3DS wifi with DS games?

#1Playstation_007Posted 8/14/2011 7:43:21 AM
So with regular DS games you had to configure your wifi settings from the DS game cart, while the 3DS has you set the wifi from the 3DS itself. This problem didn't occur to me until I tried playing Pokemon Black on 3DS, but then the game gave me the option of setting Black's wifi to my 3DS's wifi which I did.

Now the problem is with Dragon Quest 9: I thought it would do the same, but when I go to set the wifi settings on the game, and I choose search for a connection, it says something similar to not being able to connect because the DS does not support my security settings. I thought this didn't make any sense because my 3DS connects with my wifi perfectly fine...

Does anyone know if there is a way to remedy this?
---
Well, when Artemis Fowl says he'll be back, you know it's going to take a lot more than space and time to stop him.
#2Lost_Seraph09Posted 8/14/2011 7:44:53 AM
Short Answer: Pokemon and the 3DS support WPA, DQ9 does not.
#3curryandricePosted 8/14/2011 7:45:19 AM
For old DS games (Black is a DSi game) you can't use WPA security on your wireless router.
---
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ptax7a.png http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/EpicImmenseCurry.png
#4Playstation_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 8:20:48 AM
Well, damn.

Uh... is it possible to somehow tweak my house's wifi so that the DS can accept it?
---
Well, when Artemis Fowl says he'll be back, you know it's going to take a lot more than space and time to stop him.
#5Playstation_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 8:39:11 AM
bump
---
#6LordAndrewPosted 8/14/2011 8:41:31 AM
Playstation_007 posted...
Well, damn.

Uh... is it possible to somehow tweak my house's wifi so that the DS can accept it?

Yes, by configuring your router to use the less secure WEP.
---
Official 3DS Ambassador
Now playing: Atelier Iris 3, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, that game with the mobster on the box
#7Playstation_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 8:44:13 AM
Okay thanks, I will try and find out how to get that done.
---
#8Mario788Posted 8/14/2011 8:44:16 AM
What I do is type this into the URL bar.

If you type that in, you can go to your routers settings, and change its SSID (name), security, and other things.
#9BBlackfordPosted 8/14/2011 8:52:25 AM
I had the exact same problem, but I wasn't willing to change my router to anything less than WPA2.

I found a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector online for $20. So now when I want to play a DS game online with my 3DS, I just go in to the Wi-Fi options and choose "connect to USB".

I would highly recommend getting one, but they're a little expensive these days. I got a good deal, but typically they sell for $40-50 because Nintendo discontinued them. Just don't buy those off-brand black USB connectors on eBay/Amazon.The reviews for them are awful.
#10Playstation_007(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 3:10:33 PM
Huh... well it turns out that I can switch the security settings by resetting the modom, but it is a trade off; If I switch the settings my computer won't let get on the internet but I will be able to connect with my DS. I had to do that, get the stuff from wifi, then reset it again to it's default position where I can get internet.

My question is: would it be a bad idea to do this double resetting thing every day? Like could there or would there be any consequences of doing so (other than the obviously unnecessary tediousness)?
---