Question about gamestop deal

#11LurtzOfIsengardPosted 8/16/2011 11:02:01 AM
Did I really have to link you to their trade in estimator?
http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/
look for yourself.
I saw it on a random ad for themselves on the website, but put in either hand held and it will say $75 and $50 for the other one.
Sorry, do not feel like posting screen shots for ya.
#12Soul_DevourPosted 8/16/2011 11:13:01 AM
Foofyhead posted...
Of course the trade-in amounts change all the time.

And 15 dollars isn't much, considering the hundreds you would save every year.

Anyway, you don't need the pro-card to get the trade in values you're talking about. But, you do need it to get an even better offer.

I'll put it a better way: I traded in a DSLite, and got a new 3DS for 99.99 (with my card). That's 70 dollars off.

Now, I trade in a DSLite without the card (for a new 3DS), and I have to pay 119.99.

Guess what? You become a member for 15 dollars, that's 5 dollars less than the difference in trade-in value for non-members.

The point is, you would actually save 5 dollars by getting a card now, even if you never use it again.

1) You're not saving hundreds unless you spend thousands or trade in a lot of games (which usually don't have good trade-in values even with the card)

2) Best Buy has a better deal if I remember correctly and you don't need to spend 15 dollars to take advantage of it.

3) There is no #3
---
2011 Baltimore Orioles: 45-70
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/SoulDevour.jpg
#13pandawok56(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2011 2:26:58 PM
LurtzOfIsengard posted...
look for yourself.
I saw it on a random ad for themselves on the website, but put in either hand held and it will say $75 and $50 for the other one.

I did and it only said like $20 for the lite and i think $40 something for the dsi...but I bought it at gamestop for about $86 after tax if I remember correctly
#14FoofyheadPosted 8/16/2011 5:01:50 PM(edited)
Soul Devour posted...
Foofyhead posted...
Of course the trade-in amounts change all the time.

And 15 dollars isn't much, considering the hundreds you would save every year.

Anyway, you don't need the pro-card to get the trade in values you're talking about. But, you do need it to get an even better offer.

I'll put it a better way: I traded in a DSLite, and got a new 3DS for 99.99 (with my card). That's 70 dollars off.

Now, I trade in a DSLite without the card (for a new 3DS), and I have to pay 119.99.

Guess what? You become a member for 15 dollars, that's 5 dollars less than the difference in trade-in value for non-members.

The point is, you would actually save 5 dollars by getting a card now, even if you never use it again.

1) You're not saving hundreds unless you spend thousands or trade in a lot of games (which usually don't have good trade-in values even with the card)

2) Best Buy has a better deal if I remember correctly and you don't need to spend 15 dollars to take advantage of it.

3) There is no #3

Best Buy has the better deal now...........I had forgotten about the lapse in GS's deal.

However, it is quite easy to save hundreds at GS, not at Best Buy. Best Buy is not a good place to buy games.

If you don't spend thousands every year on games, then you really wouldn't be knowledgeable about the subject, or probably wouldn't spend most of your free time playing games. And therefore, are irrelevant in this discussion.

Anyway, say I buy a game used (priced at 55 dollars), I save another 5 because of my membership.

I buy 5 games one day, that's 25 dollars in one day.

I only need to do that a few times each year (25*12=a few hundred).

In other words, 20 games used is several hundred dollars saved.

I wouldn't be surprised if most gamers buy that in one quarter, let alone, a year.

That isn't even counting other used game discounts (under 55 dollars). Not to mention Game Stop's price drops and deals are ridiculous. I haven't seen the same at BB, or anywhere else.

I can't go to Best Buy and buy three used games for 30 bucks......ones that are any good.
GS also has several deals a year on new games (BB does not, though they do sell greatest hits, like everyone else).

April and May is a great day to buy games at GS. I bought several new games (ones that were 60 dollars in March) at less than half the price, if not a quarter.

Then, there are the actual Power Rewards points. I racked up about 40,000 in a few months. I'm not a rich person either (I get paid 1000 a month). I can use that to buy crap like PSN Cards, or something. Forty dollars in PSN cards for 40,000 points, thats pretty good. Best Buy's Reward Zone sucks. I hardly ever get points, GS hands them out like candy.

So, yeah, I could go on, but you want game deals, you don't go to Best Buy.

Sure, GS has some annoying policies, but most of them are nitpicking.
---
Are you finished? I've had enough of your speeches.
And, I've had enough of YOU!
#15Soul_DevourPosted 8/17/2011 1:46:34 PM
...I was gonna take you seriously, but you said you pay 55 dollars for used games.

Who the heck does that?

Alright class, listen up, because I hate explaining things twice.

Let's say you wanna buy Black Ops because, I dunno, you like FPS. You could go to Gamestop and pay 55 used there. But wait, you have a power rewards pro card so you get an extra 10 dollars off.

54.99 - 5.50 = $49.49 + tax. Not bad.

You could also try best buy. They don't have a special card, BUT Black Ops is 39.99 used there.

$39.99 + tax.

Or perhaps Amazon is more up your alley.

~$25 to $33 dollars and maybe tax, depending on the system, shipping and state you live in,

Now keep in mind that you must pay 15 dollars to get the 10% discount from Gamestop. So basically, you're still 10 dollars in the hole from your little card while I've paid nearly half the price and no tax from amazon.

Another example, let's take Catherine, a fairly new game:

Gamestop used: 54.99 - 5.50 = $49.49 + Plus Tax
Amazon used OR new for PS3 = ~$48.99 after shipping charges and before a possible tax charge.
Amazon used for the 360 = ~$42.98 after shipping charges and before a possible tax charge.

And let's keep in mind this is a quite a new game, it's barely 3 weeks old and Amazon can still not only match but beat Gamestop's price AND you don't have to pay 15 dollars to get Gamestop's price.

Now, I'm not saying that Gamestop never is worth it, there are some rarer games that you can get for a good price there, but Gamestop is not always the place to get deals.

And by the way. If you're spending $3,000 dollars for 60 used games at 50 bucks a piece (after that discount) you're doing something very wrong and don't know how to spend money. Not to mention, you would be playing games at a rate of a new one every 6 days. There's not very many games I can beat in 6 days, especially with work and college and it'd be far more beneficial NOT to buy the games unless I really wanted to play them immediately.

Oh and by the way, for the points you get, it's ridiculous how much you have to spend to get enough for something. 5000 points basically costs 250 bucks to get and that's worth about...5 bucks.

TL;DR: Amazon is one of the most reliable and best ways to save money without having to have a special card and buying 60 games used at 50 bucks a piece a year is a terrible idea.

I'd call troll, but whatever. I like educating people as well.
---
#16OoSubaruoOPosted 8/17/2011 1:51:11 PM
LurtzOfIsengard posted...
look for yourself.

I just randomly checked an estimate for the DSlite, it's not 50$, it's a 25$ gift card >_>.
#17OoSubaruoOPosted 8/17/2011 1:53:35 PM
Soul Devour posted...
...I was gonna take you seriously, but you said you pay 55 dollars for used games.

Who the heck does that?

Alright class, listen up, because I hate explaining things twice.

Let's say you wanna buy Black Ops because, I dunno, you like FPS. You could go to Gamestop and pay 55 used there. But wait, you have a power rewards pro card so you get an extra 10 dollars off.

54.99 - 5.50 = $49.49 + tax. Not bad.

You could also try best buy. They don't have a special card, BUT Black Ops is 39.99 used there.

$39.99 + tax.

Or perhaps Amazon is more up your alley.

~$25 to $33 dollars and maybe tax, depending on the system, shipping and state you live in,

Now keep in mind that you must pay 15 dollars to get the 10% discount from Gamestop. So basically, you're still 10 dollars in the hole from your little card while I've paid nearly half the price and no tax from amazon.

Another example, let's take Catherine, a fairly new game:

Gamestop used: 54.99 - 5.50 = $49.49 + Plus Tax
Amazon used OR new for PS3 = ~$48.99 after shipping charges and before a possible tax charge.
Amazon used for the 360 = ~$42.98 after shipping charges and before a possible tax charge.

And let's keep in mind this is a quite a new game, it's barely 3 weeks old and Amazon can still not only match but beat Gamestop's price AND you don't have to pay 15 dollars to get Gamestop's price.

Now, I'm not saying that Gamestop never is worth it, there are some rarer games that you can get for a good price there, but Gamestop is not always the place to get deals.

And by the way. If you're spending $3,000 dollars for 60 used games at 50 bucks a piece (after that discount) you're doing something very wrong and don't know how to spend money. Not to mention, you would be playing games at a rate of a new one every 6 days. There's not very many games I can beat in 6 days, especially with work and college and it'd be far more beneficial NOT to buy the games unless I really wanted to play them immediately.

Oh and by the way, for the points you get, it's ridiculous how much you have to spend to get enough for something. 5000 points basically costs 250 bucks to get and that's worth about...5 bucks.

TL;DR: Amazon is one of the most reliable and best ways to save money without having to have a special card and buying 60 games used at 50 bucks a piece a year is a terrible idea.

I'd call troll, but whatever. I like educating people as well.

First, not everyone lives in the US, so Amazon isn't worth it seeing how their S&H is ridiculous outside of the US.

Second, the US Amazon store is the only 1 to give gift cards for certain purchases.
#18Soul_DevourPosted 8/17/2011 1:56:54 PM(edited)
I didn't even mention gift cards >_>

And while it may not be worth it outside the U.S., I'll mention this is a primarily U.S. user filled site so Amazon is a good option to mention.
---