Anti-aliasing

#1HollowNinjaPosted 8/13/2011 5:15:46 PM
Why do 3DS games not have anti-aliasing? The jaggies get really annoying, and if what we've heard about it is true, it's powerful enough to handle it - so why aren't we seeing more of it?
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL
#2strongo9Posted 8/13/2011 5:23:33 PM
3DS games have AA during 2D gameplay only. The 3D uses a lot of processing power, so AA is sacrificed for it.
---
I can't wait for Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Paper Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2,
Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby Wii, and Skyward Sword!
#3fire2boxPosted 8/13/2011 5:24:17 PM
I guess the devs think jaggies don't matter as long as its in 3D.
---
"If you find something that you feel you belong to, become a groupie and a fan, and then a critic." Starlee Kine
#4SShredder565Posted 8/13/2011 5:25:26 PM(edited)
The only retail 3DS game I've played was OoT: 3D, and it's beautiful. The AA makes it so you actually have to look for jaggies. It looks like it loses the AA when the 3D effect is on though.

Now Let's Golf 3D.. while it's a good game, it has no AA whether 3D is on or off.
#5VenomRECPosted 8/13/2011 5:31:25 PM
What do you call the distortion when your running thru hyrule field? The ground appears to be somewhat static, kinda like in summer & you stare across the street & see the air boiling.
---
DBZ BT3 [4941-4539-7422]
Psn:Venomreq
#6VobeDarkElfPosted 8/13/2011 5:36:44 PM
That is the result of looking at a texture at an angle. There just aren't enough pixels on the screen to reproduce all of that detail. The end result is a weird 'wet' look in the distance. On PC games you can typically fix this by enabling anisotropic filtering (16x works best). But as with any graphic feature, enabling this kind of thing will come at the cost of some framerate.

3D and Anti-aliasing are both very graphics intensive functions. Either one of them will cause a huge hit to framerate, which I assume is why 3DS games only do one or the other.
#7Icymane_ShadoPosted 8/13/2011 5:54:34 PM
strongo9 posted...
3DS games have AA during 2D gameplay only. The 3D uses a lot of processing power, so AA is sacrificed for it.

From what I know about the 3DS, traditional AA is simply impossible in 3D mode.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#8SkyCrackersPosted 8/13/2011 5:57:59 PM
Icymane_Shado posted...

From what I know about the 3DS, traditional AA is simply impossible in 3D mode.

This is not true. 2 anti-alisased images + 3D screen = 3D anti-aliased image.
---
Best 2D Mario game: Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
#9OmegaZero633Posted 8/13/2011 5:58:10 PM
SSFIV, DOA, and Resident Evil all use AA in 2D mode on the 3DS.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956.
Let me know if you want to add me so I can add you. :)
#10HollowNinja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 6:15:16 PM
SShredder565 posted...
The only retail 3DS game I've played was OoT: 3D, and it's beautiful. The AA makes it so you actually have to look for jaggies. It looks like it loses the AA when the 3D effect is on though.

Now Let's Golf 3D.. while it's a good game, it has no AA whether 3D is on or off.

OoT definitely doesn't have AA. It was the game that inspired me to make this topic, actually.

VobeDarkElf posted...
That is the result of looking at a texture at an angle. There just aren't enough pixels on the screen to reproduce all of that detail. The end result is a weird 'wet' look in the distance. On PC games you can typically fix this by enabling anisotropic filtering (16x works best). But as with any graphic feature, enabling this kind of thing will come at the cost of some framerate.

3D and Anti-aliasing are both very graphics intensive functions. Either one of them will cause a huge hit to framerate, which I assume is why 3DS games only do one or the other.

Anisotropic filtering shouldn't have a huge impact on the framerate at all. I've never seen it drop my framerate more than about 2-3 frames, and that's in particularly intensive areas. Even then, it's never more than I'd lose anyways through vsync.

AA, on the other hand, can hit performance massively. However, the 3DS should be able to handle 4x on OoT, given the 3DS's specs and the graphics of OoT. Since it's capped at 30 fps anyways, I can't imagine it having a significant effect.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja Steam: DJ illi ill
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL XBL: DJ iLLi iLL