I dont think this is as bad as the virtual boy.

#1spemshaPosted 8/13/2011 12:39:06 PM
Considering the virtual boy sold a total of 770,000 units. In around the same time the 3ds has sold 4.31 million.
---
Black FC: 4083 5700 1596
3DS FC: 0173 1295 2529
#2Untitled108Posted 8/13/2011 12:43:15 PM
If you find someone who thinks the Virtual Boy is better than the 3DS, I will give you a cookie.
---
Go to http://www.petitiononline.com/OpMnfall/petition.html and post this to your sig if you want Majora's Mask 3D.
#3spemsha(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 12:45:32 PM
Not saying the virtual boy is better then the 3ds. Just the fact that people compare the two in terms of success.
---
Black FC: 4083 5700 1596
3DS FC: 0173 1295 2529
#4stromvancouverPosted 8/13/2011 12:53:17 PM(edited)
The virtual boy was dead before it was released. The 32 bit consoles were getting released months earlier (some for less than the virtual boy) and it hardly even got noticed. Just different situations in the market.
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
http://i53.tinypic.com/30lkpz7.gif
#5toma13Posted 8/13/2011 12:53:30 PM
Virtual Boy wasn't marketed as a 3D system. It was "virtual reality". I don't know how many of you remember the mid-90s, but "virtual reality" was a huge buzzword back then. I remember kids spreading rumors that if you turned the Virtual Boy off the wrong way, your brain could become trapped in "cyber space" and you'd be stuck in the "virtual world" forever. The mid-90s was full of really messed up technical ignorance. We also didn't have message boards to complain about things on, just wacky friends with crazy ideas about technology. I suppose there were a few lucky kids with an internet connection, but that was pretty rare before the decade came to a close.
---
Username for pretty much everything: BngryBt
#6DT-FoxPosted 8/13/2011 12:54:57 PM
Its all just an unfortunate mix of "doom and gloom" news and what the 3DS has.

-Simply because it has 3D, people link it to the Virtural Boy.
-The 3DS sold better than when the DS was first launched, but because its not making Wii sales and is slowly chugging along, it's apparently "in trouble".
-The price drop was meant to entice people to pick up the system so it wouldn't be a lost cause, but folks are associating the really early price drop as "The system is doomed!"
-And don't forget the recent reports about Nintendo losing $330 Million though nothing was said about whether or not they're in the red or not (Spoiler: They're not)

Add all that and the fact that many consumers are short sighted (though they can somehow remember some historical events) and have little faith in ANYTHING to begin with, you get why folks are thinking that the 3DS will wind up like the Virtual Boy.
</spiel>
---
Next Let's Play: TBA
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTFaux
#7JeraleepPosted 8/13/2011 12:56:54 PM
the market for video games is much larger now than it was 16 years ago, so i'd say the numbers don't matter much
---
Proud hater of Team PS3rd place
#8stromvancouverPosted 8/13/2011 12:58:03 PM(edited)
toma13 posted...
Virtual Boy wasn't marketed as a 3D system. It was "virtual reality". I don't know how many of you remember the mid-90s, but "virtual reality" was a huge buzzword back then. I remember kids spreading rumors that if you turned the Virtual Boy off the wrong way, your brain could become trapped in "cyber space" and you'd be stuck in the "virtual world" forever. The mid-90s was full of really messed up technical ignorance. We also didn't have message boards to complain about things on, just wacky friends with crazy ideas about technology. I suppose there were a few lucky kids with an internet connection, but that was pretty rare before the decade came to a close.

You can't be serious. Were you in 3rd grade in the 90's? Do you really believe that everyone thought they were living in a keanu reeves movie? I truly hope you aren't that ignorant.
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
http://i53.tinypic.com/30lkpz7.gif
#9JeraleepPosted 8/13/2011 1:10:37 PM(edited)
stromvancouver posted...
toma13 posted...

You can't be serious. Were you in 3rd grade in the 90's? Do you really believe that everyone thought they were living in a keanu reeves movie? I truly hope you aren't that ignorant.

i doubt anybody really believed that... but... uh... i bet a lot of us were in the 3rd grade in the 1990's... how old were you!?

oh, and if you believe anybody actually believed that, i question whether you just came out of third grade.
---
Proud hater of Team PS3rd place