different inputs having to be displayed simultaneously.

Wireframe/Polygon based games are still easier to turn stereoscopic compared to sprite-based games.. You'd have to create each level 2 times for the best effects (one for each eye).. Remember, they where having some technical issues with Excite Bike and that one of the easiest looking games evah.. THAT game only had the simple BackGround MidGround ForeGround like design, no additional random 3D effects.

On the PC there are videocards that can display many games in 3D even if the game doesn't support it.. Sometimes it works.. Sometimes it doesn't.. What doesn't work is the HUD.. For instance in games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls when you swing you weapon around you'll move through the HUD completely ruining the effect.. That's because the pop-out effect goes though something 'on the background'

Imagine how hard this all will become when HologramTVs will hit the market, lol.
#10VampiricDragon_Posted 8/13/2011 3:56:06 AM
then the ds must of been a nightmare to develop for since there werent even as many companies supporting it
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 2, SMT Devil Survivor 2, Grand Knight History, 7th dragon 2020, Paper Mario 3ds, Dragon Quest X, FF Type-0, LoH: Trails of Blue